Hi all. I'm here to see if I can get any wisdom from those of you who have had diabetes longer than me. I was diagnosed about 2 months ago and I've gathered from other posts that people here are all over the spectrum as far as how long they've had it. It may be helpful to a lot of others like myself who are just starting out to hear from some of you veterans out there. More specifically; Is there anything you wish you had or had known up front that would've helped you in the long haul either with management or with your health? Is there anything you wish you had done or started doing right away that would've helped your health and management or prevented any complications?

To be clear, this isn't the thread to say "I wish I had never gotten this" or bemoan your diabetic state. So please, keep things positive here! Hoping to find some great insight and learn from others!

Views: 1801

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I knew there was something else! Alcohol can cause lows quickly. Have something in your stomach when you drink. It can cause you to go low temporarily then go high later say after you go to bed. There are apps for iPhone which are helpful for crab counting, funny I mean carb ctg. I guess that's all. Good luck. It's a pain. But do-able.

Thanks for leaving your typo for us, Molly! It made me laugh!

marty1492

Yeah, I'm seeing that this is a pain and nuisance. However, you're absolutely right when you say it's better than dying from cancer. Heck, it's better than dying from diabetes too! Before I was dx I had narrowed my condition down to 3 things. 1. Tapeworm (weight loss and fatigue), 2. Diabetes and 3. Cancer. Strange as it may sound I was hoping for the worm! Oh well! Thanks for the tips and typo. I'm not a drinker at all really. Actually, trying to find a red wine I can stand to drink since the doc says it helps with the cholesterol! Lemme know if you know any good ones.

The usual Merlot ...could be the restaurant's House wine ?? ...I had Red Rooster ( from the Canadian Okanagan wine country yesterday ) ...a bit of advertizing here to visit our part of Canada , ah , ha ) http://www.redroosterwinery.com/ and also my last name before the present Peach name was Rooster ...another story !

I'm sorry, but I can't stop laughing about the tapeworm idea. Incidentally, they don't cause weight loss unless you have a crapton of them. Yes, a crapton. Lol.

Yeah, I knew they didn't typically cause weight loss, but hey the worm was a better option than this or cancer! And crapton... I see what you did there! =]

I like Syrah's. Petite Syrah's are even better.

One thing that has really helped me is to reach out to others with the same disease and to learn as much as possible. It probably would have helped me to do this sooner. Since you made your way here, I think you probably have that covered. JDRF has a mentor program where they will match you with a mentor that has a similar experience to you. It is nice to have that point person that you can call at any time with questions on how they handle certain things. Contact your local JDRF chapter if you are interested.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service