Hi all,

I have a question. I'm pretty sensitive to lows. However since being diagnosed this June, I am noticing that there seem to be a fraction more experiences now where I don't notice till I'm really, really low. This just in the last few days.

I know you can develop insensitivity to lows over time. How long did it take for those of you who don't feel them as early on before you REALLY don't feel them early on anymore? I just warned my husband that the time may not be too far away that I could drop and he could be pouring oj down my throat.

A little bit freaked out right now...

Views: 91

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For me, the difference between feeling lows & not being aware of them is how quickly I'm dropping. With slow lows, I don't feel them as acutely. I've felt dreadful in the low 60's & fine in the 30's. Like everything else, it's variable.

Experiencing this for just a few days isn't anything to worry about. Don't freak out.

The trick is, of course, is to test frequently & correct lows immediately. Frequent lows decrease awareness. People can regain their sensitivity to lows by having BG run a bit higher.

To answer your question, it was before the two year mark when I started noticing lows less.
Hmmm. Thanks for this, Geri! Definitely correct the lows right away. It's just that today's and Saturdays totally caught me off guard, usually I can detect things falling rapidly before it gets too bad...

I am noticing that there is a monthly pattern to this so far, you probably understand where I'm going with that. Highs about a week before, then days before rapid drops. I notice you're on shots too - does having a pump improve the possibility of detecting lows earlier? Just curious. It will be a while before I'll be eligible for a pump I gather, since my diagnosis was just a few months ago. Not that I definitely want to go on one, but wondering if a pump setup provides more of an advantage in terms of detecting rapidly falling BG...
I hear you, sister.

A pump won't have any effect on detecting lows earlier, or how many lows you have. Don't know if you're using Lantus, but I had awful afternoon lows using it.
Yeah I am using Lantus, but the lows always come in the evening. Again, rarely but definitely about this time. Well good to know the pump is not an advantage. I'm fine with shots and to tell the truth, I'm not sure I'd really want to know so much about everything that's going on every moment, lol! Ignorance, or some of it anyway, can be bliss...
If u are using pump the good thing is you can different profiles in a day. As far as the lows are considered it depends
1. body weight: People with higher body weight have greater sensitivity to lows.
2. over a period of the body gets used to what it sees as the new normal. The only way to come out of it is maintain higher BS for a few months and then u will regain the sensitivity to some extent.

The morning lows are common with people who have had been taking Insulin for 5 or more years. One way to avoid is by taking a cup of milk, a fruit like apple before u hit the sack and then probably another glass of milk right after u wake up.

If u are having evening lows then trying having some salad about 3-4 hours after u have ur lunch or a glass of milk is good if u r busy with ur day schedule and do not get an opportunity to take a break.

lantus and basal insulin(in case of a pump) are supposed to meet the basic insulin requirements when we are fasting. These insulins do provide much steadier profiles compared to the earlier generation of insulins, but in terms of absorption rates they are not the same as the insulin produced by our beta cells.
what about having almost all my lows when I'm asleep, usually between 2 - 3 in the morning??? I do take 10 units of Lantus every night at 9PM. What do you think??
A bedtime snack of protein might help, because protein takes a long time to digest, and a significant amount of it is converted to glucose, but very slowly. That bit of glucose from the protein might well cover you. A bit of cheese or some yogurt might be just the thing.

If you were on a pump, you would be able to set your basal that covers that time period lower than your usual basal. The good part of the pump is that you can make tiny, frequent adjustments, but you have to have a pretty regular pattern in order to do that.

Hoping for the best for you! :-)
Well... A pump won't have any effect but it can helps you to increase stability with a good BG mean and so you can improve lows awareness.
Here in Italy a "hypoglycemia unawareness" is one of the possible requisites to be "a candidate" to have a pump (it's covered by the National Healt System so you must be "a good candidate").
I agree.
Yes, frequent lows decrease awareness. I had this problem in late 2009 and at the beginning of 2010.
My endo told me to run higher for a period. I had a strong insensitivity to lows so he said to try not going under 150 in that period.
And how did you feel during that time period? Did you feel too high?
Listen to this podacast.
http://www.diabetespowershow.com/DiabetesPowerShow_75.html

These guys are great.
Alot of good tips in all their talks.

I found TuD from listening to their show.
Thanks Michael! I shall have a listen.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service