I've had uncontrolled type 1 diabetes for a long time now. Recently, I've decided to buckle down and really work on getting my bloodsugars under control. My goal is to bring my 11.something A1c down to at least a 9 by Xmas. The insulin I am on now is Lantus and Apidra flexpen injections for the last 2 or 3 years, and have been diabetic for 12 years. I have not had consistent bloodsugars for years now (my own neglect) and now that I am actually DOING my insulin injections and getting good bloodsugar readings consistently, I'm noticing strange side effects that make me wonder if it's the insulin or something causing them. Whenever my bloodsugar stays within a normal range (70-130) for a day or two, I get sinus allergy-like symptoms. My sinuses become completely stuffed up, my eyes get swollen and itch, my face, hands, feet, and basically my entire body gets swollen and puffy, and my ears itch. I walk around feeling like a suffed sausage in my own skin! I don't have any allergies to things like pollen, dust, or pet dander, and I do not recall ever having this problem before. Furthermore, all of these symptoms are exacerbated when I wake up in the morning, or when I wake up from a nap. But here's the thing- as soon as my bloodsugars become high again, or when I skip a couple of insulin injections, all these symptoms go away. What's going on?! Could I have an allergy to my insulin? Does anyone have any insight on this? Has anyone even heard of something like this happening? I could really use some advice, as my doctor has thus far been unhelpful, and I don't have another apt. till mid November. I feel discouraged, upset, and pretty annoyed!

Views: 4289

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You know, it is ok to work towards your goal. Going from an A1c of 11 to keeping your blood sugar 70-130 is a "huge" change. It would be ok to run a little higher until you got this whole swelling under control. I'm not saying to run your blood sugars up to 300, but if your swelling goes away with your blood sugars 140-200, then perhaps you can do this in steps.

And I would not take a diuretic without consulting a doctor.
I was wondering about that. It's on my list of things to talk to my doctor about! I feel the best when I'm at 70-130, but at the same time I think I would feel better without the symptoms I'm getting!
I am amazed people can walk around with chronic high glucose levels and not feel out of their skull. I am not kidding when I say I start becoming edgy post 100 mgdl for a premeal. My body mind and soul only likes the 80 to 95 range and 115 max post meal. Allergic to a life support drug has got to be pretty scary s***. Donnate whatever you can to Dr Faustman to help possibly end this nightmare!
I'm sure when I first started neglecting my diabetes I felt the same way, too, however the body tends to get used to feeling like s*** when it's felt that way for so long!
When my son was first dx he was put on Lantus and humalog. when we got home the insurance put hi on Novolog. He began to itch terribly all over- it was horrific, and get headaches and nausea. We switched him back to Humalog and he has been fine since. Some people do have allergies to certain insulin (or the preservative they use) but it is rare.
Adding my experience to what bsc & Lynne mentioned. After leaving the hospital from DKA, I was swollen--legs & face. The better my BG was, the more swelling there was. The itching was from swollen skin. Not terribly motivating to get BG under control looking like & feeling like that:) Know what you mean about feeling like a stuffed sausage!

Not unusual to be puffier in the morning simply from being horizontal.

Since DKA had done a number on electrolytes & it took a while to raise my potassium levels, I wasn't given a diruetic. Basically, I was told to drink lots of water, avoid salt & to tough it out while continuing to bring BG down. I ate foods that were natural direutics. After about 10-14 days, the swelling was gone. Hope you get relief soon!
As far as the swelling goes, I'm still a freaking balloon! However, now that I know that I know a little more about these issues and know what I need to talk to my doctor about, my mind is much more at ease. I don't feel like I'm on the verge of a panic attack! I was beginning to think I was cursed for being such a crappy diabetic for so long! I truly do feel better with my counts lower. My quality of life has just been so low because of not caring for myself, and now that my counts are better, it's really hitting me how much better I feel.... minus the balloon-y ness!
Thanks everyone so much for all your advice with this!

As of today (Day 5 of Adventures in Tight Control) I'm still a balloon. I fell off the bandwagon and didn't do insulin for one of those days. The swelling started to go down, just as I thought it would, which means I guess I'm at square 1. Since it's Saturday, I've been compiling a list of questions and concerns that I need to ask. I'm actually going to print out everyone's comments and show her, and see what she thinks.

Steps I'm taking now are: Switching from Apidra to Humalog, keeping my counts in the 150-190 range, elevating my feet at night, drinking plenty of fluids, and keeping a low sodium diet.

I've discussed this problem I'm having with my boss at work, and am looking into getting a short medical leave of absence. Since my job involves being on my feet quite a bit and running around, I think it would be better if I gave my body a fair chance to recover.

Monday I'll be calling my doc again!

I'm in a very similiar situation. I've been uncontrolled (though always under the care of an Endo) for more than 15 years. I'm hoping to get my 9.3 something hemoglobin to 8,8 by January and hopefully to under 7 by the summer. I know that we can do it!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes and Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service