So my angst and anger and annoyance aside, (that's a lot of 'a' words), I have a boyfriend, and he loves me immensely. He knew at the beginning of our relationship that I was a type one diabetic; our relationship actually started because I was diagnosed with it. But lately my moods have been horrid, I don't want to check or deal with the type one, etc. He tries to get me to check or take my insulin and I just get mad at him. He keeps eating chocolate or three or four servings a sitting of mashed potatoes or whatever else of high carbs. He doesn't seem to understand how much this bothers me. He also eats most of my serving, which bothers me too. But as much as I try to tell him how it makes me feel, it doesn't help him understand and he just gets defensive. He drinks soda late at night. I feel like we are always at eachother. He doesn't believe me when I say mood swings can be caused by diabetes; he thinks I can just do some deep breathing and it will go away. Since the type one onset, I have been diagnosed with a rare form of eczema, bipolar, depression, anxiety, eating disorders, anger (my shrink wanted to admit me to a mental hospital for evaluation). I was also just told I have a thyroid issue which affects my calming down after getting mad near impossible to do. I had just ended an abusive relationship after the diagnosis. I am a full time college student (made the dean's list the last three semesters). Just some background. But what has made me write this is that I was just telling him about the artificial pancreas system, and he said it had been out for years. I told him it is still going through its trial phase and he wouldn't believe me even after I showed him proof. I feel like he thinks I'm incompetent. Out of the two of us, I figure I would know if there were new developments because I have the disease. It has consumed me mentally. I get emails hourly about type one/diabetes. I constantly worry about my levels even though I dont check. Plus the eczema has made it difficult enough to check my fingers.

I'm at a loss about what to do or how to get through to him. I hate the fighting but I can't get a grip, which like I said, he doesn't believe.

Tags: college, diabetes, help, one, student, type

Views: 603

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am learning more and more that I am the one who truly has to deal with this. I get so excited when my levels are okay and then so utterly depressed when they aren't. I was just put on gabapentin and clonizapam (don't remember the spelling on either) but I don't know. I'm still anxious and moody and worried. I checked my dog's blood level the other night cause I'm starting to get obsessed.

Yeah - if everything in my life is going smoothly one day, I can take some funky numbers in stride. If the stuff's hitting the fan at work, etc. and I get a bad number, it's tough to keep things in perspective at times.

At the very least it's nice to be able to get on here and have a chance to talk to some people who understand what it feels like!

Haha it wasn't for me, it was for him.. I do a lot of the cooking as well, buy he never seems to eat it. He likes the fast food, or microwave dinners as opposed to the lentils and pasta that I like.. But thanks for the input.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service