This article summarizing recent research published in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease says seniors who limit carb consumption have a lower risk of developing dementia.

Quoting the article "A Mayo Clinic study says that elderly people have a lower risk of cognitive impairment if they consume a diet high in fat and protein as opposed to a diet with lots of carbs and sugar. Glucose levels might play a role in the development of beta amyloid plaques, proteins toxic to brain health found in the brains of people with Alzheimer's."

Also from the article "Those whose diets were highest in fat (nuts, healthy oils) were 42% less likely to get cognitive impairment, while those who had the highest intake of protein (chicken, meat, fish) had a reduced risk of 21%."

There has been speculation that insulin resistance, which is a hallmark of T2, can also have an effect on the brains metabolism, perhaps influencing the development of dementia.

Should this study influence recommendations for diet in T2's? Will this cause you to rethink your own carb consumption?

Tags: Alzheimer's, High, carb, dementia, diet, fat, low

Views: 312

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sadly, one of our Type 2 Friends was recently dxd. with Dementia. :(
He's only 55 for heavens sakes. We saw it creeping up on him. He
lives by himself, so I guess we know what that means.

I know several type 2's with Dementia/Alzheimer , who are not living at home anymore :( ...saw today on TV : exercise may prevent onset ...I don't have a link , however I will support the idea

located this : http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/251880.php

and this http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/26/exercise-may-protect-again...
Off for my eve walk next

There's a cool book about "The Nun Study" called "Aging with Grace" that talks about a community of nuns who made their paperwork and their brains available to science. The book presents a lot of case studies but does seem to conclude that there were ongoing patterns that were discernable pretty early and also that having activities, like going for walks, etc. seemed to allow some sisters whose brains later showed symptoms of "damaged goods" (plaques...) to live less dementia-filled lives than other sisters with plaques who didn't have some type of activity pulling them on.

http://www.amazon.com/Aging-Grace-Teaches-Healthier-Meaningful/dp/0...

There might be hope for me yet since I do exercise. Time will tell.

I have to comment here since I am a certified senior!
I can tell my memory is worse when I haven't been on the treadmill. If I start counting backward from 100 by 7s and I don't have it finished in 8 seconds, I am definitely losing it.
If, however, I have been on the treadmill, I can finish in 6 seconds. Ah, memory! Tell the researchers they didn't control adequately for make-a-difference-exercise!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service