This is what my internest said to me today.

I've been overweight pretty much my whole life. I'm 35 now & about 60lbs overweight. I was pre-diabetic. Got pregnant & was put on insulin right away. COntroled beautifuly throughout my pregnancy. Had a healthy baby 7lbs when she was born. A year later my A1C went from 6 - 12. That was off insulin & on no meds or diet.

Doctor put me on metformin. Didn't really help. Upped the dose. Still didn't help enough. So I went to an endo. She put me on insulin and kept me on the metformin. Got my A1C down to 8 from 10 in 6 weeks.

I just saw my internest today & he says I shouldn't be on the insulin yet. I should just lose the weight & I can reverse this all. I don't completly agree. Even the diabetes educator I saw said that I should be on insulin because the meds wheren't working.

What does everyone think? I know I need to loose weight. Thats a given. I'm down 10lbs from last year. I've got another 60 to go to be considered at my ideal weight. The thought of loosing it overwhelms me.

Views: 3414

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm glad that has worked for you. I know you have kept a strict diet and exercise regime for quite some time and still had high fasting numbers. It may be that the recovery from the statin fiasco triggered something, it may have been organic or the wheat. Whatever it was that worked, you just have to be happy with the results. I know that I try to choose certain foods as organic where it makes a difference. Organic fresh greens, that makes a huge difference. Organic coffee, I don't thnk so.

Someday, when I grow up, I hope I can finally achieve a fasting in the 80s.
Wow, Jeannie. Congratulations on your success & your discipline.
Losing weight may or may not reverse your Type 2 diabetes, but it WILL reverse your weight gain. And that's a good thing, if you're overweight.

Terry
Is that something Yogi Berra said? Here are some more:

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true.

I never said most of the things I said.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.
HA I love it. Yes you are so right.
I reversed mine,losing weight does help,changing your diet helps,but then again changing your diet will make you lose weight.It is hard to lose weight while on medication because who have to eat carbs to keep sugar up.
All diabetics little different,my a1c got down to 5.2 so i stop medicine mybs stopped getting to low.I still have to be careful what i eat which is not easy.Try to get a1c down,took me three yrs to decide to change.
when i came down 15 years ago with diabetes they tried me on pills and more pills nothing would work
i was 35 years old and skinny about a year into haveing it they put me on insulin tried lantus went from
7 reading to 9 and gained about 35 pounds . now i had this doctor try me on 70/30 human i can see that i am
losing some weight but i really work hard now i put myself on a cabbage soup diet for awhile hope to lose alot of
weight. in the middle of it all this other new doctor looked at me and said if you lose weight , that's when i got up and
never went back to him again .( i thought that was not called for)
what has your readings been lately, have they been between 180-200, not good there, I understand 70 is normal, im well overweight myself im 6'1 330 pounds, my readings are between 140-160, i need to work on bringing it down more. Good luck, but once I hear that once you are on insulin you stay on insulin. good luck anyways.
Here's what I do to keep glucose levels down.

There are 4 key steps to controlling glucose levels :

1) EXERCISE- Walking is fine but Nordic Walking is Great. Exercise also lowers Glucose levels , lowers Cholesterol and lowers Blood Pressure. Google it.Exercise is Non-Negotiable !!!Thats why it is Number 1 on the list.
2) Knowledge- http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/index.ph… This is a great site for info
3) Meds. Metformin to start. Never , ever take Actos or Avandia. They may kill you. Bone fractures, heart problems and what diabetics really don't need is that they change Bone Stem Cells to Fat Cells.Also never ever take Onglyza or Januvia . They can can inhibit the bodys immune system and let cancer spread.
4) Diet- A low carb diet is in order. I can't count carbs so I use Mendosa's Glycemic Index Diet. Great for the whole family. http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

I have lost over 70 pounds and my HBA1C is 5.2.
Only thing is , it take Attitude and dedication. Which only a few diabetics possess.
So if you can muster up what needs to be done , then I think you can reverse or at least get into great glucose numbers.
Remember , I said reversed not Cured !!!You will have diabetes for life.
Get your waist size down to 1/2 your height. Thats measured at the bellybutton.

Take care
Sonny
*Update* I saw my endo & my latest A1C 6.5 Thats with metformin & insulin. Very happy with this.

I asked her her opinion on the weight issue. She said obviously if you loose weight you will have better, BS, cholesterol, BP, etc etc. She said most people know this. The reason she doesn't harp on it is because she want's to get the sugars in control NOW not when you are able to loose weight. She said she realizes it's a constant struggle for some & to expect them to loose weight in enough time to combat the damage is fleeting. So she'd rather get our sugars in control 1st. Since she was able to help me get my sugars down from a 10 - 6.5 in 5 months I'd say she's doing pretty good.

She also said she suggest I never see this other doctor again. That it sounds like he doesn't have any positive feedback to give me. She couldn't believe some of the things he said. Neither could I.
Way to go, that is outstanding progress. This last week, I canceled my appointment with my endo, who told me every visit that I was fat and that I would get better if I just lost weight. As you, and many others here recognize, we have less than desirable blood sugar control because we have diabetes, not because we are fat. There are lots of things that can help our blood sugar control, losing bodyfat, increasing muscle, and diet changes, but this doesn't change the underlaying problem.

I think your endo sounds like a winner, I hope I can find a good one, the search continues.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service