Well due to go and order my pump on the 24th May but after reading some of the forums eg: problems with sites bleeding, sore sites, problems for ladies hiding pumps, problems catching on lines etc. I just dont know if I want one now, think it might just be easier to jab myself and put the thing away.

Confused as hell now...............

Views: 22

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was terribly hesitant to switch to the pump. But the one thing that made me try it was the understanding that if I really hated it, I could always go back to MDIs. Since I started pumping I have never once wanted to go back. Of the things you name the only thing i've ever had happen was catching my line and inadvertently pulling out the cannula. But that's not a huge thing and even that has only happened to me once. If you pull it out -- all you do is reinsert it. I always keep a spare infusion set and cartridge in my purse just in case. Not a big deal and certainly not any more stuff to carry than syringes and vials or insulin pens. As for hiding the pumps -- I find that I'm usually fine on my waistband or attached to my bra under my arm. You don't even notice it's there. I have found the pump affords me a lot more discretion and a lot more control. But remember -- it's not a life sentence. If you hate it, you can go right back to MDIs. I encourage you to try it.
I thought it would be easier/ better to do shots for a long time but, when I got my pump, it seemed to make things a lot easier to control for me. Other than problems for ladies hiding pumps (I don't hide mine and just hang it on my belt...) most of the above have been no big deal issues, I've only yanked it out a couple of times, one of which was a sweat issue (cured with switching to Silhouette sets...) and one of which was a stand up with pump not belayed properly. Which has happened several other times and the Sets have held. Not the best feeling but not a disaster. I have only had mine for 3 years and the sites are still working.

The pros for me were the smoother control, easier to exercise, easier to be flexible and, the thing I don't see mentioned that often but a definite plus for me, is better data collection, as the pump improved my ability to keep track of #s tremendously. Even without the CGM, inputting the data into a log all the time was a big improvement in terms of being able to see what's going on. I'd agree w/ Donna H that you ought to try it and see how it goes. I spent a lot of time during my meeting w/ doc/ SalesNurse trying to decide "2 tacos or 3 tacos" had 3 tacos and was @ 85 two hours later and was like "woah, that was really smooth". It's not magic and there are still challenges but I find it a lot easier to manage them with a pump.
I had a pump 8 years ago and after many infusion site issues (infections, clogging that put me into DKA) I took a "pump vacation" that lasted 7 years. While MDI wasn't as accurate for me, it was in some ways easier. But my control was not as good. I am fairly insulin sensitive and very active and I had a hard time with lows and highs. I am back on the pump now and using the minimed revel. I love it!

First, I have had no infusion set issues. Some mild pain with one site (I put it in too high on my abdomen when I don't have enough fat), but most of my sites are completely painless and don't bleed at all. I change my sites every 3-4 days and always apply neosporin to the old site.

I have not had too many wardrobe issues. I typically buy pants that are a tad loose and wear my pump clipped to my waist but tucked inside my pants, and I put all the tubing down my pants as well. I have a holster to use for dresses, but I don't really like it, so I just stuff my pump down my bra instead. Every now and again something will happen (like the tubing will pop up), but that's rare. It really hasn't bothered me that much. The revel is really small and if you don't put any of the clips on it, it sits fairly flat.

You can always switch back to MDI! That is the great thing about the pump. There have been a few occassions where I wanted to wear something really sexy or do something that wasn't conducive to my pump, so I just unhooked for a couple of days, broke out some lantus, and was good to go. But my control is much better on the pump. My A1C dropped significantly and I generally feel better.

I'd say go for it - you can always switch back or change back and forth between MDI and the pump to suit whatever you're doing at that time.
I got a pump last summer and ended up going back to MDI after 8 months. My control actually got worse because of the all the site problems. I also had 2 pumps die that needed replaced. After the 2nd one died, I decided pumping wasn’t worth it.

That being said, if you don’t try, you won’t know. Like Donna & MyBustedPancreas said, you can always go back to MDI if you don’t like it. Pump companies generally give you 30 days to return the pump if you don’t like it. I loved the pump in my first 30 days so ended up keeping it. If you don’t try, you won’t know and you will always wonder, “should I have done that.”
Hey Natalie,

It might do to remember that most of the posts on here about any problems like bad sites ect. are being posted because people are looking for advice since these events are something out of the ordinary.

I only started pumping 10 days ago, but already I am in love with my pump. Even though we are stilling dialing in my basal rates, already I can see improvements in my BG's. I never had a problem with injections, so pumping was never about convenience for me but surprisingly pumping is so much less tedious than MDI than I ever thought it could be. I think it is a bit of a self preservation mechanism for our minds to tell us that injections are easy whilst we have no choice, so as that we don't become to overwhelmed by them. Once you have an alternative you finally allow yourself to think, oh hey, having to jab yourself X times a day really was annoying.

Here is a video posted by Bill from 1Happy Diabetic about his opinion on pumping in response to a previous video of his about a bad infusion site.

http://youtu.be/I0T95Kvzrsk

-p.s.- high five for aussie diabetics ;-)
Thanks for the advice guys, yeah will give it a go, as you all said at least I can go back to shots if I dont like it.

Also thanks for the link Pilcrow, took a look and at several of his videos, he is a funny boy !!
If I could add just one thing--in addition to what Pilcrow said about people posting problems more often than "my sites are not a problem." My personal observation is that many, though not all, of the people with site problems are quite thin and/or tend to have other allergies (if allergy to tape is the problem). So read the posts carefully for clues before assuming the problem could happen to anyone!

I do think that many of us have to find the correct tape for our skin type and activity level. I suggest that you sample all the infusion sets your company offers and also try out various brands of tape if you need to use any extra to hold the insertion in place. You will find that out as you go. Ask your pump rep or CDE for samples of all of these. If not that person, then call the pump company (haven't checked which one you are getting). They will send free samples. Not sure if they send tapes though.
A pump is not a tinker toy, as if you didn't know! It is a serious piece of technology that takes time and effort to get comfortable with it. Good luck and be patient over the next 6 months!
Hi Natalie: I have been pumping for 13 of my 16 Type 1 years. I would never go back to injections. I love my pump, and named him "Mr. Pumpy." Original I know. But seriously, pumping allows much better control and more freedom. Yes, it is a mechanical device, so sometimes failure occurs. But the pump is so worth it. Like many others, I often post here when I have a problem and I am seeking assistance. I say go for it. You need to do lots of testing, and there is a learning curve as you work to get your basal rates right (best book is "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh), but it is so worth it. Good luck!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

The Newest Member of the DHF Team

Hi there! My name is Desiree Johnson and I’m the new addition to the DHF family! There is so much I want to share about my first few days at the office, but I’ll keep it short. The DHF team Read on! →

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service