I'm completely confused. In November, my brother left the hospital emergency room and he died shortly after in his bed. As they could find no other cause they are saying it must have been diabetes.
I saw my doctor before Christmas and I told him about this. He was clear that my brother "must have had a different type of diabetes". Really? Until June we were both prescribed the same meds which simply did not work. Of course, we were both pushed and pushed with the diet and exercise stuff as well. Even now... the doctor's advice to me is lose more weight and get more exercise.
I weigh 130 right now and get plenty of exercise. I have just recovered from neuropathy and diabetes-related infections in my legs. The way I was able to accomplish this was to stop taking the drugs that were causing my numbers to go sky high. I was pleased that he at least gave me B12. I can't change doctors because this is the guy who took the non-compliant off my record, supported me when I stopped the sulfs and was the first to prescribe test strips. Following the advice on here really helped but managing my numbers is a constant battle. How can he tell me that I have "just a little bit of diabetes"? He did promise me insulin if the numbers went up again but, now that he has built his new practice, he has forgotten that and is just like all the others...pills, diet, exercise.
So now that I'm clinically depressed... I know this because it is familiar and always triggered by grief... I'm afraid I will lash out or burst into tears at my appointment next week. I just want to scream that the only test for pancreatic function of T2s in this country is death!! I hope that posting this on here will prevent me from saying these things to the doctor on Thursday. I want to stay quiet get my prescriptions for Metformin and test strips and get the h out of there.

Thanks to anyone who listened to my vent.
Joanne

Views: 1556

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Robyn. I'm glad you were able to find a good doctor. I have not been on TuD much lately. How did you manage with your eye surgery?

Thanks Consume Jan. Your suggestion is excellent. I will carry your name in my pocket tomorrow. We have talked before and I know that we both took the same drug and that you had a more serious reaction than I did. You helped me so much to decide not to keep taking it. Thanks so much. ((HUGS))

Hi Peetie , have you considered filing a complaint with the Canadian Medical Association about the advice etc. you received from GP ?? http://www.cma.ca/
And Doctors don't receive much Nutritional Services training while in Med School ...less than one day ??? I recall my GP ...PS I liked the person , when I was diagnosed ( 1983 ) saying to eat 1400 cal ...I met with the Dietitian and we figured I was eating and needing because of the " movements( called exercise ) " I was doing daily 2100 cal ..at 139 lbs

Perhaps bursting into tears would be productive.

Depression is a natural response to feeling ignored & hopeless. You know what is said--depression is anger turned inward. Finding another doctor would help with utter frustration & anger. Taking positive action also helps lift the dark cloud. Terrible & unfair that we have to fight for our lives getting what we need. Doing battle is no fun.

Appalling & unconscionable often how people are misdiagnosed & how reluctant doctors are to prescribe insulin when it's clearly indicated. They don't want to take the time to educate about insulin & risk liability. Better we should die.

Good friend of mine said today the major cause of depression for diabetics is our doctors. I laughed when he said that, but believe it's true.

After my last appointment, I sat in my car sobbing. I was so livid that the tears wouldn't stop. Rage! Know how you feel beating your head against a closed mind.

Gerri, I so appreciate you sharing that. Sometimes when I leave the doctor's office I feel like I'm totally out of step with the rest of the world. Even though I KNOW - because my body keeps me well-informed - that he's wrong.

So sorry you've felt the same, Jan. We're listening to our bodies & know. Our doctors aren't listening to us & taking us seriously.

Hi Gerri. So sorry to hear that you had that experience. I can't believe how hard it is to get respectful care these days. So good that we are all here to support one another. ((HUG))

Wishing you good luck for tomorrow's appointment. Please let us know how it goes. Dreadful to feel defeated by doctors. I'm trying to save up money to have my own tests done. Ridiculous, but I've accepted that my doctor is blocking my way to health.

Hugs back!

Thanks Gerri. It was better than I had expected.

Glad to hear this!

Sorry to hear about your brother.

One thing for sure this is the best place to vent. Is the doctor you are going to now an endo or family doctor? If you are not going to an endo it would be in your best interest to go to one to give yourself the best possible healthcare you can get. For me I just changed to an endo a few months ago and she found out I was T1 instead of T2 by doing some blood work.

Wish the Best.

I'm very sorry about your brother. Just having diabetes doesn't mean you are going to have complications. But keeping bgs higher than 140 will definitely lead you to complications. What meds were you and your brother both on. Many times doctors are not as aggressive with Type 2 diabetes as they are with Type 1 diabetes. But both types can get complications. I know doctors think if type 2's lose weight they have nothing to worry about, but that is not always the case. If your bgs are too high you will lose weight and that is not good weight loss. Can you give us an idea of your HbA1c and average daily bgs. Also diet is very important in bg control. What type of diet do you use to maintain good bgs?

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service