Went out to eat, had Mexican with yummy refried beans and rice...guestimated around 70 carbs, tried out my dual wave bolus...and damnit if Im NOT down to 46...grrrrr well at least Im not chasing a high all night from a carb heavy meal. But STILL.

Views: 314

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I usually use 90 or 95 for my "guess" number if I'm not sure. Sometimes I'll hedge my bets by cranking the basal up to 200% too, just in case. If I have an emergency, a margarita will cure a hypo or three...

hahahahah oh I LOVE it....yes nothing like a good margarita to cure a hypo or 3.

I still think that it's more that it's hard to estimate exactly how many 1/2 C of beans are in the pile glopped onto your platter. One of my weight loss strategies was to get the "taco platter" and just eat the tacos, dump a ton of salsa onto the rice and beans and stir it up and take it home. Still sort of a mathematical conundrum but I found it would turn a "side order" into a couple days of breakfast/ lunch/ dinner. Salsa may be another hidden culprit as I am always dumping salsa on everything, as if it were free. It's probably relatively free but, if you are going crazy, there's probably 10ish carbs in there? I don't even know about guacamole...

Oh I don't do Salsa, lol Im weird I dont really like tomatoes. Especially raw like tomatoes. If they are cooked into something like chili or sphaghetti sauce I can eat them, but not raw.

But we have this wonderful "white" sauce they serve that I just love. The sauce probably isnt too horribly high in carbs, but those corn chips will get me. I won't have any self control to just eat a couple. Haha.

I agree especially where you have to estimate how many "servings" of something is slopped on your plate. I'm sure that is where I mess up at all the time, and either seriously end up underestimating or over estimating what I am eating. Boy that carb heavy meal sure did come back later though, hahaha about an hour ago got up for breaky and was 161, lol really ...I was trucking along nicely at 102 finally when I went to bed. Either that or um hehehe I'm trying to push the insulin in my reservoir a little past day 3....probably needs to be changed. I have the small reservoir and still manage to have insulin left over in it when its time to change it out. Still over 40 units left.

The only restaurants I do well at are the chain ones that have nutritional info online. Still not perfect, but it generally goes fairly well, especially if I stick to lower-carb items. Panera, Corner Bakery, and iHOP are a few of my favorites. When I'm some place that doesn't have nutritional info, I stick to just really low carb things like salads. Always stay away from rice, bread, and pasta.

I count calories ALWAYS b/f carbs! LOL! Still converting here I was raised on counting calories and it still is in my mind then the carbs! LOL!

So how do you convert that into a ratio for a shot? I had always ignored calories and just counted carbs and "tossed in" 5-15 extra if there was a big slab of meat involved. I got this app (MrsAcidRock discovered it for me actually...) called Lose It! that tracks calories in/ out with an idea of losing weight, not a huge goal but fun to play around with and the app is *extremely* fun and also very informative "I'll toss this leftover steak into my omlette" *blam* 150 calories! eek!

I'm pumping now and that makes it MUCH easier. I do a gustement too on that. LOL! Back in the 70's when I became a diabetic it was count ur calories and weigh ur food. Then after sometime in the 80's I think it was it was count ur carbs in ur food. WOW how things have changed since then if I'm not mistaken (atleast the way I do it) I go through the calorie counting and then count the carbs I don't try to convert them (not that mentally intelligant LOL) It's just that I usually wind up double counting my foods everytime! LOL!

I remember calorie counting too, lol. Was never any good with that at all.

I'm honestly better at calorie counting than carb counting. LOL!

LOL. I never could do the calorie thing, I mean I was either always STARVING, or it was too much food.

I went to Barnes and Noble and bought the paperbacl latest edition of The Calorie King'a Calorie,Fat and Carbohydrate counter it lists every food known to man. fast foods frozen foods> I paid $8.95 I would not be without it,

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service