Hiya,

I am a T1 coming up on  my 25th anniversary. Sometime in August 1985, when i was 11. Its wild to think about! Been some years when i didnt take such good care, and some others when i have dont all i can to take care of all this stuff we need to think about. But its been a journey to "have a relationship with diabetes," as a therapist told me once, and i feel like commemorating somehow, but not sure how.

Just wondering if anyone came up with any great ways to "celebrate" all the strides we take to do what we gotta do...

Views: 746

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I too was diagnosed in August, in my case 1982. In reality I had been showing strong DKA symptoms since late July of that year but it wasn't until me lapsing in and out of DKA coma that I got medical attention. Don't really do much to celebrate it, other than always round up the number of years I've had it :-). In this case I'm starting my 28th year but I almost always tell folks 30 years!

I had once tried to back-extrapolate my exact date of diagnosis but to tell you the truth my personal memories from that period are all a blur. Dang coma :-). I could probably get a copy of my hospital record with date of admission etc. I do remember I got out of the hospital about two weeks after diagnosis and school had already started... probably puts it right after the middle of August.

One thing you can do if you want, is apply for a Joslin 25-year certificate. It used to be unusual for someone to be 25 years after diagnosis and going strong, so it was once a "medal", but now I think it's just a certificate. There are still medals for 50 and 75 years. You need some documentation, and you may be able to help expand medical knowledge of long-term diabetes treatment by some surveys or if you're asked to participate in a research study. See http://www.joslin.org/research/medalist_program.html
Oops, shows how bad I am thinking about anniversaries. I just completed my 28th year... starting my 29th year.
I have memory probs from a diabetic coma when I was 12. Thankfully I have a Twin who helps me remember. BUT I have, to this day, had flashbacks that happen when I hear someone talk of a memory or ask me about something.

I was only out 4 days but it seemed to shut me down enough, I guess.

I know for a fact I was diagnosed in Aug of 1980 because of the surrounding circumstances. Even though it was rare back then I still ended up having a classmate with the same disease: Tony.
Great ideas - thanks. ;) Now that i think about it, it was on or very near my mom's bday when i got out of the hospital Aug 22nd. So i was probably (gulp) in the hospital about now, because i was also there about 2 weeks after a while in ICU due to severe dehydration. My mom, and needless to say I was too, so thrilled i was getting out.

I'm glad its not so rare to be going strong after 25 years. Guess we have alot to be thankful for, in a way. Do you remember those commercials with Mary Tyler Moore saying how 1 in some number of people died from diabetes bla bla bla back then? Very funny (and sad) to think about.

You made me laugh out loud reading your long list of good stuff, Danny. I love diabetic humor - like we're in a private joke club. Think i'll need to make one of those lists..... lots and lots of corn chips of all varietes, shapes, and sizes.
I have not gotten around to applying for my 25 year medal, I think I was diagnosed in November of 1968 right before my 14th birthday.... I but I think I will do the Joslin thing soon... I do not have my medical records from 1968, but my family doctor, now in his late 80's, is still healthy and very active in my home town.. I will write him and ask for his support, as he was so nice to me and told me I was his favorite diabetic!!! I saw him over the Christmas holidays and he was fit as a fiddle.. Thanks for the reminder about how much I have to celebrate in being in pretty good shape...

God Bless,

Brunetta.
I was diagnosed on my 40th bday...for real! Soooo I celebrate w/ no cake, ice cream or margaritas(:
August 1983 here. I have a big bowl of ice cream......sugar free of course!!! Seems funny that a lot of us were diagnosed in August in the early/mid 80's!!! Too wierd
sick in August, diagnosed in September. Close!
My type 1 was diagnosed August 16, 1997. 13 years ago . . .
Happy early anniversary!
I was dx'd 3 days after you!
Aug 1, 1995. 15 yrs this year :-)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service