I had to switch endos last year. My beloved endo at Georgetowne U left and I had to scramble. Saw the replacement almost a year ago. In our conversation, he asked if I was only using him to "update" my pump and CGM supplies. It is true--once a year is my norm. Calls? No one answers or gets back to me for days, so I gave that up a long time ago. My PCP writes my scrips, does my bloodwork, etc.

How often do you visit?

Views: 789

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

350 miles!! And I was complaining that if medicare makes me see an endo when I turn 65 I will have to drive an hour over the mountain! I hope it's somewhere you enjoy going anyway!

I found a very supportive and knowledgable Endo, so he's worth the trip. I feel completely at ease when I leave there and so does my husband, which is also important. We feel like he really knows his stuff and are encouraged by his support even when my A1c isn't always where we would like to see it. The one that was in our town made me feel so bad about about having diabetes I wanted to just give up, I felt like what's the use it's going to kill me anyway. Come to find out I wasn't the only one, but I didn't see a doctor at all for over a year because I just couldn't bring myself to go back to that one. Live and learn!

I see my endo twice a year. We both agree that there is no reason for me to be seen more often than that. I haven't suggested that I just go once a year because I am glad to get the labwork twice a year. I am one of her easier patients in that I take diabetes seriously.

Bravo. You seem to have found a winner!

I haven't ever, but I'm sure I will have to eventually.

I was diagnosed in December and on Insulin in February (I was misdiagnosed by my PCP for the first few months). I started going to the Endo in February and I am in love with the education and the support so I go about every month, sometimes more for the education. I'm in the process of getting my pump right now so I am in constant contact with them through email about lows, highs, and illness, I think that I will be going about 3-4 months regularly for a while.

every 2-3 months to keep on track and keep blood work on schedule.

I find this whole line of conversation very enlightening! I never saw an endo until we moved to another town 12 years ago. For 22 years, before we moved, I visited my internist every 3 months. He was a wonderful doctor, very caring and knowledgeable because of being diabetic himself. Also, his rate was very reasonable. The doctor I have now is very expensive. I was seeing him every 3 months until the economic downturn and rising cost of insurance made it difficult to see him that often, so now I see him every 4 months. It is a revelation to me that diabetics can actually see the doctor less often than that and still do all right. Good to know!

I should add that I want to stay accountable. Now at 17 years with Type 1 diabetes, I am doing lots of things to stay motivated for the long haul. I want to keep learning, keep tweaking, and as I said to my endo several weeks ago, "this old dog is learning new tricks." That said, I am fortunate to have an excellent endo and GP, both of whom are 100% on my team/my side.

Every 3 months

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service