I just read this in a diabetes article and wonder what it means, to "increase your bolus ratios". Does it have a specific meaning to everyone? What does it mean to you?
Does it mean that if I have a 1 unit to 5 carb grams ratio that I increase it to 1 unit to 3 carb grams?
Or does it mean that I change it to 1 unit to 8 carb grams (for example)? To "increase a bolus ratio" seems somewhat confusing to me.

Tags: carb, gram, insulin:carb, ratio

Views: 145

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think it's a very clear phrase, either, Leo. I could see that it would be going to 1 to 8, because then your covering more carbs than you would before. Or it could mean the complete opposite - you're increasing your insulin when you use 1 unit for every 3 carbs. No, not clear to me!

I would think that it means take more insulin/ carb. To me, "up" means "more power Chewie...".

Is the meaning discernible from the context?

I agree w/ AR. I would think it means you want to "up" the amount of insulin you take (and getting closer to a true 1:1 ratio would be "increasing" in my book, b/c we know a 1/1 number is bigger than a 1/8...it's 8 times smaller). So in your example, if you typically take 1 u per 5 g carbs, I would think "upping your bolus ratio" means you would take 1 u for every 3 g of carbs, which would give you more insulin (an "upped" bolus) when you dial up to eat.

I agree, I think (and use) the term to mean upping the amount of insulin taken or upping the ratio so it's a "bigger" number as Bradford said.

It actually isn't discernible from context. I was shocked at the term because, as I see on here, folks are thinking it goes both ways. 1:8 you're covering more carbs as Zoe says. And acid, you're taking it to 1:3, for example. More insulin per carb. Guess the editor didn't catch it. Written by a doctor.
Thanks, everyone for showing that the term shouldn't be used.

Well,, I try to be more precise if I'm posting in a thread and spell it out like "if you are taking 10C/U of insulin, try 12C or 8C depending on what you are going for?". That way both the "before" and the "after" of the ratios are spelled out, to minimize the potential for a potentially hair-raising adventure. I don't mind the term that much but I might try to avoid it because of the potential for miscommunication.

Well it says "increasing your bolus" ratio so I read it to mean you increase the amount of insulin you bolus. I do not see how it could mean anything else but maybe it is because I read things literally.

In addition to your insulin to carb ratio, a bolus ratio can also be a correction ratio. So if 1 unit of insulin usually lowers your BG by 50 points as a correction, you might increase your insulin for a correction by using 1 unit to lower you for every 40 points above your target BG.

I agree with those who think that it means to increase your insulin. But I certainly advise you to never makes changes to your insulin regimen without completely understanding what you're doing.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service