Just wondering how many wear their glucose sensor 24/7 and what does your A1C run? Do you find your able to keep your A1C lower wearing your sensor all the time? And finally, what are your pros/cons in your daily life wearing your sensor all the time? Just curious.......

Views: 158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cannot imagine life without my CGM after having it so I def wear it 24/7. I cannot comment yet on the better A1C as I have only had it for a few months and my blood sugars have been running sky high from pregnancy hormones. LOVE LOVE LOVE my Dexcom tho!
I hope you're talking to your dietitian and endo about the sky-high BGs. For a healthy baby, you really need to get them down ASAP! Wishing for the best for you!
We love our son dex too. With teenager hormones, spontaneous summer activities and occasion fast food we are so better off with it. We put it where he's comfortable with it and he wears it 24/7. We get as much out of the each sensor as we can, not because of cost (thank you insurance) but less poking and if its working-dont mess with it. Haven't had an A1C done yet, actually he's due but couldn't get in til August, expect to see him in the 5s. This summer he's been cruising 60 - 120, flatlining a lot but having to watch for lows when he gest active. Had only a few terrible days where BSs didn't want to come down. Fast food was to blame. Our con; wearing the receiver which is kind of bulky, he's pump is the Omnipod so its the only thing on his belt. About not wearing in; I would be in complete anxiety and have him test like crazy. :)
I wear my MM CGM 24/7 and it has helped me tremendously. The biggest pro may be that it alerts me to overnight hypos and it has lowered my A1C from 6.5 to 5.6! The CGM is a great tool and if it is used correctly can be a big game changer. The live data (with a 15 minute lag) allows me to make much better decisions and accurately aim for a lower target BG.

The cons are an extra cost (my insurance covers 70-80% of it). The larger guage needle to introduce a new CGM sensor is no fun. And the biggest con is the extra time that you must put into yet another diabetes thing (its not that much time but its annoying). Extra time from inserting, calibrating, checking, verifying accuracy, double checking. Another con is the learning curve. It took me at leat 4 weeks to figure out how to best use the data my CGM was providing me.
I'm a little different- I wear mine every couple of weeks.
I get distracted-I wish I could let it record and then gather the info, but I'm not at that point yet, as I watch it all the time.

If it suggests by BG is good (which may or may not be totally accurate)-I find that I want to stick food in my mouth. I find that my blood sugar runs higher when I have the thing on--but I know it's me, because I eat.
I've had one for about 1 and a half years. Wear it most of the time. About the only time I don't wear it is when you have to change sensors and charge the transmitter battery. A1C is around 8 (needs improving but that is about as good as it's going to get) Got one because I've had trouble not recognizing when the blood sugar is getting low and that is not good. Not perfect by any stretch as varies between CGM and meter quite a bit at times. Had meter say 4(canadian system) and CGM 13 and vice-versa. Aside from the fact it's rather expensive-47.50/sensor, I suppose it helps. .
I did have an A1C of 5.9 once, but mostly it runs mid 6's, which is what it ran before the Dex. However, it gives me great peace of mind with the high and low alerts, and gives me warning before driving so I have time to return to normal. Since starting on the DexCom a year ago January I have had very few severe nighttime hypos, but they have been replaced by beeping that wakes me and hubby up, which is more than a fair trade off.
I'm 21 wks into my second pregnancy and my A1C is 6.5! I started my last pregnancy with an A1C of 8.6. I didn't have a CGM or the pump with my first pregnancy and my finger tips suffered tremendously in my struggle to maintain good BG. I also felt like a pin cushion from all the injections I had to do for corrections. I rely on my DEx to help me determine which foods mess me up the most and how to better calculate my extended boluses when I have cravings for fries or pasta so I don't get the spikes. Knowledge is power!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service