I'm baking (Canadian Thanksgiving) two succulent pumpkin pies, and I just noticed something interesting.

I've always known pies and such are high in carbs (usually 40-60 carbs per slice); also I know that sugar is 2 carbs per 2 tablespoons. But somehow I never thought that flour would be where the rest of the carbs come from (I knew it contributes--but not how much).

23 carbs for 2 tablespoons!!! Holy crap!! It has more carbs than four sugar tablets!!

I'm using Robin hood best for cakes and pastries mix. I plan to calculate exactly what each slice of pie will be worth after I'm done, should be around the expected 40-60 carbs a slice.

Tags: CRAP, HOLY, carbs

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In my experience flour is even harder on my blood glucose than sugar. Neither is very friendly though.

Happy Thanksgiving
I totally agree with having a treat for thanksgiving :-)

Haha, so true about flour hitting harder than sugar sometimes! And I noted that brown sugar has 4 carbs per teaspoon. I thought of artificial splenda after I started baking, I recall seeing a brown sugar variant (very important to pumpkin pie). Maybe next time...I thought of it after I'd mixed everything in, lol. Oh well...I'm making a carbs list for the pie and dividing it by portion so me and mum will know exactly what to give ourselves.

Happy thanksgiving to everyone else! =D I joked to mum as we carted the groceries home in our buggy that we nowadays 'go harvest the grocery store' during this time of the year. I mentioned it when she was pulling it up the steps and she yelled "NO! Don't make me laugh now, I won't get it up the stairs!" XD
My daughter made some low carb cheese cake once with ground almonds for the crust. It was quite good. If you sub splenda for the sugar it might be a treat you could live with.
Here's a low carb pumpkin pie recipe.

Pumpkin Pie--6 servings, 9.8 carbs per serving (if you subtract fiber there's 5 grams fiber, so 4.8 net carbs per slice)

Filling

1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup heavy cream
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp maple extract
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
zero carb sweetener to taste (I use stevia & Fiberfit liquid Splenda. Granular Splenda has carbs.)

Crust

2 cups pecans
4 TBS melted butter

Put pecans in blender or food processor & pulse until it looks like meal. Mix nuts with melted butter & press into pie pan.

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine all filling ingredients & mix well. Add more spices, if needed. Some people like pumpkin pie kind of spicy.

Pour into crust & bake 35-40 minutes, until set in the center.

Great topped with whipped cream.
Gerri,

You are using a pre-made crust right?

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
Nope. The crust (pecan meal) is included in the recipe above. Tons of carbs in packaged crust. Total carbs listed includes the crust.
Enjoy!
Klondike Bar is only 29 I will take the klondike bar

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Where are you Medicare? The elephant was not in the room

This was the question burning in people’s mind and passionately talked about yesterday and today at the General Sessions of the AACE/ACE Consensus Conference on Glucose Monitoring, an event to bring together in Washington, DC all relevant stakeholders to Read on! →

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service