There was a recent post recently that went something like this
Are Diabetics Hyperchondiacs ?
I replied, probably not, in that Diabetics just really watch their health

I think the question really more about 'Cyberchondriacs'......

Read on ......

Number of 'Cyberchondriacs' On the Rise

(HealthScout) UPDATED 2010-08-04
Results from a new poll suggest that the number of so-called "cyberchondriacs" has risen from 154 million people in 2009 to 175 million people in 2010. The term "cyberchondriac" refers to those who use the Internet to look for health-related information. The survey also found that people who look up health information online are doing so more frequently, with 32 percent of adults online saying they search for health information "often," compared to 22 percent last year. Experts say the health care reform debate may be one reason for the jump in the number of cyberchondriacs. 
Read full story >

http://www.healthcentral.com/rheumatoid-arthritis/news-532212-98.ht...

Views: 34

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think we're either. If we do research health problems online it's typically related to our diabetes. Hypochondriacs look for conditions they don't have and try to link their littlest ache, pain ,or symptom to it. When I think of hypochondriacs it makes me think of people with Munchhausen's syndrome. I was kinda annoyed about the posts on diabetics and hypochondriacs because if there is some one coming on here looking up info that isn't diabetic it makes it sound like some of our problems are just in our head. I have met people over the past 2 decades that thought it'd just in my head or i'm over reacting about not eating certain things ,etc. and posts about diabetics possibly being hypochondriacs don't help our argument that it's not in our heads.
I'm with you.
Its a matter of life and death.

I had my best friend go into hospital last night.
He had 2 cataract surgery ops, one last week, and one another 2 days ago.

Last night he wasn't feeling well after thissecond operation.
He admitted himself back to hospital last night.
This morning they said he may have had a stroke. They are doing MRI scans as we speak.

My friend is a T1 from 2 years old, and is now nearly 50 years old.
He has always tried to inform himself about diabetes over the years.
HYPERCHONDRIAC NOT !!

PS If your wondering, this is not the same friend I mentioned in my post last week in which I said she had a leg amputated. She is another friend, 75 years old and also has had diabetes for 50 years. She is doing ok.
Oh I hope your friend is o.k. At least he had the sense to re-admit himself to get help. I have been T1 since i was 2 as well.I'm now 24. I think it is important that as people with a chronic illness do all the research we can because as many have said, we are our best advocates, and it's hard to advocate for your self with out knowing what you are talking about.
Thanks Crystal.
Glad to report yes, my friend was feeling bad etc, but following CT scans and MRI scan no stroke!

michael
On the side :

Oh , my about your friend , who had cataract surgery ( 2 within one week ??) ...for me it took 6 weeks in between to have second one ..and I know a few folks with same time span ....would it have been too soon OR is this the norm where you live ?
I pray he will be well .
thanks nel.
i dont know if its the norm.
hopefully they didnt uncessarily rush him, esp with him having db
ps im in australia, and as i said, i cant really say if its the norm (or they just rushed him)?

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service