How many Test Strips do you use in 1 month? Just Curious.

I seem to be a compulsive "tester".....I was just wondering if I am "out there" on how many Test Strips I use. I will say about 400-500 a month!!!! I get 300 a month covered on my insurance.

Additional Resources added by the TuDiabetes Administration
http://www.tudiabetes.org/forum/topics/less-expensive-test-strips-t...
http://www.tudiabetes.org/profiles/blogs/medicare-coverage-for-test...
http://www.tudiabetes.org/notes/Diabetes_Patient_Assistance_Resources

Tags: assistance, glucometer, strips, test, testing

Views: 12189

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i use 400 about a 100 a wk .. i test alot around my workouts . my metabolism stays up after my workouts so i test test test

I test at least 260-300 times a month.

I test a lot less now I'm on a CGM. Once it's calibrated in, as long as things are stable it's only 2 tests a day.

Anyone else ever found that you're recommended 8-10 times a day testing, and then when they go to write a prescription they'll write one for 100 strips a month?
I always had to point it out, and that it was about one third of what I'd use...

Also, problems at a pharmacy getting that many at once. The double takes and questions about the number of tests you do, etc...

This has happened several times...Kind of makes me wonder how many people truly do test this much for them to not have the numbers readily available in their minds.

RIGHT!

That's a perfect example of what I mean.

You can do 8 EASILY by this easy to explain method, and if you workout; that's easily another 3 or 4 (once before a workout, one during and one after...so as many as 5 or 6 if things aren't going to plan during), but no. They don't seem to be able to wrap their heads around the total sum. They act like you're trying to fool them out of large prescriptions...

So exasperating.

I use 200-250 strips per month, sometimes more if BG is out of range or I'm ill. A1C has been in the 5's for the last couple of years.

I use about 200 a month. I mean 6-7 a day. If I'm sick 10-15 times. and...my last A1c is %6.8 maybe I should check it more.

About 300 a month so about 10 times a day, but sometimes I test 6 x a day and sometimes 15x. Depends on the kind of day I'm having

I average between 8 and 10 a day. So...not that far from you really. All I can say is don't ever let anyone tell you that you test to much. Never guess. If you are testing because you are terrified that your blood sugar is "out of control" that is a diferent issue. But, if you just like to know where you are at than I don't see that it is an issue. Like so many things in this life, there is that extra out of pocket expense, but sometimes, you just gotta know!

Charles

I had a phone conversation with a pharmasist once and after she said I tested to much I asked her, "Are you telling me that I don't need to test my blood sugar to know what it is?" She changed her tune rather quickly.

I test at least 4 times per day. I have changed to a grocery store brand strips & meter saving over $750 per year (88% savings). No advertisement here but the grocery store starts with a "K". Good luck.

Yes, I like testing a lot. It's the best way of helping keep our BG levels down. Now i've been cut back by the insurance to 200 ! So I'm trying to get back to at least 300, preferably more.

They're expensive - do you bear the cost of the extras?

150-200 per month

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service