My old Endo always wanted me on a strict regiment of 4 basal rates.

12AM-6AM
6AM-12PM
12PM-6PM
6PM - 12AM

Since having left her care I added in an additional basal rate from 3AM to 6AM. That gives me a grand total of 5 basal rates right now. Things are good for a lot of my basals, but I know I need a change from 10am-3pm as I go low then often. Oddly though, the timing is smack dab in the middle of two of my basal rate times.

So, my question is how many basal rates do you have in a 24 hour period and what are their time ranges? Also, how these rate quantities and timing are working out for you. Feel free to post what the rates are as well, but as Im sure you all know that changes from person to person like taste in foods. Also, any thoughts on managements relation to the basal timing is appreciated (e.g., sleep for only 4 hours on average, so shorter basal timings at night).

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Views: 935

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Donovan, hope you're back to good health soon!

Got an email from my CDE today in response to sending her reports from dex/ping. She suggested a few tweaks to my basal rates, hopefully I'll end up flatter.

I do have DP, it kicks in as soon as I get up, no matter what time it is, so makes it difficult to address with a basal. Happens if I nap, too. Lie down... BG goes down, sometimes way down. Get up, it goes up. I may talk with the CDE about doing a small bolus as soon as I get up.
Let me bounce this idea off you guys. I'm like onesaint... lie down, I go low. Get up, I go high. I'm back to around 100 (where I want to be) within 1 1/2 hours of getting up. I'm wondering if a small bolus before I even get out of bed would help? Will discuss it with my CDE too. My basal seems to be right on as I recover from the high and stays pretty flat.
I bolus two extra units for DP, if I change my basal it does not work as DP only happens after I get up in the a.m.
Thanks Karen, glad I'm on the right track here!
Hi Jrtpup.

I too was in the mode of trying to wake up to a shot in the early AM of 2u humalog and yes this did work for me as well. I just could not get into the habit .....I guess I shold have set my alarm !!! lol

P.S. Onesaint and Jrt, thanx for the well wishes I't has brought me back to the forum.I am doing well Donovan
I experience the same thing, jrt. But for me, the difference is not extreme -- maybe 30 mg/dl. How much do you vary?
Usually around 40, but it can go up or down as much as 60. A 39 in the middle of the night, a 157 an hour after waking up.... *sigh*
I am blessed ??!! ...I don't seem to have the DP problem some ( or is it most ?? ) are mentioning here ...my Pump Nurse used to say " I am different " ...I agree ...I am :)
Hi Nel
I'm glad to report I do not have the DP now that I've switched to the pump ....I've now been on the Medtronic VEO for six months.
I lived with a BG of 5-6 at 4am then shot up to 13 at 7am most mornings I would eat one egg and three egg whites for breakfast NO Carbs for ......I tnink 8years I hated not having toast.

Donovan
For what it's worth, this is precisely what I do. I leave my pdm beside the bed and when my alarm clock goes off I immediately give myself a bolus of 0.8 units. I then wait a few minutes before I get up. This helps alleviate the immediate spike from going vertical from horizontal. It's a weird phenomenom but it's good to hear it's a shared problem and one that, for my part, I believe can be solved. In my view this is very much separate and distinct from the otherwise predictable DP. Good luck with your regimen! Mike.
Thanks Mike, glad to know it's not a totally off the wall idea and might actually work. I think I'll try .25 tomorrow morning. I like to make changes slowly.

Yes, I agree it's not the same as DP. If I nap, no matter what time, I experience the same thing. The rest of my day can be virtually flat or off the wall, doesn't seem to matter. I believe it was onesaint who said the same thing happens to him, as did Natalie above. Maybe I'll start a new thread.
Great idea - it would perhaps confirm this effect in a larger sample. I don't recall ever having read about this phenomenom before but it appears to be for real. Thanks. Mike.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes and Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service