does any one know what THY AB (TPO) is?

Views: 474

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thyroid antibody. You were tested for Hashimoto's Disease. Are the numbers high?
ref. range is 0-8.9 and the result was 57.40. What exactly does that mean......
It means your antibodies are very high & your thyroid is under auto-immune attack. Sounds like you have Hashimoto's Disease & need thyroid supplementation.
Thanks for the info... go back to the doctor in October. Does this ever end??? Its just one thing after another.....
I hear you. I have Hashimoto's also. This is a wonderful site www.stopthethyroidmadness.com. Her book is also great.

You have a good doctor who actually tested this.
Yup. Thyroid antibody. Thyroperoxidase (TPO).
This is actually not for me but my daughter who was just diagnosed with type 1 about a month ago. She is 13. I am very glad he checked for this. I just asked when they got all the blood work back to fax me a copy and that was on there. I did not receive a phone call or anything so I suppose he will address this at our next appt in Oct. Bless her heart.
Insist that free T3 & free T4 tests be done. It's the definitive test for determing levels of different thyroid hormone levels. TSH test is useless. Most everyone is put on Synthroid for supplementation & it's not effective. Synthroid is T4 & doesnt contain T3. Go to the appt amed with the facts from www.stopthethyroidmadness.com so you'll know what she needs.
Synthroid is effective for many people, and the TSH test is adequate for many of us. I have been on Synthroid for 15 years and never once needed a dose change. My hypothyroidism was discovered during a routine annual check because of Type 1. I have never been symptomatic and Synthroid seems to be all I need. What my endo seems to think is important is how I feel. If I were symptomatic, she would ignore the ideal TSH scores (always between 1 and 2) and do more in depth testing. I've had Free T4 tested a couple of times and it's always been well within range. I've never had T3 tested; I think it's the more expensive test and I've never needed it.

You're right that some people need different meds than Synthroid and more testing that TSH. But many of us are doing just fine with the standard regimen.

I suppose the question is whether you do in-depth testing with every patient, or save it for patients who are not doing well with the standard tests and meds. I know that there are some people who feel that their thyroid is still a problem and struggle to get doctors to do the appropriate tests and prescribe the appropriate meds. I'm not quite sure why some people struggle to get regulated and others seem to have no problems at all.
The theory is that T4 converts to T3 so people only need T4, but this conversion doesn't always happen. Without testing free T3 to see if it's low (typically is), there's no way of kowing if someone is receiving the correct hormone & in the correct dose . An additional issue is that hypothyroid people may also have adrenal problems. Their T4 can show normal because it's in their blood, but the cells can't convert/uptake due to adrenal insufficiency (cortisol). Endocrine system is complex!

I don't know if free T3 is more expensive to test (I don't believe so) than free T4, but just that doctors don't bother. There are reputable labs where you can order your own thyroid panel (free T3, free T4 & TSH) for $130-$150.

These aren't expensive tests. No reason not to do a complete panel for anyone presenting with thyroid problems.

I have Hashimoto's & wasn't symptomatic. I didn't have the typical symptoms of fatigue, dry skin, weight problems, etc. My body temp was always low, though.
Thank you, I really appreciate all the great feedback. I hope to go in to the doctor armed with knowledge.......
I agree with Gerri, make sure she gets the FT4 and FT3 tested. A lot of doctors only look at TSH and that can really fluctuate so won't tell you anything. My TPO was over 3,000 with about the same range as your lab. FT4 was so low it wasn't registering a number but the stupid doctor I was seeing told me nothing was wrong with my thyroid because my TSH was within lab range. Needless to say, I had to change doctors to get treatment. STTM is a great site & I have learned a lot there.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service