Help & advise with the Ping - Dexcom combo VS. MiniMeds integrated system.

Hi, I'm a newbie to the site and I'm hoping to get some thoughts and advise on choosing my next pump and my 1st CGM system. I'll be living with this decision for the next couple of years so I want to make as well an informed one as I can.

I was diagnosed W/T1 7 years ago and have been on a pump for most of the time (Deltec Cozmo) I need to upgrade my pump and I'd like to jump into the world of CGM......My BS #'s need to be brought under control! A1C is over 8.5 (not good) So here is what I know from my research...... Please tell me your thoughts from a real life, I use it stand point.

I'm athletic so waterproof, sweat and workout compatibly is important. Ease of use, dependability & accuracy are key.

Ping/Dexcom: Ping is waterproof... don't know if the transmitter for the Dexcom is.
not an integrated system more stuff to keep track of. (Heard it might be integrated soon. What's soon 6 months /years :-)
The dexcom transmitter seems smaller and easier to live with.
I've heard conflicting stories about it working W/ windows 7, doesn't work with Mac unless very computer literate, which I'm not... BUMMER.

MiniMed: Pump not waterproof..... I have heard that the transmitter is w/the help of some kind of tape. Can this tape be bought at a local drug store? 
Is integrated, less stuff to carry.
Transmitter needs to be taped down everyday. Sounds itchy....... it is bigger.
Same issues W/ software as above.

Sorry, I do get wordy....... I talk a lot too, so people tell me  :-)  thanks for your help with this.

Views: 68

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use the MM transmitter. I use it for 6 days ( MM only guarantees three). I use a Tegaderm dressing and place it once for the whole six days. It lasts for me. It is not itchy for me. Some people don't have great results from the MM but for ME it is VErY accurate. I think it works both ways with each product. The software is online based and for me is very user friendly. But it only works currently with Windows XP and not yet with Windows 7. I love the convince of only having one device to carry around.
i use MM 522 with Dexcom... i hate the MM intergrated system the needle is so thick i couldn't get it threw my skin... so Dexcom all the way! but as far as pumps go i love my MM
how do you get the sensor in? its such a thick needle i can get it in about half way! id love to try mine tho..
I have had an issue with only one sensors so far no going in all of the way and it was near, but not through, a stretch mark. I basically pinch up as I insert, especially on the thighs as this make sure it stays in fat tissue.
i just got the sensor in for once i had to reallyyyy pinch my skin up but it worked we will see how good tho because it was alittle bloody..
Hi. My niece currently uses Minimed Revel pump and Dexcom (part-time). Initially, her Mom choose Minimed cgms with her Paradigm pump because they were integrated. She found that, even though we used EMLA, a numbing cream, to insert, my niece was sometimes sore and twice so uncomfortable the sensors had to be pulled. She was only using the arm for insertion so perhaps it was the site which was a problem..... a lot of nerves in the arm. MM cgms was less forgiving in times of when to calibrate and we found restarting after three days to be a PITA. Waited almost a year for MM to bring out their "comfort sensor", got tired of waiting, and switched to Dexcom. Love love love the Dexcom. Easy to insert and no pain to insert even without EMLA, easy to calibrate and more forgiving if you are calibrating at a less optimal time, smaller footprint on the body, do not have to wear tape over it to hold it down, flush to the skin, not wobbly like the MM seashell transmitter, do not have to Restart until a full seven days and when you Restart, you leave the transmitter right on the body. Note that Dex does not want you to Restart but change the sensor out; however we usually get anywhere from 9 to 18 days on one sensor. But it turns out she hates having to carry around an extra device so when Animas integrates with Dex, we will switch to the Animas pump (she has used Animas before), UNLESS....... Minimed really does come out with a truely comfortable to insert and comfortable to wear without tape sensor. Animas said they will be integrated before next spring and the comfortable sensor, I'm hoping, will be out around then. Love the Minimed pump and want to make the best decision possible.
i don't have to take the transmitter off of my body when restarting. Restarting is a breeze on the MM.
If you need to restart on the Minimed, you need to restart on Day 3, in which case you can leave the transmitter on your body. But if you want to Restart after Day 6, you must ease the transmitter off your body very carefully, recharge, then put back on your body. With Dex, it's one Restart after Day 7 and, theoretically, you can Restart yet again (and we have), still leaving Dex on the body. We usually want to remove it around Day 10 or 14 but have gone up to Day 18 when we have a good sensor.
Thanks for all of your input! It's great to hear about hands on experience. All of you have helped.

