How far up does 1 gram of carb push your blood sugar?

This is supposed to be different by weight, but my chart doesn't always hold up. If you're T1, would you mind giving your weight (Kg or lbs) and what 1 gram of carb raises your blood sugar (mg/dL or mmol)? Exclude yourself if you are on drugs that also raise it or if you are pregnant - sorry, that's too confounding! I'll put together a chart when I have enough data. Any problems you see, let me know.
Like this:
104 lbs: 1 gram carb raises me 6.5 mg/dL
THANK YOU!

Views: 6995

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm type 1- 135 pounds. 1 carb raises me 2mg/dL
Our teen is about 100 lbs. One gram of carb raises her blood sugar 5 points. This has been true since dx, years ago. Supposedly, one gram should now raise her less, but this has remained constant. Her insulin sensitivity factor has also lately increased. Not supposed to happen and she was already very sensitive to begin with. You have to keep watching and stay alert. Factors can change back and forth. A lot of this may be due to varying degrees of exercise.
1 gm 5 mg/dl
Wassim, what do you weigh?
Everyone has a different ratio. CHeck with your doctor, find out your ratio.
I need 1 unit, novalog for every thirty carbs
i unit will bring my sugar down 90 pts.
With this information you can figure out much of what you need to know.
Check with your Endo for your ratios.
Cassie

Simple algebra says that 1 carb should increases your bg by 3pts. But does that match your experience when you take a very small snack - say 4 carbs because you're in the 60s or a 15g snack without much insulin on board?

Comparing the third piece of data tells you something about your ratios although it isn't always clear what it's telling you:-)

Maurie
Hi Cassie, I appreciate your reply. I'm not looking for how far down a unit will lower blood glucose. I'm looking to see body weight and what 1 gram will put UP the glucose. Will 1 gram put it up 6 mg/dL, 3mg/dL. It looks like you're saying 1 gram puts you up 3 mg/dL. What weight are you? I'm testing out my chart of weights and what has been the rule for many years, and at this point I'm finding that both body weight and where one is on the mg/dL scale determines how far a gram will raise mg/dL. So if you see this again, tell me your weight. And does 1 gram put you up 3 mg/dL when you're at 60 mg/dL and when you're 130 md/dL and when you're 200 mg/dL?
Look at the crap we have to think about just to keep out of the hospital or dead for that matter. How does anyone go out and enjoy themselves walking on eggshells as we do? To answer your question I think 1 gram is about 3 points for me and 1 unit lowers about 25 points. That's starting more or less at a normal level. At extreme highs it will be different. For me to eat a decent carb meal I have inject quite a bit of insulin. I am 5"8 and my weight fluctuates between 165 and 170. I take a fixed dose of Humulin NPH at night for 24 units and throughout the day I generally use between 45 and 50 units for meals and highs.
Thanks Gary. You fit in my chart where you're "supposed" to be! I have been a bit shocked to find that my chart used for many years was not really fitting everyone.
But how could one know when they didn't have test meters? Out with the chart!
I approach all this with a scientifically detached attitude and my body = just one instance. Thinking about it that way moves me off emotionality & stress about it and onto the mathematical deductions that only a nerd can love! Love math for math's sake! And thanks again!
I weigh 190lbs and 1 gram of carb raises me different amounts depending on time of day. I am on a pump so I just look at it backward. For me I take 1 unit of insulin to lower my BG 45. My carb ratio at dinner is 1 unit to 7 grams of carb. Therefore 7grams of carb should raise BG 45 or divide the 45/7 or 6.4mg/dl per gram of carb.

I roll the same way as Zoe does though. I do use the calc or at least consider it when I am going non-glucose tab and I know I have gone over so I can cover with some insulin for the over indulgence!
T1
168 lbs. 1 gram carb = 5.75 mg/dl.

[This is at my most insulin sensitive time of day]

How do you know your ISF ratios? I have never seen that before.

I weigh 230 lbs and one gram of carb raises my blood sugar about 10 mg/dl

I am confused and I really want to understand this. If I need to lower my blood sugar, I take 3 units to lower it by 50. When I eat I take 1 unit for every 4 grams of carbohydrates. Do these numbers relate in some ways to the ISF or ICR? If I am low and want to raise my blood sugar, 6 grams of carbs raise my blood sugar 60 mg/dl. leo2, What is the chart you are referring to?

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service