UPDATE: Part of my terror about this insulin coverage change was the fact that I wasn't sure if I would be eligible for unemployment insurance. I applied for unemployment and they asked me to fill out a seven-page form asking all kinds of questions in order to determine if I was eligible. I've been waiting, waiting, waiting on pins and needles to see if I would have any income, or be forced to start eating through my retirement savings (and paying a huge penalty for too-early withdrawal.) Well HALLELUIA, I just looked at my bank account and the state has started depositing unemployment insurance money into my account. This is a HUGE relief and will help me buy time on the insulin until I find another job and, hopefully, get better insurance coverage of medications.

I still hate Group Health, though, for what they are doing to diabetics. People shouldn't have to choose between insulin and a roof over their heads. Our whole medical system in the U.S. becomes more vicious and insanely cruel to sick people every day.

Hi folks. I haven't been around here in quite a while (long story.)

Today I had heart-shattering news: my insulin, which used to cost me a co-pay of $30-ish dollars has been kicked up to over $300 dollars. This is TEN TIMES more expensive than it used to be. I swear they've declared war on diabetics at Group Health Cooperative -- they want us to die so they don't have to cover us anymore (yes, I know I sound hysterical -- because I am hysterical.)

The only insulin left in their generic formulary are Novalin NPH and Novalin R. I've never taken either insulin. I have no idea how to dose them, how they're different, what to expect, how to switch over.

No one gave me any advance notice. I have 1-1/2 pens left of Novolog and 2 pens left of Lantus...and then that's it. I found all this out just this morning, when I went to refill my prescriptions. It was like being hit in the head with a rock when they quoted the price.

I have no idea what to do. My doctors have been utterly useless. I learned everything I know about managing insulin from talking to people like you on-line (you are all my angels) and from reading books like "How to Think Like a Pancreas". But I've been using Lantus and Novolog, so all my knowledge about how, when, how much, why...I feel like it's all been NUKED and I'm freaking out. I can't afford a ten-fold increase in the cost of my insulin. I'm unemployed right now and kind of hanging on by my fingernails.

I want to just stop injecting insulin, put a protest sign around my neck, and sit outside GHC's corporate offices until I go into DKA. If anyone has a better idea (!!!) I'd love to hear it.

Thanks and sorry for being so upset. I'm just freaking out.

Tags: Lantus, Novolog, cost, coverage, insurance

Views: 2484

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jean, it is good to hear from you. I'm sorry to hear this. Have you really found that your coverage has changed or are you caught paying up your deductible? Most insurance plans like GHC have a tiering. While you might get the best co-pay on generics, generally you still get coverage on branded drugs. Are you really sure you don't have any coverage? I understand your frustration and would really like to help you through this.

I agree with bsc, I'd really double check just to make sure this isnt' some kind of deductible that you have to meet. A lot of insurances have deductibles that start over at the first of the year, and once the deductible is met, then they cover at whatever percentage they are contracted to cover at. At that point then you'd pay at whatever teir lantus and Novalog are set at. Before panicing call your insurance company and ask them to explain what is going on. A deductible sucks, but better a deductible then everytime u have to get it filled.

Hi there and thanks bsc. No, it's not a deductible situation. I spent two hours on the phone with the pharmacy and with customer service. They used to have Novolog and Lantus in their basic formulary. Now they've moved both into a different tier and the cost for me has gone from a $15 co-pay for each up to 40% of each -- for me, at my high doses, that means what used to cost $30 will now cost over $300 - a permanent 10-fold increase.

Hi Jean. Good to have you posting again; so sorry about the insulin cost. Perhaps if your doctor wrote the insurance people that your health required Lantus and Novolog they would make an exception. Letters from doctors can work wonders.

As for amounts. It will take some experimentation, but firstly, I'd start with the same total amounts as you are now taking. The Regular needs to be taken awhile before eating, and since it doesn't handle spikes well (in my experience), low carbs are best. As for the NPH, I find it works best with three shots. It will have some peaks, so timing the nightly shot to take care of the dawn phenomenon is good; pay attention to when the other two peaks will occur so you can a meal or snack at the time. Best luck and again, welcome back.

Thanks for your kind reply, Trudy. Three shots? Just thinking of it make me physically ill. I'm terrible at keeping track of time and counting and measuring things -- and of course, that's what being a diabetic is ALL about: keeping track of time and counting and measuring things. I can't bear it. They won't let me pump. They won't let me have CGM. Now they won't let me have the insulin I've been using for years. I'm drowning here. What are they going to do to me next? I've been doing so well -- eating better than I have in a long time, working my butt off to get my basal and correction factor and boluses all figured out. Now I get this two-by-four to the head? That's my reward? Jesus wept.

Hi again Jean, you could try two shots with the NPH. When I first went on insulin, only R and NPH were available, and remembering the timing was really hard. I finally got a watch with three alarms on it, which worked reasonably well. I'm not going to say that R and NPH are as good as Novolog and Lantus -- they're not -- but they'll keep you going until you find a way for the insurance company to give you an exception. I have to take my Levemir three times a day now (I'm on MDI most of the time), and I've finally just learned the times -- first thing in the morning, last thing at night and 2:30 PM. When I forget, I get a problem which serves to remind me the next day! We have to just keep learning and working. What you've already learned re your basal and correction factor and boluses will all serve to help you make any transitions necessary; unfortunately everything always keeps changing anyway, as you undoubtedly already know. My best wishes, and yes! you can do it.

If you could get a pump, even a used one, it would be better.
NPH is very old style, erratic action.
With a pump you would use regular and have a good basal rate, half work done.
Really can't you get any sort of pump, used or low cost (Dana Soil, Cozmo ....) ?

As for regular, it is way slower than novolog.
If you dilute it should get a little faster, in a pump would be more confortable.

I'm looking here fo example (link)

Or read here link

Have you looked into apedria and humalog, or levimier? They might still be covered.

Hi Matthew -- no, the only two that are left in their basic formulary (where I would only have to pay a $15 co-pay) are Novalin R and Novalin NPH. That's it.

Read my messages to Marie today. I had 7 medications to fill all had regills my insurance refused all I must have a Generic. I tried to tell them some of my medications do not have Generics. Use something similar they say. I,too,use Lantus and Novolog...I am going to fight again tomorrow. If something is working and keeping you well why make a change.Never ever had this problem until the town where I was Principal ignored the 4 unions and put all employees and retirees in the state plan. As I live out of state now I was put in UNICARE as of 1/1/12 and my troubles began. I hope you can work something out. At the golden (but tarnished) age of 84 I do not need this. Good Luck. Reed

I'm so sorry, Seagator. I sometimes think that their strategy is just to kill us off so they don't have to cover us anymore. I hate to say that, but that's how I feel right now -- like I'm in the cross-hairs of a heartless, cruel sniper who is just getting ready to pull the trigger and finish me off.

First of all, if your doctor says you must have your insulin, they usually can get an authorization for that.
Perhaps that is that much higher copay.......
Also you can often participate in a program from the insulin company for people with no coverage. They used to call it their compassionate use program.
I cant imagine an insurance company not covering Humalog or Novolog. Most of us are using at least one of those two nowadays. They should be on the middel tier, since they are not necessarily generic. They should not be on the highest tier, unless your insurance only has two tiers.

You need to make some calls, do some footwork and have a doctor or CDE assist you.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States

An infographic explaining the most recent CDC diabetes figures, released in June 2014.

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service