How many Test Strips do you use in 1 month? Just Curious.

I seem to be a compulsive "tester".....I was just wondering if I am "out there" on how many Test Strips I use. I will say about 400-500 a month!!!! I get 300 a month covered on my insurance.

Additional Resources added by the TuDiabetes Administration
http://www.tudiabetes.org/forum/topics/less-expensive-test-strips-t...
http://www.tudiabetes.org/profiles/blogs/medicare-coverage-for-test...
http://www.tudiabetes.org/notes/Diabetes_Patient_Assistance_Resources

Tags: assistance, glucometer, strips, test, testing

Views: 12002

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, test strips are only as good as how you use the information you get from them. Insurance companies tend to limit strips because of an English study that showed that Type 2's who tested didn't get any better A1cs than those that did not test. But the important question that they didn't bother to ask was, WHY? Well, it's probably because Type 2's who are not on insulin have no way to DO anything about high numbers, other than to log them and show their docs their logbooks. And then the docs tend not to do anything, either, until it becomes an emergency.

At this point, there are NO Type 2 drugs that will allow a person to get a high BG down. They can try exercise, if they are able, but even that is not always effective. Some medical professionals are advocating early use of insulin, and it makes sense to me if it gives them a way to have immediate feedback and the ability to lower their BGs. Also, because diabetes is some is primarily a secretory defect, with insulin resistance only a contributor, insulin makes sense for them, too. (I just got this out of reading a genetic study).

So, because insurance companies are run by business people for profit, and are NOT in the business of optimizing people's health, they practice a one-size-fits-all policy on test strips, and if you need more, then it's YOUR problem! :-(

NATALIE,YOU ARE SO RIGHT ABOUT EVERY THING YOU SAY.I AM LUCKY THAT I GET WHAT I NEED...SO FAR.

Don't forget that there are people who make a profit selling test strips that they get paid for from insurance companies, including Medicare.
Take a look at EBay.com sometime, and see all the test strip listings.

If *they* are doing something illegal, the insurance companies who are "wronged" should be going after *them* and not interfering with doctor/ patient relationships through the corrupt political arrangements between unethical doctors and insurers.

If you have suggestions on how the insurance comapanies can catch the bad guys then be sure to pass it onto them. It's not as easy as it may seem to be.
As a T1 for 37 yrs I have strong feelings about those to test themseleves something like 10 times a day, every single day. That is just craziness! But I can see doing it on a big workout day, or during an ilness.

we all do what we need to do...period...we know our body better than anyone else...

especially after 75 years w. t1

a) if you want to catch someone doing something bad online, investigate them and bring them to justice. If someone were selling naked pictures of the Kardashians on ebay, they would have a "cease and desist" letter in about 5 minutes. I'm somewhat aware of the expenses involved (I investigate claims for an insurance company...) but it would not cost a ridiculous amount to find these people, find out with whom they are insured, notify the insurer and go after them. I am certain that it is expensive to have the machinery they have in place to deal with complaints which, in my experience, has always led to the insurer backing down and providing what my doctor has already recommended.

B) re your "craziness" allegation, even though I have an "amazing CGM, I still run 12-14 tests most days.
1) wake up, test bg
2) before eating test BG
3) before driving to work test bg
4) 2 hours after eating test bg
5) lunch test BG
6) 2 hours post lunch test bg
7) drive home test BG
8) get home, run 3 miles...oh wait, don't forget to test your bg!
9) post-exercise maybe, maybe not, maybe eat dinner and, you guessed it, test BG
10) 2 hours post BG, test BG ****AGAIN****
12) stay up late? Maybe squeeze in another one, what if you have errands to run, what if you want to exercise more (when it's nicer out, I'll run 6-7 miles during the week, more on the weekends...a lot of times, I'll run a long run on Saturday and then a 20ish mile bike ride for fun, speed and recovery on Sunday...there's several extra strips in there...).

I don't quite have a "normal" A1C and I am certain that anyone who saw me jogging in my lime-green compression socks would go "he is crazy" but I don't believe that I am "crazy" about my blood sugar.

+1 a thousand times!

As Ihave written before, I am in England and my medical care is by the NHS. We pay for it by National Insurance and it was originally set up [in 1947¬!] as free at the point of use and available to all insured persons equally only on the grounds of need. That ideal has slipped a bit, but the principles seem to hang on. I have scoured EBay looking at strips for sale and I have once bought a pack. It had evidence of a pharmacy label removed. since all supplies prescribed for diabetics are Free. [Other people may have to pay prescription charges],Someone received this pack free an then sold it. I complained to eBay and they said they couldn't trace any of this highly illegal practise. Surely though in the USA, the healh insurance companies cold do something about it.

I would like the NHS to set up systems to stop it happening too. I can think of ways of doing it.So cleverere folks shouod be able to too.
Hana

I would be alarmed were my care to be using a 1947 model! eeek!

atalie
I'm T2 on minimal medication and LC diet. I do know how to use my information to control bg. For examole, I test against new foods and daily patterns. I can cut back on "Spiking" foods or even cut them out. I maintain a Low [NORMAL] bg. Current meter average is 4.8 [86.4] on 2 X daily Metformin 500 and 2 x daily testing. Always including fasting.
I'm in England, but that wasn't a study I contributed to.
I couldn't keep so tight without testing. Unfortunately the medical folks are always looking for justification for reducing strips. They wouldn't teach patients to use my method. I met a womwn the other day who has been instructe to test every 4th day and call the medical centre if she finds herself in double figfures. Of course she's also been told that T2 is ALWAYS progressive. She's been diagnosed a couple of years. I attend a different health Centre and have beeen diagnosed almost 10 years. I had to learn what I now know myself.
Hana
Hana

I only test 2-3 times a day, so a lot less than most people here it seems lol. Though my doctor would not be so happy about that...

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service