Thanks Johng for the #'s, I do hear that if you spend the initial time learning the MM system it does work and it sure looks to be spot on.

The Sensor does look bigger than Dexcom's but if it's waterproof all the better, I haven't heard from anybody if the Dex sensor is waterproof.

I am on the wimpy side, so to hear that Dex is less painful does sound good.

I know I'm going to end up looking like a computer store. My main computer is a Mac, we just bought a laptop to run my old pump on right before I found out I was changing and it has W7 on it .... Now it looks like I'll need to buy windows XP.....
Dex sensor is waterproof, but the Dex Receiver is most definitely NOT waterproof. And, Dexcom will not replace the Receiver if you accidentally drop it in water. Once Dex communicates with Animas, you will see the readings on the Animas pump itself and Animas is the most waterproof of all the pumps. Animas will replace their pump if you wear it in water and the pump malfunctions. At the moment the Minimed pump is far more waterproof than the Dexcom Receiver. We keep her Receiver in a baggie so she does not accidentally spill her drink on it. It's that unforgiving.
Hello from a another talks a lot person. At least on the net anyway.

I currently used the Animas Ping and separate Dexcom. I have in the past used Minimed's pump and CGMS. I was successful with the minimed CGMS but I developed skin issues from the adhesives. I much prefer Dex CGMS to Minimed's. The Dex is more secure, easier to operate, and for me is much more accurate and picks up the full range of my blood sugars better. Dex Seven Plus has a documented lag time of 5 minutes compared to Minimed's 15 to 20 and that makes a difference also. When I wore the two systems side by side as a comparison the Dex was consistently faster at documenting changes in trends by 15 to 20 minutes for me. Until I saw that I wouldn't have believed it. Dex sensor is waterproof as long as the transmitter is securely attached. The receiver is not.

Soon could be forever as far as integration goes what with the FDA. I made my decision based on what's currently available. I surprisingly enough prefer the CGMS non integrated as far as wearing it goes. CGMS is only helpful if you look at the data and every time I pulled my Minimed out I had to resecure the tubing. Also a little problematic to do if you wear your pump in your bra like I sometimes do. By having the CGMS separate and with the Ping I hardly ever have to touch my pump which works really well for me. I love the remote aspect of the Ping. I can keep the Dex monitor on my nightstand, on my desk, in my purse, or in my pocket. More options for wearing if it isn't integrated and easier to hear the alarms.

I've had absolutely zero problems running EZ ManagerMax (Animas software) and Dex software on my MAC. I run EZ Manager on the MAC side and I have been using VMWare Fusion and Windows XP professional for the Dex software. I had a terrible getting Minimed's Carelink to work which is one major reason I switched. I've read on the net that some people have been successful with Windows 7 with EZ Manager Max or Dex software but others have not been able to get it to work.

Good luck with your decision. Both have their pros and cons and overall good pumps/CGMS. I would suggest you meet with both reps and get your hands on the pump also. The Animas screen is much easier for me to see and the alarms are louder compared to Minimed.

Diana
Thank you Diana! It is good to know I'm not the only wordy person on the net...... Your info really hit the spot for
me.

I figured I'd end up partitioning my Mac for what ever pump & CGM I choose.

I have 2 appt. this week one with the reps and one with the Doc to get the RX, hopefully I'll get things rolling soon.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service