HOW CAN I LOSE WEIGHT (without ripping my hair out)-Type 1

Ok, so I am a Type 1 who was diagnosed last year when I was 22 years old. Because I presented in DKA, I was severely dehydrated...so I had gotten really skinny.

Looking back then, I looked "sick." So I knew that I would gain a little bit of weight when I got out of the hospital, I mean I gained 12 pounds just in the hospital from all of the fluids they gave me. HOWEVER, now, I am up about 22 to 24 pounds total and it's starting to scare me. I am on Novolog (3x/day) and Lantus (1x/day). I also quit smoking recently and I gained about 6 or 7 pounds from that, but I just feel like now I have a really hard time trying to maintain.

Since I'm new to the game, and have only been diagnosed less than a year, I was wondering if anyone can give me some hints on how to lose weight. Or even some type of workout plan for me to try.

I really appreciate any comments/advice you might give me :)
Thanks guy and God Bless

Views: 80

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Totally agree with the Low Carb route to weight loss. I also say it is alot of experimentation and testing. Some good reads are Dr Bernstein's diabetes solutions, if that's too extreme, try The Primal Blue Print, or the Paleo Diet. An older book called Protein power written by a Dr Mead is really great and explains alot about insulin directly being linked to wt gain, basically the higher your insulin levels the more fat is stored from lingering carb. Trust me the books are far better at explaining this. Good job kicking the smoking habit!! koodos.
Cheers!
I actually have the Protein Power book, it is by the Drs Eades. I also have their "Low Carb Comfort Food" cookbook, which I believe was my first low carb cookbook. They also have a website. I am also a fan of Dana Carpender who has written a number of low carb cookbooks. Of course our favorite Gerri will also suggest you visit some of her favorite on-line resources such as Lindas Low Carb.
Hi Tom , I found it interesting about how you said that you exercise right after a meal I thought that I was the only one that new about that little secret ....isn't  it amazeing how little insulin that you need during exercise .... Anyway the problem that I'm  having is this  I am trying to lose 30 pounds and I can't even lose 5 but I have no problem maintaining it seems that the only way that the scale ever goes down for me is when I eat less than 1000 calories a day and I have done that before but it just makes miserable
I strongly believe that my diabetes is the reason that I can't lose .... I am on the pump with a 1.35 basil and sometimes I go low at night but if I lower this basil to 1.30 I go to high and the high bl make me crazy hungry anyone else get ravinous when their sugar is high
Hi Tom , I found it interesting about how you said that you exercise right after a meal I thought that I was the only one that new about that little secret ....isn't  it amazeing how little insulin that you need during exercise .... Anyway the problem that I'm  having is this  I am trying to lose 30 pounds and I can't even lose 5 but I have no problem maintaining it seems that the only way that the scale ever goes down for me is when I eat less than 1000 calories a day and I have done that before but it just makes miserable
I strongly believe that my diabetes is the reason that I can't lose .... I am on the pump with a 1.35 basil and sometimes I go low at night but if I lower this basil to 1.30 I go to high and the high bl make me crazy hungry anyone else get ravinous when their sugar is high
That's my problem too. The better control I have the fatter I get. I wish I had the discipline to knock off more carbs but I have a really bad sweet tooth and artificial sugars kill my stomach. Good luck to you.
it is SO frustrating!!!
my bloog sugar is awesome and my a1c is awesome and i feel great...but im getting fat. what is going on?!
Ask your endo about Symlin. It is the injectable form of amylin, which is another hormone which is destroyed when your pancreas was attacked. Amylin helps with the feeling of satiety, and also helps to lower blood sugars. https://www.symlin.com/

I've been on Symlin about a year and have lost a little over 20 lbs. I wish it was more weight, but I'm happy with the 20. One thing symlin will do is make you a bit nauseated, so when you start it, you start with a small dose and slowly increase it over several weeks. I take it with lunch and dinner, and any time I'm going to eat more than 250 g of carbs.
Um. Did I read that right? More than two-hundred and fifty grams of carb?
calories, sorry!!
You mentioned suggestions for a workout plan - are you on any plan at all right now? I think I've been able to keep my weight (and blood sugar levels) relatively stable because I try to exercise 5-6 times a week. It's just a matter of finding something you like to do and keeping at it. For me, it's mostly running, but I've read of others on this forum that keep things under control by just going for a walk, so I don't think it has to be too strenuous. That's about all I can think of.
i know...walking really is the miracle cure, it just seems so boring to me though, you know? i actually just picked up a tae bo dvd so i think that ill give that a try, thanks so much
Well, if walking alone is boring, then spice it up. I have a treadmill that sits right in front of a tv with a dvd player. Or how about going to the mall in the winter and just walking around and comparison shopping. As a bonus, pay yourself $1 into the cookie jar every time you go to the mall, walk and don't buy anything. How about walking to work?

Just some thoughts.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service