I'm completely confused. In November, my brother left the hospital emergency room and he died shortly after in his bed. As they could find no other cause they are saying it must have been diabetes.
I saw my doctor before Christmas and I told him about this. He was clear that my brother "must have had a different type of diabetes". Really? Until June we were both prescribed the same meds which simply did not work. Of course, we were both pushed and pushed with the diet and exercise stuff as well. Even now... the doctor's advice to me is lose more weight and get more exercise.
I weigh 130 right now and get plenty of exercise. I have just recovered from neuropathy and diabetes-related infections in my legs. The way I was able to accomplish this was to stop taking the drugs that were causing my numbers to go sky high. I was pleased that he at least gave me B12. I can't change doctors because this is the guy who took the non-compliant off my record, supported me when I stopped the sulfs and was the first to prescribe test strips. Following the advice on here really helped but managing my numbers is a constant battle. How can he tell me that I have "just a little bit of diabetes"? He did promise me insulin if the numbers went up again but, now that he has built his new practice, he has forgotten that and is just like all the others...pills, diet, exercise.
So now that I'm clinically depressed... I know this because it is familiar and always triggered by grief... I'm afraid I will lash out or burst into tears at my appointment next week. I just want to scream that the only test for pancreatic function of T2s in this country is death!! I hope that posting this on here will prevent me from saying these things to the doctor on Thursday. I want to stay quiet get my prescriptions for Metformin and test strips and get the h out of there.

Thanks to anyone who listened to my vent.
Joanne

Views: 1551

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For someone in such a good position to further reverse her diabetic condition, insulin is not a good choice at all. I've had D for 31 years and in 1986 my current endo told me that it is expected that a T1 will become totally dependent within 5 years. I memorized that because it was 5 years after my diagnosis. I've read that T2s average 15 years before being totally dependent on insulin. That's because they start with Diet+Exercise first, then move to drugs, then finally add in insulin. The majority of doctors don't know how to use supplements because they never learned. Some wise ones have figured it out on their own even without naturopathic training. So notice that once you give a T2 insulin, the 5 years to total dependency most likely also applies.

I sense the doctor is wiser than he has the time to communicate. I see hope. It takes a long time for doctors to understand new patients, so I wouldn't recommend looking for another doctor at this point. She is doing just what I do with my endo...use his services for blood tests, and plan the right strategy oneself.
Some doctors like a highly motivated patient because it makes their job easier.

Hi Janina. Thanks. I'm not sure that I can reverse the diabetes because I have no real idea why my numbers are high. My hope is that I can reverse the damage I experienced while on that drug ie neuropathy etc. If, as BSC and others have said, it is possible that the drug burned out the cells, the only faint hope is the Joslin study posted by Richard 157 that shows that even some longterm Type 1s can have cell regeneration. You are right, the doctor is okay. I'll stick with the trainer for now. Cheers! Joanne

Congratulations on getting an endo to do the right tests. That is why I read books written by doctors who really know. So I use my endo more as a place to get my biannual blood tests and he asks me what I want on the requisition. He knows I research everything. I'm lucky my endo is also a diabetic, but he still does NOT understand my emphasis on supplements. He just looks at the cholesterol numbers and is amazed. I can even stop the VitC to get really bad numbers too. He gleefully said "I know what you're going to say, but I think you need to be on a statin" I laughed and said no way, it's only because I was off VitC for three weeks. I went back on it and the next time was back to normal. If I had a problem for years I would not have ideal blood pressure without medication. Basically, if naturopaths were paid for up here I would go to one of those. Instead I read their books and apply their knowledge and my endo doesn't understand it.

My endo says antibody tests are pointless now after 30 years, but I'm curious, so I might get them done through my other doctor.

Patients who take the upper hand do better because they research more. Those who expect their doctors to teach them everything fare the worst as little can be covered in 20 minute friendly visits in which you look at results and check a few things like blood pressure and eyes. There is the EGO some doctors have where they might think they are dispensing all the knowledge. Now with the Internet that isn't true any more. Some say it makes their life easier and others say their patients are being misled.

