BRUSSELS. April 17, 2012

Over 120 world leaders from the UN, governments, private sector and NGOs have released a blueprint for action around the diabetes epidemic. The International Diabetes Federation (IDF) estimates that unless rapid action is taken, one person in ten will have diabetes by 2030*.

The Dubai Blueprint, a product of IDF’s World Diabetes Congress in Dubai, is the first concrete step taken collectively by the private sector to tackle diabetes since the UN Summit on Non-communicable Diseases (NCDs) last September.

It contains a Declaration based around the unique contributions the private sector can make in the following areas:

Production: Produce and promote healthy foods, including taking action to reformulate products, follow labelling standards and reduce salt in the food industry;

Responsible marketing: Implement WHO recommendations to reduce marketing of unhealthy foods and non-alcoholic beverages to children;

Employment: Promote workplace wellness, including establishing tobacco-free workplaces, healthy working environments, and health insurance plans;

Innovation: Improve access and affordability for medicines and technologies.

“Only by combining public, private and people can we deliver the necessary actions to combat the diabetes epidemic” said Jean Claude Mbanya, President of IDF, “the Blueprint will be a practical tool for future action on diabetes in all sectors and will inspire the current dialogue on multi-sectoral partnerships”.

IDF is hoping that the Blueprint will also directly influence ongoing WHO consultations on NCDs and lead to the creation of a Global NCD Partnership housed with a UN agency.

The International Diabetes Federation (IDF) is an umbrella organization of over 200 national diabetes associations in over 160 countries. It represents the interests of the growing number of people with diabetes and those at risk. The Federation has been leading the global diabetes community since 1950.

Tags: Dubai Blueprint, IDF, World Diabetes Congress, diabetes, international

Views: 231

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hard to see that anything mentioned above will help. Our Govt are still preaching low fat high carb diets and that could be the problem,

I don't know why any of this crap is published. Its very simple, support the most promising research and fast track it as fast as possible so patients can benefit. It's pretty obvious that insulin therapy is nothing more then life support. It will never consistently regulate glucose levels and patients will have to battle highs and lows for their entire lives. They haven't got a clue to how depressing living with diabetes is. I'll say it over and over I'd rather have treatable cancer any day of the week.

I disagree with only supporting research. I think that improving current management strategies offers a very effective use of $$$ too...

^ Are you serious? What the hell more can people do to manage this condition any better? People seem to be trying all different strategies (low carb, testing ten times a day, pumps..etc.) and still every other topic is.. "I had a severe low last night" or "my sugar has been high for days"... What other then a biological treatment is gonna stop that crap from happening? In my mind nothing and just between you and me take out the fact that I feel horrible often there will be a point where (if I am still alive) without some kind of aid I will not be able to afford to keep living with this.

Until there's a cure, I think that from a societal, health care perspective we will all share lower costs in the long run if we investm in communication strategies and management tactics using existing tools. I do ok with it. Yes, I have ups and downs too but I don't beat myself up about it. A lot of doctors communicate "look at these bad numbers [circled on log...]" but, in my experience, numbers will cascade several numbers down the line. I don't think 10 tests/ day is quite enough but I would prefer that to be the standard to 4 tests or 7 tests that we hear about from other members. Frankly, I would like to see an attack on the "gray market", put them out of business and free us to test when we need to in order to make progress and conduct experiments effectively. I understand that your situation seems uncontrollable because you aren't supported with enough test strips, like cereal, are using NPH and all that, not that any of those items are problems but some people show up, try stuff that people suggest and find that it works? If it doesn't work, well, keep trying? Even when I wasn't paying close attention to diabetes, it was still a lot of work, it took a little bit more organization and lobbying BCBS to get supplies, getting some fancy new gizmos, etc. and the numbers have fallen in line for me. Except when they don't.

I suspect that both you and I and many of the other members here may be outliers in our approach, even though our (A1C) results aren't all that different? If you click various regions on the TuAnalyze map, a small sample size perhaps, it appears that the average, despite all of the witty banter, is in the high 6s/ low 7s depending on the region, well above "normal" BG that more aggressive advocates suggest. I don't see that organizing the strategies people use to achieve better results should be secret or cult, it should be available to everyone AND, most importantly, doctors should recognize our utility as "test pilots" when we've figured it out? "Let's do a study" "uh dr. dude, why don't you hang around Tu for a couple of weeks"?

Understand the control is one thing but my sensitivity is another. I don't feel well say at 103 because I woke up the other morning with that sugar and was irritable and anxious for a short while until my level came down a little. I don't think its very realistic to fix my problem without a biological treatment. Karen on here has the same problem as we both seem to be walking around feeling kind of horrible unless our levels stay within our comfortable zone. I get a lot of psychotic symptoms from both highs and lows which puts me obviously in a very distressed anxious state of mind. I kind of feel its like being on a drug with horrific side effects but in this case there is no getting off the drug. IMO the most feasible breakthrough other then a cure or treatment would be a super accurate non invasive meter. For the obvious reasons of no endless supply costs and no pain. I can't see how the Insurance companies wouldn't love to see that happen as well. They are the ones paying for most peoples sticks. Still one of these research companies has to get through the red tape before its too late for me. This is just nothing but torture.

