I try to shoot for no more than 50 gr per meal and shoot for under 200 total per day. But reading in Jenny's blog, I am thinking I should be shooting for less.

How about the rest of you?

Tags: carbs, diet, food, low-carb, meal, nutrition, paleo

Views: 40326

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Go ahead and post here, you'll get plenty of opinions and guidance ;)
i eat 30 carbs every meal, every day. i want my body to know what to expect. i also have a special hydration drink i have to drink - 40 carbs per day for that. i drink it slowly over the whole day. i don't snack - except for one or 2 dark chocolate squares after dinner! so 140 carbs for me. maybe up to 145 depending on how much chocolate!

Between 40 - 70 per meal. Roughly 200 a day

I'm T1 in the US of A

Breakfast: 45
snack (if I can fit it in and want one) under 20
lunch 60
snack (again if i can fit it in and want one) 20
dinner 75

All these are up to numbers. I used to hate popcorn but after my dx, I seem to have some every night before bed on days where I have one or no snacks. I usually with out fail hit my breakfast. Before my dx I never ate breakfast, now If I go with out it, I'm a total bear.

I shoot for less than 50 per day. I have IR big time and something like 30-40 grms of carbs would cause me to have a blood glucose around 300 with a shot of 25 units of Apidra. I have been on the south beach diet and it works for me. Rick

I have been trying to eat 60g with each meal-- total 180 per day with no snack. I'm certainly not convinced this is the best way of doing things, and I'm open to all other ideas and suggestions. The CDE I met with on the very first day I was diagnosed told me 45-60g of carbs with each meal. I had lost 20 lbs at that point, and was thin before I lost all the weight, so I decided to go on the high side. That was only a month ago, so I've stuck with it, mostly just for the sake of consistency, and trying to get a baseline figured out before I start experimenting too much-- have decent control, but definitely get spikes higher than I would like to see after meals. Haven't had a post-meal reading over 180 in the past week though, so thats better. I have no doubt I was in the quadruple digits after meals right before diagnosed. I'd still like to improve my control much more though. Just ordered Dr. Bernstein's book. As I'm in honeymoon phase, I'm only taking small doses of insulin-- which limits my ability to fine tune doses. IE the difference between 3 and 4 units is proportionally much more than the difference between 10 and 11 units. By all means I welcome all other suggestions-- I'm 6'1 about 185 lb (normally) and type 1.

First thing, welcome to D. Sorry you had to join the party. Second, read the book, it's an eye opener. Plus there is some thought on the Honeymoon / insulin dosing that might be helpful right now.

So, I tend to think of it like this, non PWD have BGs in the 80s/90s and there is no reason we shouldn't as well. That will keep both our bodies and the Dr.s happy.

If you need anything, please call on any of us here. We're all happy to help and lend avice or support at a moments notice.

Thanks for the welcome. I actually ordered the 2003 edition of Dr. Bernstein's book-- found it on ebay for like a dollar. Has anything important been added to the several newer editions?

I've been wondering about this, as well - namely, how low is low-carb and what should I shoot for I terms of g of carbs per meal/per day?

It seems there are two general options that look good:

1. Keep a solid amount of healthier carbs in my diet and cover with insulin.
2. Go low-carb to a stricter degree. I'm not convinced I HAVE to do this to maintain better BG control, but, as many people have pointed out, smaller carb qtys = insulin smaller doses = smaller mistakes. In other words, it can be easier to count carbs with this approach and the pitfalls are lesser.

Im basically going on a meal-by-meal basis right now. If I find anything that really messes with my BG I'll probably cut it out and try to focus on foods that are more predictable, regardless of whether I'm eating 10g or 50g of carbs.

You might put your first question to the Bernstein group. Although, they will generally say about 30 carbs a day. Shooting for 6-12-12. 6 breakfast, 12 lunch, and 12 dinner. But, we (Bernstein group) are spread out carb wise, so please pose the question for more input there.

On the other notes, yes, I agree. If I could keep my BGs tight with minimal attention to carb amounts, I would. I find though, that eating "normal" amounts of carbs just makes for screwy days BG wise. And especially after changing my metabolism to LCHF. Call it incentive I guess. =^)

The law of small numbers really is a nice advantage. LBS with 5u IOB is tough compared to LBS with .5u IOB.

If going meal by meal, keep a diary. I was doing that for a while and would run into meals I forgot and would have to experiment bolusign again. I found I don't get a bolus perfect for at least a few times of eating the same thing (e.g., cobb salad), taking fat, protein and carbs into consideration (see the TAGing group). If eating higher carbs, just make sure your using the glucose your consuming (i.e., exercise). There's more ways to skin the cat, but finding the right one for you personally can be hard.

Thanks for the info! I'm only a few weeks into this - a month, to be exact, so I am still figuring out how certain food items affect me.

Fats and slow-acting carbs like lentils seem to really delay my BG spikes so, in some ways, I almost prefer a fast acting carb that is more consistent in raising my BG and, therefore, more predictable when dosing.
We'll see what happens!

No problem! I haven't read an updated copy myself, so I can't say. I presume it's the same theories with updated references and recommendations (like certain meds, goals, etc.). Granted he's been touting this for 60 years, so.,,

When I started, I read the book, talked a lot with a few other T1Ds (a low carber and another a non low carb biologist) and tried to get a real understanding of what my metabolism was doing and going to do (and I still don't think I completely understand it all!). So, do your research be it low carb or not. I personally found this way works and over the last 2 years have had my most normal BGs (80-120) in my 26 years as a T1D.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service