I am curious to know if anyone else has ever lied about being diabetic. I have generally not told people at work that I have T1. I work in a place where people are pretty introverted, so hiding it has never been that hard.

I always keep a container of glucotabs on my desk so I can find them if I go low. No one has ever asked about them. Anyway, maybe it was that or my eagerness to go eat lunch one day, but about a year or two ago, a coworker asked if I was diabetic. Granted, she asked me at a really inappropriate moment (in front of other people), so I just lied and said no, but my blood sugar got low sometimes. I left it at that and she never brought it up again.

I started working with someone else this year, and she noticed the glucotabs and asked if I was diabetic (in a far more appropriate setting when we were alone). At first, I was going to lie like I did in the past --- but, for whatever reason, I didn't. I actually told her the truth. Turns out her ex was diabetic (T1 I assume, based on her description) so she undertsands to some degree.

The thing is, I never realized how detrimental "hiding" my diabetes at work was to my health. Or maybe I did but I've been looking the other way. For example, I was always scared of going low so I let my BGs run a little high, even though this made my A1C not so great. I also sometimes didn't make the best food choices at office parties (and would then sneak off afterwards to take some insulin to cover those indulgences).

This past year, I've been trying really hard to be better - I'm back on the pump, counting carbs (most of the time), and just generally trying to do the things I should be doing (like actually going to the doctors' appointments I've been putting off). But this also means that I have to be a bit more honest at work. I've told maybe two other people, and I am sure more people know by now. It makes me feel a little weird.

So, how have others handled this? Do you tell? Do you not tell? How do you handle all the moments where D can potentially come up?

Views: 88

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Agreed, an infusion set change at my desk is a bit too much (even *I* cringe when I do it!), but it's rare that I need to do that at work, but testing blood sugar or operating the pump doesn't faze me one bit. I keep the used test strips with me though; I don't want to throw them in the office trash and have the cleaning crew concerned about the bloody residue that's always near my desk!
Here's my solution for used strips at work. I'm rather proud of the art work :)
Whats wrong with just using the garbage can?
It's got blood on it. Some people might not like being exposed to another's blood when emptying the trash etc. Besides I wanted to see if I could draw a skull and crossed bones.
oh - you must work for a big money making company - My company was going thru bankruptcy and we emptied our own cans - no one seemed to notice.
I think because of the fact that most people are really shocked to know there is anything wrong with me that no one has ever asked me was I a diabetic. Not to mention I alsways have a reason for why I need to do what I need to do, like I just like to eat healthy, etc...so either no one is curious or they just wonder but do not ask. I am a very private person so usually if I do something like show odd behavior because I am having a low then I know to say something. If I dont I get the stares and concern looks but no one ever asks me, I think diabetes is the last thing anyone expects for me to say I have....
Interesting... when I was first diagnosed, I was shocked and upset an planned to keep quiet about it & deal with it privately. However, during my stay in ICU, a nosey co-worker (who I know, but am not close friends with) found out I was there and decided to broadcast it. When I went back to work a week later, another co-worker came right up to me and said, "hey, how are you? I heard you were in the hospital and you have diabetes." As p***ed as I was, I took a deep breath and calmly said, "I'm fine thanks. And yes, I have diabetes."

Well ok... so much for privacy.

It was summer, and I wear a uniform to work, so I was in short sleeves. I went online and purchased an ID bracelet immediately and began wearing it. I just put it out there. I also got a pendant & chain. I kept it simple, just my name and DIABETIC.

Next thing I knew, diabetics were coming out everywhere at work. We kind of have our own little Team D going, and a few of us use the same kind of meter, so we've shared supplies & everything. I can't say I prefer that people know, but, I'm ok with facing it the way I did.

Sometimes I feel weird because I know people judge me. "How did you get that?" I hate questions like that. But when that happens, no matter how I feel, I just hold my head up & try not to let it show that I'm annoyed. And, I try to keep my control as tight as possible when I'm at work, so no one can try & blame D for my performance.

I keep my supplies close. Tabs or gel in a pocket, meter in the car, OJ in the cup holder. I normally work alone, but, on the days I have had to work with a partner, I disclosed it right away... "if checking my bg in the car bothers you, let me know & I'll do it away from you," and, "I'm diabetic, so I'm gonna have to get something to eat in the car if we don't sit down for lunch." So far I haven't had any negative reactions... at least to my face.

I must add, though... I think most people have no manners at all... asking the personal questions, being all loud about what foods can and can't be consumed... just rude. When I can I just try to educate people, about my condition or diabetes in general.

However... if you choose to lie because you don't want to disclose it, you do what you have to do to survive in your work environment. If that co-worker hadn't found out about me and told everyone... I might be lying with you.
I have never lied about it but I also did not broadcast it. If someone asked, I would tell them. If they did not ask, I did not say anything.
I am very open about being diabetic and do not mind telling nor answering questions about it. I am confident , extroverted, articulate, and will talk about my health: This has so many times given others an outlet to discuss their own or loved ones's diabetes and health issues. I am a good listener as well; and I think that it is one of my "callings" to inform and to encourage others. I have not received any negative responses or treatment due to these disclosures, and I appreciate my co-workers Knowing what to look for and how to help me should I go low..
God Bless,
Brunetta
That point about confidence is a good one. I don't know if you refer to discussions about diabetes or about your life in general, but diabetes is something that we can all be confident about. I find that, in many professional settings, I tend to stay quiet and not disturb things: don't upset the boss, don't reveal that I don't fully understand everything about my assignment, and so on.

But when it comes to diabetes, in most real-life interactions, I feel like the smartest person in the room. I've lived with it and treated it for 30 years, while the others may have a passing interaction with a person with diabetes, read a blurb about it in the paper, or (god forbid!) seen the infomercial for the "Natural Cures" book. When I speak about diabetes, I can hold my head up high and speak confidently and authoritatively, because it is my life. And people respect me for that.

I think everyone here can feel this same confidence in speaking of this disease to others. And when we lose confidence, get confused, or feel misguided, we come here - to TuDiabetes.org. Here, we are confident in our insecurities and in our occasional relapses. We all understand, respect, and relate to one another. We can express our weaknesses, fears, and insecurities here. But in the real world, I am more confident about my knowledge and understanding of diabetes than anything else.

Yet, I still have much to learn.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service