how many times will you use a syringe before it is time to discard? i have never found it important to change out a syringe after each injection. i use 1 a day, good for 2 to 3 injections. what about you?

Views: 1661

Replies to This Discussion

Over 60 for me, but I recap it immediately. Done this for over 20 years of the 30 I've been on insulin and no problem. I take very small injections. I do have a different syringe for different vials, so as not to mix them. I store the needle beside the vial in the fridge in a tiny juice glass. I am on my second box of 100 syringes in 30 years and I am even using them for B vitamin injections. Guage 31 so it doesn't break easily like a 29 guage would.
one per day. usually use it three times. only time i have ever bruised is when i re puncture a site
I just got the Novolog Pen. How many times do you use the needle you put on that?
I also use a pen for mealtime insulin, humalog in my case.I REuse my pen needles for days at a time, when it HURTS, I KNOW its time for a pen-needle change.

I take Lantus twice a day and use syringes for usually 2 days, or 4 shots before getting a fresh one.

I DO NOT use alcohol pads, haven't for decades. TRIAD had a recent recall due to CONTAMINATION, so in that case using them could CAUSE an infection. Once upon a time I read about a study on this, infectino rates varied little if any between users and non-users.

I also have MS (Multiple Sclerosis) and take a Copaxone injection for that daily as well, can you say HumanPinCushion? My Copaxone comes in single dose per-filled GLASS syringes, so there is NO reuse of them.

Gomer
I use my pen needles 4x a day and change the needle every 3 days. BUT if i have bent the needle or it hurts I change it right away. I do not have insurance so I told my Dr. about my usage and she said do what works but no longer than 3 days max!
Good Luck~

i usually do 3-5 injections per needle

I use all pens now but i do use a clean needle one each one for each injection. I had a reaction to one insulin and i was not sure if it was the reuse of a needle or the insulin so i changed sites and found a reaction to the insulin after this scare i decided to be more careful and not take the chance.

@ $14/100 why reuse?

When I have to split dose, I fill the syringe and inject 1/2 in one spot and the other 1/2 in another within seconds of each other. Then pitch the syringe. One infection and it can cost you a lot more than the money you saved trying to be frugal.

Also, when using an insulin pen, if you leave the needle cap on the pen, it can leak.

>> @ $14/100 why reuse?

Waste, I guess. I don't like that part of this disease, so I rabidly re-use.

This is an ancient thread, but like JaninaWalker who answered here back in mid-2011, I reuse my 3/10s and 5/10s for as long as possible -- until the numbers have rubbed off the outside of the syringe, or until the point hurts. I'm averaging about 20 days per needle these days. I don't clean the syringe with alcohol as that leaves an alcohol residue in the syringe that I do not want to inject subcutaneously.

Never had a site infection. Ever. And I have been doing this a while (a long while). A few uncomfortable injections, sure, but I've had those even with a brand new needle when I happen to catch a nerve, so that doesn't really put me off.

/\/\

When I was on the pen (during the first few months of my diagnosis) I did not realize I was supposed to change them and was using them up to 4 or 5 times...then I met a guy in university and his dad is an endo, he FREAKED when he found I used them more than once - then a few years after that, I switched to syringes (my life changed for the better after that, the pen and I are not friends!) and I use one per injection (which is usually 4-6 syringes a day).

How did your life change for the better after switching? I find that if I DON'T carry a pen I can only dose for the insulin I bring with me. No cheating that way. Example - I go out to eat. I order what I would dose for. THEN I see that apple pie. With the pen I just crank it up and get the pie. Syringe I can't. I don't carry the bottle or extra syringes with me. Just one that I pre-dose.

Edit - I do use a Levemir Pen only at night.

Hiya - well for me the pen was a horrendous experience that literally lasted years, I found it really bulky and awkward. No matter what I did or how I injected it ALWAYS hurt :( and the syringes don't :)
I carry a wee little make up case, about the same size as the case for my glucometer, with my vial of insulin and a package of syringes. (I always leave the clear bottoms off the ones I use, and at the end of the day toss 'em in the sharps bin!)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service