I have a new administrator (principal) that just started after Thaksgiving. I asked to talk to her last week about my diabetes, and the fact that I often struggles with lows and an urgency to use the restroom. She told me that was my problem and to talk to my doctor. Any suggestions how to "tactfully" respond?

Views: 289

Replies to This Discussion

I am newly diagnosed, and when I went to my principal, he was very understanding and willing to accommodate. I am a special education teacher and my wife is a human resources director, so we know a lot about workplace accommodations. The Americans with Disabilities Act, ADA, prevents employers from discriminating because of health problems. Maybe your principal is uneducated, and you should talk to her and let her know this is a disability, and that some things are out of your control. She may ask if it affects your ability to perform your job successfully, respond with an astounding NO!!! If you don't get the results you want, if I were you, I would call the local ACLU representative and have them mediate for you. This is unacceptable behavior from the principal.
Wow - you need to talk to your NEA or union rep. It is a reasonable accommodation to provide you with frequent coverage to use the restroom or to go to a private place to deal with your lows (i.e., testing, adjusting your insulin, eating, etc...)
Up until now, I haven't had a concern with health (bathroom) breaks...but as of September, I'll be teaching a new format(French), and apparently going from 9:00am till 11:45 without a break. There wont likely be a problem...but my plan, aside from mentioning this to the principal (who, I might add, is not the most compassionate!), is to also seek the aide of the teacher whose children I will be "collecting" for French, say at 10:00, and she can perhaps keep an eye on them while I zip down to the washroom. Mine is a private school....no unions there!!
I read that most female educators and medical staff suffer fr. urinary incontinence because they never have time to use bathroom
Yikes...something else to look forward to!!!
Tell them? We are suppose to tell them? As a T2 and not on any BG lowering meds (Metformin only) I keep my condition to myself. It is not that I am trying to hide anything, and I did put it on my medical card that the school nurse has, but I do not want the added attention. I can manage just fine, got a food, testing & bathroom routine down just fine. I would probably have a different outlook if I was a T1.
Did you find a tactful way to address this troll-principal?
Tactfully "educate" the Principal. Example: Maybe you haven't worked with a diabetic before. These are the accomodations that I need. (Extra bathroom break, testing, snack, insulin time,etc.)
If you have a nurse at your school get her involved. They do 504 accomodations for students with diabetes and they have a list of the accomodations that apply also to an adult diabetic.
If still no result, then it's time to say, I will need to contact the office for ADA since I'm protected under the American Disabilities Act.Either they are my union will be contacting you shortly. Don't get in a confrontation. If you aren't comfortable talking alone, get the union rep. (if you have that)
Well actually, things have been running rather smoothly....in that I allow my 10:00 to 10:30 grade 2 students to return to their home room a couple minutes earlier if I feel the need to zip to washroom. However....
I guess due to all the stress and rushing about at this time of the year....I start off in the morning higher than after breakfast....that was an issue a while back....but things got better. Now it's back! So by the time I've been at school for half an hour (around 8:30)...I'm low. A couple of days ago...while in a low, I made a comment to another teacher, that didn't make any sense....I was mortified more because she gave me a rather strange look which didn't come across as "hey, it's OK...not your fault...I know it's your diabetes"....but more of a "what the heck's wrong with YOU look"...which broke my heart, because I rather admired her as a great educator, and a very compassionate person. It took me a while to overcome this sense of feeling all alone.When I explained the situation to another teacher, who had been an interested observer, she commented "Maybe I should warn the students, this should make for an interesting class". So, you see....though they SAY they understand....truly, they don't.
The upside is that my principal is also diabetic. The downside is that she is a "I can eat whatever, whenever I want" kinda diabetic. Her A1C hasn't seen single digits for awhile. So when I need to talk, she hasn't a clue why I can't be like her. Yikes. But she is sympathetic in someways.

I like the direct approach - I'm diabetic and this is what I need. That was good advise. Your administrator needs an education (so does mine!) You are right to want to have something worked out for lows and restroom. How old are your kids? I have 7th graders and I have them trained for what to do during a low (what to bring me or when to get help) and my neighbors all know how to use my ER kit and will cover me for a quick trip down the hall. Until the principal figures it out make your own plan.
The children I teach range from 6 all the way up to 10 years old. My ultimate fear is that I will go noticeably low in a class situation, and the parents will be informed via the children....and I will lose my post!!!
Can you keep snacks in desk? Can you keep meter in desk and test indiscreetly? Btw classes interchanging can u test then? I know it's hard. I left substitute teaching after I lapsed in coma fr. pneumonia?

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service