Hi,
I was diagnosed as type 1 a year ago in february but still seem to be in my honeymoon period- How long did other people's last for?
Thanks, Becki x

Views: 1815

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am so glad you asked this! I wonder this a lot as well- I actually just "celebrated" my 1 year diagnosis anniversary (yesterday, January 23- although in hindsight I can see that I was sick for at least two months before that) and I have to admit that in general, my insulin needs have not changed too much. Looking more specifically at different times of the month (my period messes everything up) I fluctuate A LOT depending on that and my needs almost double. But during my "down time" (what I call the times between periods) I am at about the same insulin requirements.

I wonder if it has anything to do with my level of activity/control? My last A1C was 6.1 and I exercise (cycling) very regularly (In fact, for my anniversary I went out for a 56 mile ride :) I keep waiting for the anniversary to be over... My doc really has no set info on it to tell me. I guess we are all different.
Cant' say for certain. I was in a new T1 study looking at the honeymoon period for the two years. My insulin needs were extremely low and did not change much for those two years, at the very least. My A1cs fluctuated between the high 4s and mid 5s, mostly depending on the time of the year. I didn't notice big changes in either until I stopped seriously training about 7 years after my Dx.
Hi, thanks for all the replies, I just never seemed to get any answers from the consultant when I asked about it! But when I went into hospital and got diagnosed my blood sugars were relatively lo compared to some of the stories I've heard (about 23 mmol/l 2 hours after eating), so I just wander if that's why Im still on tiny insulin doses!! x
I was just thinking about this today because January 28th will be my third year with diabetes. I believe I am still in a honeymoon period because of the tight control and low amount of insulin I take. I haven't had any change to my regimen for almost all 3 years. So either I am in a honeymoon period, I am extremely sensitive to insulin, or I have some other kind of disease instead of type one. I can only wonder.

What is confusing to me, is that while my total daily insulin (4 for Lantus, and about 7-ish for Humalog) is low I still get really high post-prandial values in the mid-200s for a few hours after a meal. I usually come down to <150 before the next meal. I just had my first A1C post diagnosis, and it was a 7.1 So not the most stellar blood sugars, but still better than my diagnosis at 14.9. I think I've been developing T1 for 2 years, so like one of the other people mentioned, my official honeymoon might be shorter because it was undiagnosed for so long.

So my question is, if you take relatively small amounts of insulin but have high post-prandials, is that really a honeymoon period?

Have you basal tested yet? It could be you need to adjust that as well as figure out your carb to insulin ratio. All that may be changing.

I am fifteen months into my honeymoon, I am just wondering when the other shoe will drop.

...and at the other end of the spectrum, I never had a honeymoon. *_* No fair.

30 years and counting... waiting for my damn honeymoon.

I love old threads. :)

/\/\

haha poor bugger are you serious that you didnt have one iota of a honeymoon? not a period of using stuff all insulin?

I was dx'ed at Scripps Clinic in La Jolla the year after I graduated from UCSD. I was playing in a band and working at the Old Globe Theater in San Diego as a set builder. I was a real busy guy -- not a lot of time to tend to how I was feeling -- and I'd swear I spent more time at the water cooler and in the loo than working on the sets. I was the same height I am now back then (1982), but whereas I weigh 185 pounds right now, I was a meager 127 pounds back then... perhaps I had a honeymoon before I was dx'ed? Who knows. All I know is I never had one after my dx, and I was certainly starving in the midst of plenty.

/\/\

Not to but into your other convo but I see we are neighbors...I live in Encino. It's kind of nice to find other adult T1's lurking in the Valley...

For 30 years I have been injecting in restaurant restrooms and testing almost everywhere out there... and I have never once -- not one single time -- seen anyone else doing what I do. I thought I was the only one! Ha!!

Nice to make your acquaintance, drsoosie. I'm sure there are many (MANY) more of us -- here (in the val), there and everywhere.

/\/\

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service