i have been reading about injecting insulin up to 30min before a meal. i am wondering how many of you out there do this? i usually inject just before i eat, but from what i have been reading it is advisable to inject 30min prior to allow for the insulin to start working as soon as you start to eat. i do have a problem with not feeling lows, so this is a little scary and i fear i may drop before the meal without noticing.
so do you inject right before, or 20-30mins before or right after eating? i know some that inject after a meal so they can decide how many carbs they have eaten afterwards.

Views: 1406

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I used to bolus about 20 minutes before eating and for me with Apidra that worked fine. My only variations on that were if I were high I'd do a correction and wait longer and if I were low (in the 50s or 60s) I'd bolus and eat right away, unless the low was below that when I'd take a couple glucose tabs and wait for my blood sugar to come up.

I'm now on Symlin so I bolus one hour after eating, but that's a whole different thing.
I'm like a few others where I used to give my fast acting insulin before I ate - but then sometimes I wouldn't eat as quickly as I thought, or I couldn't eat all that I had on my plate - so stopped doing that. Depending on how my blood sugar (BG) is at the time - I'll sometimes give a correction injection with abit more to cover the food I'm eating - but not all of it - and then test abit later to see how my BG is doing and then either give abit more insulin to keep me at a level that I'm happy with. I use the same method as well with my insulin pump, except I set it up in the programming of my pump with an extended bolus. It all depends as well as to how much protein/fat you have in your meal - as that slows down the absorption of food into your blood sugar. It took me about 30 years to figure this one out and I've been a diabetic most of my life :)
Now that I read your answer I must say that I am adjusting my injection pattern too - it is not that static. High fat and carbs => splitted injection: 60% after eating, 40% later. Low BG before eating => dosage reduction and injection after eating. Only with a normal and stable BG I will inject just before I start to eat.
I use Apidra in an Omnipod. If I'm home I bolus 30 min b4 eating. At a restaurant I usually wait a little bit just incase the meal is late in being served.
20 min. My mg/dl starts down at 25 min. I'm on humalog and low carb. If I have any question at all that i might not have given enough, I test at one hour after eating. If there's any spike, I haven't given enough.
now that i'm on the pump i bolus right before i eat if i'm in range and maybe 10 minutes before if i'm higher. before the pump i would wait to inject after i ate because if i ate more than i predicted i didn't want to give myself a second shot...no wonder i had spiking issues...go pump!!
Using Apidra I inject just before I start eating.
In the case of pizza and other foods with a lot of cheese (can't think of any others at this time) I inject just after i finish eating.
- I'm relatively thin
20 minutes before every meal. If I injected after I ate my BG levels would be 200 or so.
I was told to inject 15 minutes before you take a bite of your food, but I inject as soon as I'm ready to eat and have my food ready.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service