I'm completely confused. In November, my brother left the hospital emergency room and he died shortly after in his bed. As they could find no other cause they are saying it must have been diabetes.
I saw my doctor before Christmas and I told him about this. He was clear that my brother "must have had a different type of diabetes". Really? Until June we were both prescribed the same meds which simply did not work. Of course, we were both pushed and pushed with the diet and exercise stuff as well. Even now... the doctor's advice to me is lose more weight and get more exercise.
I weigh 130 right now and get plenty of exercise. I have just recovered from neuropathy and diabetes-related infections in my legs. The way I was able to accomplish this was to stop taking the drugs that were causing my numbers to go sky high. I was pleased that he at least gave me B12. I can't change doctors because this is the guy who took the non-compliant off my record, supported me when I stopped the sulfs and was the first to prescribe test strips. Following the advice on here really helped but managing my numbers is a constant battle. How can he tell me that I have "just a little bit of diabetes"? He did promise me insulin if the numbers went up again but, now that he has built his new practice, he has forgotten that and is just like all the others...pills, diet, exercise.
So now that I'm clinically depressed... I know this because it is familiar and always triggered by grief... I'm afraid I will lash out or burst into tears at my appointment next week. I just want to scream that the only test for pancreatic function of T2s in this country is death!! I hope that posting this on here will prevent me from saying these things to the doctor on Thursday. I want to stay quiet get my prescriptions for Metformin and test strips and get the h out of there.

Thanks to anyone who listened to my vent.
Joanne

Views: 1543

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jeannie. Thanks you for responding. The drug we were taking at the time were Metformin and Diamicron (glipizide, gliclazide). I was able to get the A1C down from 10.1 to 6.3 almost as soon as I stopped it. My brother who had been taking many other drugs throughout the years, did not have the same result. Actually, none of the drugs he was prescribed over 18 years had any effect. I'm glad you mentioned the weight loss as my brother insisted that his recent weight loss was not by choice...and yes...he was also told to lose more. I do low carb. I really feel guilty that I was able to get better because I was diagnosed later in life and was able to learn from the mistakes made with my brother.

Hi Uniboy. So good to hear that you finally got a proper diagnosis. I did see an endo and he was the one who ignored the neuropathy and infections. I don't think I'm T1 and I doubt a doctor or endo here will order any tests.

Iam so sorry ,living w/ a chronic illnes is a noted as extreme to moderate stressor. I find drs forget what they said they would do often. I think today you have to cooperate w/ them but they gotta cooperate w/ you but here in my area most specailists have caseloads of over 800. Sounds as if your doc is having those issues. I now know you gotta shop around just like you would for a car or contractor.It sounds as if your guy is not listening. I am so sorry about the loss of your brother . I cant imagine how scared you would be dealing w/ the same issues and getting no help. I would definitely push the issue of insulin and look for a new endocronologist.

Thanks so much Maggie. It's so good to be able to have listeners who understand.

Thanks for always being there Judith. ((HUG))

im really scared to have surgury now....

I'm so sorry that I scared you Anna. I'm from Canada but I'm pretty sure that the hospitals in the US have really good protocols for treating T1s. I hope you do well with your surgery. ((HUG)) Joanne

thanks and its ok. i was already scared. i have surgury on my foot on febuary 7

Anna, your profile says that you have a pump. When I had surgery my doctor left the order that I was to manage my own diabetes with my pump. Everyone let me make my own decisions (which was basically to just let my basal handle it), and I did fine. Judith, Anna, speak to your doctors! They are the key to successfully managing the surgery and follow-up.

i had suugry one other time when i had diabetes but it wasnt as serious of a surgury then this one will be. the lst one they had to remove a sight change needle from my foot cuz i stepped on one

Thanks to everyone who listened to my vent. I made it through the appointment without losing it. My A1C has gone up again from 6.3 to 7.4. Hopefully it's just the stress.

Were you and I at the Doc at the same time....miles apart :)??
Glad you did not " loose it " Peetie .But have the both of you discussed any different treatment after Doc told you the A1C result ?

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service