I started work about 6 months ago ,I was not going to tell anyone about y D but I had a low and had too .From that day if they see me eat something they tell me I don't need that ,if I don't eat a lot they say I need to eat more .one person even told me I neede to go to some diabetic classes ! LOL I wanted to say something but I was taught not to be disrespectful !
Their favorite line is I know someone with diabetes and..........
I wish they had never found out it !!! Does this drive y'all crazy ?

Views: 481

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow you're good. Reading this I already hear the smart a*! in me replying to that one. " If you do manage to "catch" diabetes I'd love to see you throw it at this yahoo." LOL, I have very bad thoughts sometimes.

Yep, it's a good idea to keep guns away from me, too. I can be very patient for a very, very long time and then when I've had exactly ENOUGH I can have a very sharp tongue.

Nothing good would come of arming me when I'm at my breaking point!!!

Are you listening, diet police? LOL The next stranger who sidles up to me at a social gathering and starts whispering to me about their father's cousin's wife who lost a hundred pounds juggling gogi berries and bathing in cabbage broth should be VERY grateful that I'm not packing any heat.

Oh, I hate it when people say things like that!! The ignorance out there just astounds me. I also hate it when, upon informing someone that I have type 1, they say, "Oh, so you have the bad kind of diabetes." Grrrrr.

Oh yikes! I am sorry. As if having D isn't hard enough. I've had to opposite problem where it seems like most people don't have a clue. Which kind of scares me when it comes to hypo episodes. One time I was talking with some people who knew I had D and I started having a hard time getting my thoughts across and jokingly some one said, "uh, oh give her a shot of insulin." NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Of course then again I think it would be a pretty painless way to go. :) My husband will give me grief now and again, but I let him since that's good for our marriage. And most of the time he's right. (even though I hate to admit it). I haven't had type 1 diabetes for very long so maybe I've yet to run into these problems.

Nice! Yeah, a woman from housekeeping was cleaning my office last week and told me she that it was the worst day of her life because she was diagnosed with diabetes. She knows that I have diabetes (Strike 1). I humored her for a while and asked her what medication they prescribed and she said she didn't even know she let her daughter right it down, but it was some kind of pill (Strike 2). I told her to read up on it learn about carb counting and get as much info from her doc as possible. The she asks me " You have the bad kind because you have to take shots right?" (Strike 3) I said, "They’re both bad, if you'll excuse me I need to make a call." I proceeded to check my voicemail knowing there were no messages. LOL

I love it LadyD! I'm going to remember that move...checking the voicemail. I must admit I've used the pretending to talk to someone on the cellphone move before to avoid someone. Works like a charm every time! :)

Diabetes Burnout by Polonsky is a good read. I find it helpful. It explains how to overcome obstacles that get in the way of good diabetes control. I recommend it. It helps for those people who have to deal with the nagging people around them, as well as the people who don't care about your condition.

Just wait until your mother in law starts to do it. If you want to get irritated, there is no better way !
Even my 7 year old daughter makes comments sometimes,
I think it is how many people deal with their own anxiety about it.
You can always tell the person who made a comment something about his or her own eating habits.
Like wow your eating that and you are already fat??? " Or" really you look sickly enough without doing that"
Give them a little of their own medicine I think it would work although I have never implemented it myself.

Well I can see that we not only have to deal with the big D but this too . Well at least I am not by myself LOL
Oh it was not the carbs in the brownie it was the point taht they tell me what I can and can not have when they are giving out samples of stuff .
I like the line in the video that said there is 2 things I cant eat "poison and food made with poison " that is one I will be using . also like'the person you know probably has type 2 I have type 1 totally different problem thanks though" LOL thanks again guys !!!!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service