How do I stop my sinuses from draining? What is the best thing to take so i can get better............

Hi all - Well today I have had the worst sinus pressure and drainage . Omg it is awful! Well it all started with my daughter coming home yesterday with a runny nose. Well we all know how that goes........ So i wake up in the middle of the night with a awful sour throat! My bs was 130 before i went to be well...... when i woke up at 12oo am it was 493 ! are you kidding me i changed my settings and still no change . All day today they have been between 200-350 i feel like i have been hit by a train! I have tried to take sudafed and that did not help.... tried the vaporizer and that did not help ! What can i do to sleep and to feel better i am in need bad i can not afford to miss any work............. Help :(

Links added by the TuDiabetes Administration

http://www.tudiabetes.org/profiles/blogs/583967:BlogPost:2443254

http://www.tudiabetes.org/forum/topics/weird-sinus-sensation-when

http://www.tudiabetes.org/forum/topics/help-am-i-allergic-to-my-ins...

http://www.tudiabetes.org/forum/topics/allergies-blood-pressure-and...

Tags: draining, neti, pressure, sinus, sinuses

Views: 23012

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Samantha,
A few months ago, my endo recommended the Neti Pot to me for cases like the ones you describe. Here is a video on how it works:

It REALLY works. You can get it at your local pharmacy.
My wife uses this. It seems to work for her. Herman
I use a similar device than the nedi pot, it is along the same line, it gently squirts warm water up one side of your nose and comes out the other, feels a bit awkward but really helps, hope u feel better soon
great thank you so much! do you guys know how much the nedi pot is?
Hi Samantha,
I don't know how much the neti pot is but also use a warm saline wash as well. If you can get it i would stongly reccommend doing so. It will come in handy over and over. Getting your sinuses to drain and keeping your nasal passages cleaned and moist really has helped me to prevent a lot of sinus infections. I wish you well and sure hope you find it. My best to you.
Samantha:

Gosh, if I knew that answer for sure, I'd be a millionaire!! I can only make a few suggestions that may make you feel more comfortable. Try elevating your head in bed so it doesn't drain down your throat. Mucinex DM seems to help me a lot. I am also one of those people prone to starting any illness with a stuffed head and sore throat. Do you have a portable cool air humidifier to place near your bed?

This next one is a doozy! You know, there are ways to clear out your sinuses. They can vaccuum them with a little suction machine. My DR of long ago said they could do that for me but it wouldn't feel so hot!! There are days when I want to take my own vaccuum and suck it all out. With my luck, I'd suck all my brains out too!!

Hope you feel better really soon. I have had only 2 respiratory illness since I retired in 2004....and that coming from someone who was always sick. When I wasn't sick, students were around me all the time coughing, etc.; sick professors; sick co-workers; and, thus, sick Lois!!

Hugs and health!

Lois La Rose
Milwaukee, WI
I have had the exact same thing for the past few days. The best thing I have found in Aleve-D. If I take it every 12 hours like it says, I feel fine. Also, if you are stuffy and have a hard time breathing at night, try Breathe Right strips. They work wonders for me as well. Hope you feel better soon.
Hi Samantha,
I have been an allergy and sinusitis sufferer for years (I am also a physician). I have also been a user of the Neti pot for years. It is inexpensive, easy to use, very effective, and not potentially harmful like chronic use of nasal sprays or decongestants. It works well with the salt solution packets (the pot comes with a few and you can purchase more) or plain saline but I also like to use a solution called "Alkolol" that you can buy over the counter in the drug store (also inexpensive). You will feel better after the first treatment (you wont believe the stuff that will drain out of your sinuses!). I highly recommend it. Hope you feel better soon.

Scott L.
Gainesville, FL
Hey all,

Isn't running through your sinuses icky feeling? I tried some sort of wash years ago where I had to lay on the bed with my head over the edge and I just couldn't get the stuff through without choking to death on it. It grossed me out!!!!!!!!

Lois La Rose
Lois,
If you use the Neti pot as directed in the instructions (positioning your head exactly as they say) it isn't too bad. If you tilt your head the wrong way you can feel like you're drowning. The unbelievable amount of nasty stuff that drains out is a bit gross but the relief is worth it in my opinion.

Scott
Scott:

OK. I'll give it a try if it's not too expensive at my pharmacy. You won't believe the collection of stuff in my head every morning when I wake up. I usually have to cough, hawk, blow and do all sorts of disgusting things to get some of that cr*p out. How can such a little area cause so many problems?!!!!!! Of course, allergies and all, it might be helpful if I hire someone to come in and dust, etc.

Thanks for the advice. It's good to have a DR on hand to know the right things to do. What kind of DR are you? I hope not a gyn!!!!!!!

Lois La Rose
It seems like every other week or so I wake up in the morning with a bad sinus headache accompanied by nausea. Is the nausea caused by the drainage?

I wish I could figure out what's triggering them and how to prevent them. I've tried a variety of over the counter sinus products and also a product similar to the Neti pot but haven't had much luck yet. :\

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service