Hi all!

Just wondering if anyone here has tried or uses the Sure-T infusion sets. I've been using the Quick-Set for as long as I can remember, but my endo told me I need to switch.

There are three things that seem like I'd need to get adjusted to:
1. The self-insersion. I love my spring-loaded inserter!
2. The two circles attached to me. My abdomen is limited on flat real estate (too many insulin injections in one spot as a child) so I'm curious about how it works with the two attachments.
3. The metal needle itself. The thought kind of grosses me out. Please tell me it's not that bad! ;)

Any and all insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Views: 3904

Replies to This Discussion

I love the Sure-T's! Very easy to insert and I don't get hooked on door knobs like I did with the sillolette's. You will love the Sure-T's!!!

I have been using Medtronic 's Sure-T's for well over 2 years; pumping for over 10 years . I use the 8 mm after I used the 5 mm for a while .I do cover the needle part with IV3000 tape for security ...but maybe excessive ??
I have communicated with MM ( USA and Canadian Reps ) many times , that I would like the longer tubing ( 40 inches ??) instead of the 23 inches , however this is not the case . I would like to use my arms , legs and buttocks ; impossible for me to do this with the 23 inches length tubing ...I keep on ASKing . If I recall the Sure-T's are just a bit less expensive, but I do change the site around every 50 hours .

Hi Nel. I use the 32" Sure-T, which I love for the ability to move the needle when necessary w/o changing the infusion. About the tubing length -- some people have written that they wear the pump in their pocket, sewing a pocket into their clothing if necessary, then making a little slit in the pocket to run the tubing through. This should allow you to use the needle just about anywhere.

I love the Sure T....I have tried them all and this one seems to work best...I do use Quick Sets on my legs though.

I've been using Sure-T sets for about four months now. I was having so many problems with the Silhouettes. Almost every time I would insert them I would bleed or the end of the tube would bend and I'd have to start over. I was so frustrated that I was about to go off of the pump for a little while. I mentioned my problems to my nurse practitioner and she gave me some Sure-Ts to try.

I'm so happy with them! The little needles cause me no pain (so much less than the Silhouettes). I have been changing them every 2 days, since my 3rd day numbers have been a lot higher.

I am going through a very frustarting time right now...just as you said, the end of the tube bends. Everytime I try to use the Quickset on my stomach, the end of the tube bends and I end up with No Delivery and have to start over. This gets frustrating and expensive. I have started to get the same thing happening now that I have moved to my lower back...it is becoming more frequent. The insert site can also be painfull. It sounds like I may be a good candiate for the Sure-T. Any recommendations on tubing length or other suggestions before I request these from Minimed??

I prefer short cannulas with long tubing, so I use the 6mm cannula with 32" tubing. No complaints so far! Someone suggested requesting a sample from Minimed if you'd like to try before you buy! The other nice thing about Sure-T's is that they're cheaper than the other infusions sets. ;)

I am getting ready to reorder from Medtronic. I might ask them for some samples of the Sure-T's

So, I ordered the Sure-T's and have used them since about mid-December. Here's my review so far...

The self-insertion hasn't been much of a problem. Yes, it's taken me a little while to get used to it, and I've had one misfire so far (I inserted the needle, and got a No Delivery alarm a few hours later.. had to go home and re-insert).

I haven't had much problem with the metal needle. I can feel it sometimes, but most of the time I can't (just like the teflon cannula on my Quick-Set). I do have a little more sensitivity than with the Quick-Set, but it's not a big deal. I haven't had much pain with it, which is what I was worried about.

My endo did not suggest re-inserting the needle to get more use out of each set, though he said the set is handy because you CAN do that in emergency situations. He did recommend wearing the set for three days, so that's what I started off doing. But I did notice that my skin reacted to the needle on the third day (it was really itchy when I removed the set) so I've started changing them every two to two-and-a-half days instead, with better results. Now, when I remove the needle, I'm not as itchy, though I've noticed more bleeding with this set than with the Quick-Set. (I'll bleed a drop or so almost every time I remove the needle, when it was a sporatic occurance with the Quick-Set.)

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the set. My bloodsugars have been better over the past month or so, and I don't know if it's because of the set (this one is supposed to be more reliable) or because I've been paying more attention (it's probably a combination of those). Also, I like that the set itself lies flat against my skin--I feel like it gets less irritation that way because there's nothing to bump it on.

I'll come back here and leave a note if anything changes with more use. :)

Thanks again for all of the input!

Hi Lauren. After years of using the Sure-T without a problem, I got the No Delivery alarm during the night (Christmas night) but didn't hear it. When I discovered it the next day I removed it, then spent 24 hours of being high followed by 12 hours of being low. I was so disgusted I haven't used the pump since. I'm encouraged to find that you had the same No Delivery, but having changed the set out right away had no problem. That suggests that my pump probably did not malfunction, and maybe I'll try again one of these days! In the end, the Sure-T is the only type of infusion set I've really liked.

Oh wow! I can only imagine how frustrated you must've been. I was happy to be wearing my Dexcom (and paying attention to it!) when my set didn't work. I noticed I was trending up after I had been at work for about an hour, which was strange because I eat the same thing for breakfast almost everyday and that typically doesn't happen. I checked my bloodsugar and was about 190. The pump gave me the "no delivery" alarm when I was trying to bolus to correct it. I went home, gave myself a shot to cover the missed insulin and the high, and ended up well over 300 before I headed back down.

In my experience, the "no delivery" is typically due to a tubing issue (I've gotten it a handful of times during my 10+ years of pumping), not an issue with the pump itself. If you are willing, give the pump another try! And let us know how it goes. :)

Thanks for the info. My husband is encouraging me to use the pump again; I think I'm easier to live with while pumping! In fact, I don't have a lot of good sites to use, so I ration my using it for special occasions (like Christmas!) and weekends. You've convinced me I should try again next weekend.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service