We are evaluating an insurance plan that only covers HumuLIN® R, HumuLIN® R U-500 and NovoLIN® R.

I know there's some folks around who have used Humulin R U-500 (5x the concentration of U-100) on TuDiabetes, but has anyone around ever used Humulin R (U-100) on an insulin pump before? Can you please share your experience?

Thanks,

Tags: humulin

Views: 2272

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The main change between u-40 and u-100 insulins is that almost all u-40 insulins were/area animal based (bovine or porcine), and the u-100 are synthetic and created with the aid of genetically engineered bacteria or yeast.

That could also have a little to do with the change in "speed".. I don't know if animal insulins are faster, as I've never used any.
Hi. I would worry about corrections, since you really do need a fast acting insulin for them. Pens are a little less expensive than vials (I think), but for safety's sake you should probably always have something fast acting on hand.
Vials & syringes are cheaper than pens.
And intramuscular injections are faster still!
Most pump users moved from "Regular" (that's what the "R" means) to a fast acting analog (e.g. Humalog or Novolog) a decade ago.

Not that long ago the fast-acting analogs weren't available and all of us who have been at it for a while started off on Regular. Ooh, let me try to remember, Humalog came out in the late 90's, and pharmacies began regularly carrying it (as opposed to "special order") by 2000.

There's nothing wrong with using Regular in a pump (that's what was used before the fast acting analogs were available recently) but it's not as "quick" at corrections etc as that fast acting analogs and it may require more dosing-in-advance-of-a-meal and a different setting on the pump. It also has activity going a lot later (up to 6 hours) than the fast-acting analogs.

If you have a younger endo or recently-minted CDE, he/she may not be familiar with using Regular in a pump.

I'm sure there are some folks who started using a pump before Humalog was widely available and are still using Regular because they have all their timings etc. set up for Regular. But... most pump newbies are started out on Humalog or Novolog these days.

Regular is a LOT cheaper than humalog.
You had mentioned in an earlier post, Manny, you were considering Kaiser. Is this Kaiser that told you they only used Regular? I have heard of a type 2 friend at Kaiser who was put on NPH, but also have several women in my Type 1 group who are on Kaiser with pumps and I assume use one of the Rapids. Just wondering.
Yep. The Kaiser plan we received a quote for only covers HumuLIN® R, HumuLIN® R U-500 and NovoLIN® R.
I got a call form my endo today and he strongly advised against the use of HumuLIN's on a pump... so back to shopping for insurance options! :S
Yes, it didn't sound like a very good option to me either. I guess there are different levels of Kaiser plan, because I have heard several people on pumps who use Kaiser. Maybe it also depends on which Kaiser. I believe Melitta is on Kaiser. I guess when I get to the point of checking out Kaiser as a possibility I will have to look at the different plans, which I wasn't even aware existed, I just thought Kaiser was Kaiser. I have a little more flexibility because there is just me. Good luck with your insurance search!
I have used both U-100 and U-500 Regular.

U-100 is slower than the rapids, so pre-bolusing for meals is not optional, it's required, and it often can't match some foods as well as a rapid insulin can, but other than that it's pretty similar.

Pumping U-500 for me was horrible... I tried it because I have an allergy to one of the preservatives in all insulin, so I wanted to see if injecting 80% less volume made a difference.. and it did, but my #'s were just horrible.. I would have had to go beyond "low carb" to basically no carb to make it work for me... there was no way I could make boluses have any effect, and it was pretty typical to not see a change from a correction or bolus for at least 8-10 hours. That's asking a bit much in terms of pre-bolusing, even extending it out to an hour or 90 minutes before a meal seemed to make little difference.
hi Manny,

A LADA type diabetic [you are also as I recall?], diagnosed late in life, I switched to Humulin-R insulin,
the "synthetic" insulin, a year ago after spending several years continuing to feel very sick on the newer more
commonly prescribed "analog" insulins -- Apidra, Humalog and Novolog.
I figured I had nothing to lose by trying it and frankly
feel that Humulin-R [plus one small injection of Humulin-NPH daily] is saving my life.
Perhaps, Humulin will turn out to be a great help to you also.
In any case, it is available without Rx and inexpensive.
Very few, if any[?] endos anywhere prescribe it anymore, which makes your Kaiser story sound incredible.

When I started Humulin, for the first couple of months,
I kept my pump running basal with the analog insulin I was prescribed at the time.
Then worked in Humulin-R boluses one by one with pen injections 15-30 minutes before meals.
Eventually, I ditched the analog insulin altogether and switched over to Humulin-R in the
pump for both basal and bolus. I am very happy with the Humulin-R as basal as well.

Most difficult for me [still] is the additional planning involved in bolusing 20 to 30 minutes before eating.

Reintroducing brown rice into my diet also seems to be working well with the "Humulin" metabolism.
When Humulin was invented in the early 1970's, brown rice was BIG.

I exercise daily and haven't found a significant difference with Humulin as far as preparing
by either adding carbs, reducing bolus, suspending the pump or all of the above.

Ask me any other questions you think I might be able to inform you about.
All my best,

Tess
Thanks for this post Manny. The replies help with a question I posted this morning: Hello all. Recently lost insurance due to a period of unemployment (occupational hazard for a construction electrician) and went shopping for insulin. I've used Novolog in my Medtronic MiniMed since I started using the pump but used Humulin R & N prior to the pump. I was VERY suprised to find that the cost of Novolog was $118 per 10ml vial vs $24 for Humulin. Does anyone out there currently use Humulin R in their pump? Can anyone give me first hand comparisons on their own experience with both types of insulin via an insulin pump? Does anyone know of lower cost, but legitimate, sources for Novolog?

Danny
CANADA Several online canadian pharmacies - wheenI but out of pocket i get it t here about 35 to 40 a vial for humalog

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service