Hello ! I am new to this group but not new to Thyroiditis or diabetes. Just wondering who else here has Hashimoto's? I personally don't know anyone else so I would love to meet someone who shares this disease.Just in case no one know,Hashimotos is an autoimmune disease in which the immune system attacks the thyroid thinking it's "bad". One awful symptom I get are chronic hives all over.I usually get them on and off every year but this time,i have had them for 7 months! Anyone else have hive stories related to thyroiditis?
Its great to meet everyone here! :)

Views: 628

Replies to This Discussion

I have Hashimoto’s but don’t have hives - that is probably one of the few problems I don’t have because of it! Do you know if your levels are optimized, if not, that could be causing the problem. Your TSH should be below 1, your Free T4 mid-range of the lab values and the Free T3 at the upper 2/3rds of the lab values.

Since the Hashimoto’s can do attacks & retreats until it finally kills off your thyroid, you are probably going thru a longer attack.
Hi Kelly,Its really nice to meet you! I'm certainly not glad you have Hashimoto's but I'm excited to meet other people who have it :).
Last time my thyroid levels were checked,my TSH was 1.3 i think but I don't remember the other levels. My doc said they were "good" though.Which to me, doesn't mean much because a lot of people go by the text book and not how you feel because for everyone, its different. I just remember when they last checked my antibodies,they were really high.Lower that they used to be because i was in the 1000's range and now they are around 500 when they are supposed to be 20 or less.
These hives drive me crazy! Hopefully i'll get some relief soon.
Hi Angela, I have had (diagnosed as) Chronic Idiopathic Hives. I really don't talk about my hives much because I have been to every different type of doctor over the years and labeled with different diagnosis from Mastocytosis to Hereditary Angioedema, to Lupus. It was finally classified as chronic idiopathic hives, and told to reduce my stress levels (lol) I have had them for 27 yrs!!! The funny thing is is that the doctors have also known that I had high thyroid antibodies all this time. I was only diagnosed with Graves disease a few yrs ago. I have had many ER visits because of them. Have had to keep an Epi pen too (right near my glucogon)) Many different meds. After awhile the antihistimines don't work and I have to try a different one. Right now I take Zyrtec 10 mg. every night. If I skip even one night I'm covered with them. They are large wheals and very thick and red. I had read somewhere about hives and thyroid problems and had talked to the doctors about it. None were sure about it. You are the first person I know of with them also. Are you taking anything for them? Zyrtec has worked wonders for me. I hope yours go away. Let me know how you are doing as I know they are miserable. Cold showers help them. There are a lot of very knowledgable people on here and maybe someone will have some info about it. I hope so and will be following this thread also.
I have Hashimoto's (Autoimmune) thyroiditis with a goiter which was diagnosed in late summer or early fall of 1971 followed by the removal of the left node of my thyroid. I was diagnosed as hypothyroid about 1996, but I have never had any problems with hives; however, I have had problems with dry skin since a teenager (before the goiter) even with good TSH readings.
Hi! I have had Hashimoto's for 10+ years, and I have never had my doctor tell me what my TSH level was. Interesting to see the information on this board. I will definitely be asking when I go to see my endo in June!
I have Hashimoto's and I inherited it from my mom and She got it from her mom, my aunt also has it.
Wow. I had no idea there was a connection between hives and Hashimoto's. I was diagnosed with T1 and Hashimoto's last year.

But growing up, from grade three until I was about 20, I used to get hives if I got cold. Yay - weird. I didn't take any antihistamine for it because I would just go inside and they would go away after about 20 minutes. The allergist told me I'd grow out of it and for the most part I have.

I guess everything is all connected.
I was diagnosed with hashimotos about 5 years before I developed Adult onset Type 1 diabetes. They tell me that with having hashimotos and it being an autoimmune disorder it is common to get another autoimmune disorder. They felt that was I got diabetes later in life. I was 45 when diagnosed Typer one. My daughter had hashimotos at 18 and then Thyroid cancer and had the thyroid removed. Four years later she was diagnosed with Addison's... another autoimmune disorder.... so my experience has been if you have one autoimmune disorder you are more prone to get another.
I have had my antibody levels at 400-500, more than 15yrs now. Every time the level rises, I got hives. I didn't realise that those two conditions are related, and no doctor ever told me so. Thanks for sharing this piece of information, you really opened my eyes. I thought I was too stressed, allergic to flowers or dust!
My family has had 9 female members (through 3 generations) and we all have mild problems with our thyroid gland (I am the only one who also has diabetes), so I guess is not only an autoimmune but hereditary (in some families) too.
I also think that when you suffer from 1 autoimmune condition, you should be aware about others, too. We should ask our docs to be more carefull!
are you on thyroid medicine for your antibody levels? I have aronnd the same and my doctor just gave me thyroid meds and wasn't sure. I get nervous taking nu meds. Thanks!
I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's for close to 20 years, but am very new to diabetes (LADA). I haven't experienced hives. It took my BGs not going down for the doctors to look into an autoimmune reason even though I've got a long history of autoimmune disorders with my thyroid and arthritis. It's nice to know I'm not the only one out there whose immune system is on the attack...it's been kind of lonely since my recent diagnosis.
Kelley, glad you joined.You are not alone :)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service