You *are* on a drug! I've said before, maybe not in our conversations, that I would consider insulin to be a "hard" drug like heroin or cocaine, in that it can kill you pretty readily, unlike pot. You and Karen are the only two people I've encountered who report feeling off as much as you guys do? I used to feel whacked out when I was on NPH (through April 2008...) and felt better almost immediately when I switched. Some of it may also have been learning about counting, as opposed to guessing carbs but it made a big step in how I felt and I think quite a few other people too? To me, part of the thing is that it's worth it to try to feel good. I've felt bad and still do pretty regularly but I sort of deny it and lose myself in one of my hobbies.

Re torture, I've read up on it a bit. SAVAK roasted people alive over gas burners in pre-Revolutionary Iran. The NKVD/ KGB tortured people regularly and survivors reported that beatings, electrocutions, rapes, burnings, etc. weren't the worst. Sleep deprivation broke them [it made me cringe a bit to recall that when it was part of the US government's "torture marketing" campaign...]. Diabetes sucks but there are worse things.

Yeah, I am not buying into the fact that its the NPH is causing me to not feel well. You could almost have a case if that were the only insulin I was using. I know Karen is on a pump so why doesn't she feel well? Last night I was dozing off around 11 o'clock and felt rather fine other then somewhat tired. This was 2hrs post my last injection and snack.. cereal. I checked my level before I went to sleep and was nudging right over 200. I took a few units correction and ended up feeling grouchy as hell as the sugar was coming down. I also know for a fact that I experience far too many lows which are quite disturbing as well. Just easier to fix and I spend much less time feeling horrible. I'd bet almost any diabetic if you could restart their pancreas they wouldn't believe how much better they felt even if they don't think they feel bad to begin with. I am super in tune with my body and on occasion I feel rather fantastic and honestly it feels better then an orgasim. As a kid I never really remember feeling this consistently bad. Even though my control overall is probably far better these days I simply can't tolerate it at all. I admit I don't really manage this thing full force. I skimp on testing and don't always eat the best choice of foods but I am human.. I think?

NPH is impossible to "aim" precisely, since the peaks move around. I haven't figured Karen out but I don't see her enough to even guess. I don't think you are "super in tune" with your body given all the "suprises" report? I think that it's great that a lot of the time you can guess what your number is but you regularly report numbers that "come out of nowhere" or whatever.

America/Canada has a 90% failure rate in meeting standards of good control. In less developed countries, compliance is even worse. Mexico is estimate at 99% failure. Such numbers speaks of need.

Those "severe" hypos at least have a hope of resolution by being presented here in this safe community. I can attest that our official care systems wil only make them worse. I was 911'd nine times under my doctors' care, and now I rarely have troubles thanks to help from others here.

There is much we can and should do, and it does not ned to involve medications and medical programs. Simply re-establishing our natural relationships with food will "cure" most diseases. The real issue is sorting out the real science. American and world industry, the 4 major food suppliers of the planet, do not want these necesary changes. They make too much money on value-added grain and sugar based foods and on the inevitable medical needs they'll generate.

I call for a food revolution.

I've been suspicious of the "food pyramid" timeline for a while now, given that it seems to stem from the post-WWII (Ike?) era when, coincidentally, the modern Republican party, generally with a science-adverse weltanschauung, big agricultural subsidies and the shift to carb heaviness in our national diet in the US...

What bothers me about this is the skewed perspective with regard to type 2 diabetes, and even implying that type 2 diabetes is completely a "lifestyle" condition.  As someone who lives with type 1, here is how I would prefer to see these areas defined:

Production: Improve labeling standards throughout the world so that everyone knows how many carbohydrates are in what they are consuming.  To every extent possible, encourage/require that restaurants also post basic information on foods served (carb content, calories, etc).

• Employment: Provide health insurance and ensure that people with diabetes are not discriminated against because they have a medical condition. Provide people with diabetes the necessary/reasonable accommodations they need to manage their condition.

Innovation: Improve access and affordability for medicines and technologies. (This one is ok as it is....I think the BIGGEST issue worldwide and perhaps even within the U.S. is that so many people living with diabetes cannot access the basics to manage their condition. Innovation is great, and maybe the artificial pancreas project will offer something close to a CURE.  However, I have a hard time with the financial support of this project when so many people can't access the technologies we have available NOW.  Every person with diabetes should have access to the basics needed to manage their condition.)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service