Help & advise with the Ping - Dexcom combo VS. MiniMeds integrated system.

Hi, I'm a newbie to the site and I'm hoping to get some thoughts and advise on choosing my next pump and my 1st CGM system. I'll be living with this decision for the next couple of years so I want to make as well an informed one as I can.

I was diagnosed W/T1 7 years ago and have been on a pump for most of the time (Deltec Cozmo) I need to upgrade my pump and I'd like to jump into the world of CGM......My BS #'s need to be brought under control! A1C is over 8.5 (not good) So here is what I know from my research...... Please tell me your thoughts from a real life, I use it stand point.

I'm athletic so waterproof, sweat and workout compatibly is important. Ease of use, dependability & accuracy are key.

Ping/Dexcom: Ping is waterproof... don't know if the transmitter for the Dexcom is.
not an integrated system more stuff to keep track of. (Heard it might be integrated soon. What's soon 6 months /years :-)
The dexcom transmitter seems smaller and easier to live with.
I've heard conflicting stories about it working W/ windows 7, doesn't work with Mac unless very computer literate, which I'm not... BUMMER.

MiniMed: Pump not waterproof..... I have heard that the transmitter is w/the help of some kind of tape. Can this tape be bought at a local drug store? 
Is integrated, less stuff to carry.
Transmitter needs to be taped down everyday. Sounds itchy....... it is bigger.
Same issues W/ software as above.

Sorry, I do get wordy....... I talk a lot too, so people tell me  :-)  thanks for your help with this.

Views: 74

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The other thing you may want to consider is if you use alot of Tylenol, the Dex may not work well for you. Tylenol messes with the readings on the Dex. This was the main contributor to my decision about not looking at the Dex as i take tylenol frequently due to an allev allergy.
I have the Animas Ping & the Dexcom. One of the big reasons for my wanting the Ping was because it is waterproof - that was something that was important to me. Some people don’t like the fact that the cartridge because it only holds 200 units & Minimed holds 300. One thing that I did not consider before getting the pump was that you are able to use other companies infusion sets.

The Dexcom transmitter is waterproof. I use Opsite Flexifix tape around the edges of their adhesive to help it stick better. Since you are athletic & sweating, you will probably want to reinforce it with some tape also. I bought my Flexifix at a local medical supply place but am going to order my next roll from American Diabetes Warehouse because it is cheaper, even with shipping added.

Like Jennifer mentioned, if you use Tylenol, it will make the Dex go haywire. I wasn’t too happy about giving up Tylenol, but decided the benefits exceeded having to give up Tylenol.
Thanks for the info Kelly, I didn't even think of the effects other meds would have. I am an advil gal or sometimes Bayer extra strength. I should be fine, right?

Has the Ping lived up to it's claim of being waterproof? I swim for an hour at a time, I can do this without any tape covering the transmitter, just some reinforcment tape over the edges?

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service