Hiya,
Im pretty sure its 3 months before Dka kicks in...
But i just wondered how long ?
thanks x

Views: 2992

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually, I hope the same thing. But here in Nevada, our greatest danger is earthquakes, and if that happens, it will certainly be more than a week or two. After a major earthquake, the roads could be torn up, and there might be SO many people dead and homeless (think Haiti, although we are not nearly so large or poor as Port-au-Prince), and the hospitals might have come down, not to speak of medical personnel not being able to get there -- I don't even want to think about it. Maybe I should start stashing all my meds -- the insurance companies make it hard, but it would be so nice to have a supply, just in case! I'm much less worried about refrigeration than about just having insulin at all.
I live in an earthquake risk zone and I keep a kit with extra food and supplies in it near my door, so I can grab it if there's even "the big one" that they keep warning us about. I don't keep insulin in there, but might start. I also make sure I always have a full insulin pen in my purse&mdah;and, until recently, carried extra test strips and enough supplies to last me at least a few days. It makes me feel much safer having that stuff nearby.
For me? about 6 hours.
Yikes! I've hit DKA 6 hours after my pump malfunctioned without my knowledge, and this is without eating anything. I've heard the longest a person can live with no insulin (meaning, no external source and no residual production of their own) is about 72 hours, although I don't know where I heard that, or if it's accurate. I've never tested it, and of course don't intend to.
I would go into DKA in a matter of hours. More than 5 hours but less than 24. Its happened before

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service