What bothers me the most is when they say something isn't important when that is a cover for "don't ask me about something I don't know anything about." I once asked if there were tests for antibodies to analogue insulins. He said NO. But I better go looking and see if they exist in experimental research hospitals because one thing is for sure and that is that large injections are partially destroyed, some just gets lost in the fat that Dr Oz says contributes to insensitivity, and some is due to people not eating loads of vegetables and getting enough chromium to act as a cofactor for insulin. And some people are avoiding red meat as if it were the plague because so many people seem to think it is, but that means they are likely highly deficient in B vitamins especially if they drink alcohol as that depletes Bvits. People on blood pressure lowering meds lose magnesium and other nutrients as the kidney forces water out and doesn't stop to selectively retain nutrients that it would do on it's own. Is it any surprise that people get kidney disease and liver disease with the medical community's emphasis on drugs?

here's a book I enjoyed reading...

What Your Doctor Doesn't Know About Nutritional Medicine May Be Killing You [Paperback]

Ray D. Strand M.D. (Author)

4.6 out of 5 stars (46 customer reviews)

Here's another on. the topic...

Death By Prescription: The Shocking Truth Behind an Overmedicated Nation [Paperback]
Ray D. Strand M.D. (Author)
4.9 out of 5 stars See all reviews (7 customer reviews)

What this tells you is that death is so common they try to get around it and that is what they are doing with you now. It is why they delay the toxicology reports by 9 months.

You have to tell me which drug it is so I can see if there is a class action law suit already. What you don't want to do is have to hire a lawyer on your own, which I would not recommend as you would be stressed out just thinking about how much it costs. Lawyers charge hundreds for an hour and THEY DRAG IT OUT.

Thanks for your input Janina. It's very helpful. The drug we took was diamicron. It is currently the flavour of the day. There are no class action law suits yet. It is really frightening that there are class action suits for both Avandia and Actos. The constant advertising for presciption drugs listing side effects that are worse than the condition they have been created to treat is nuts. Apparently doctors will weigh the risks and benefits but they clearly do not have the time.

Wow Janina. EndocrineToday.com just posted an article by Alan J Garber MD called "Out with the new, in with the old". It warns of the dangers of Diamicron aka gliclazide, glipizide. He states that there is a high rate of hypoglycemia, tripling of mortality, and major adverse coronary events. I'm going to try to post the link for you. No luck.

I've read the article and it's not possible to assess how serious "tripling" is because the comparison is not mentioned, nor the time frame, but he likes that it sounds scary. He is making a point to his colleagues that looking at the riskiness of odd cases is not as important as the trends for the majority as they are costing the system resources in the Emergency Department. Have you had problems with scary lows? I liked your reference to it being the flavour of the day...touche!!

I am not really a fan of the class of drugs know as sulfonylureas which includes Diamicron and these others. While there are certainly more serious side effects and complications, the real problem is that all the data I have seen suggests that they don't have good long-term outcomes. The well respected researcher Ralph Defronzo shows data on studies of these drugs which suggest that they fail within 1-4 years. Namely even with the drug, your blood sugar is back to worse than when you started within 1-4 years.

That is not a durable medication and supports the contention that the drugs just burn out your pancreas. Most of us have many years left in our lives. It seems just bad medicine to choose the cheapest drug (actually metformin is just as cheap) knowing that it has serious side effects and complications and will accelerate (rather than halt) the progression of diabetes.

I steadfastly refused these drugs and never encountered a doctor who could counter my arguments.

Hi BSC. Thank you so much for providing the link. I'm not sure if you remember but, when I first arrived here, you were one of the ones who gave me the courage to stop taking the diamicron despite the threats I was getting from the endo. I'm so much better and I will always be thankful to you and others here on TuD who helped me to weather the storm. Please keep educating everyone.
Like you, my brother was diagnosed at a young age. When his daughter phoned his doctor for answers, she was told, "It's sad but I'm not surprised. In 18 years HE never managed to get his bloodsugar under control". She also told her that he had the "mistaken notion" that he he would be better if he was able to match food to insulin. We were fighting this but...

I am very sorry for your loss and the frustration with the drs. I think drs often think that if you're BS doesn't get better then it must be you failing to do something, not that your body is failing to work correctly.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes and Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service