I m suffering fromTYpe1 diabetics. I have a big query. Are there any chances of my kids having or inheriting diabetics . My family history donot have sgns of diabetics . And currently Im unmaried.

Views: 761

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I believe I read recently that T1 is an interaction of genetics and a virus. This might explain why age of onset is so different. If you encounter the virus when you are young you get it young, but if you somehow escape to later in life you get it when you are older
I have always found this topic interesting. My father was diabetic and died at the age of 27 in 1970. His mother had died a few years before that after having gone into a diabetic coma. I suspect he was a type 1, based on some of the things my mother told me about his regimen, symptoms, etc. He has 5 brothers and sisters, all of which were diagnosed with diabetes in their 50s or later. I am assuming they are classified as T2. I know at least 2 of them are on insulin, and they are all in their 70s and 80s now.

I was diagnosed a few years ago as T2, at age 39. I am overweight, however I had always checked my blood sugar fairly regularly and also had blood work done every year at my annual exams, mainly to pacify my mother because she was so worried about me developing it. I have been fairly insulin resistant and started on insulin after about two years of trying differnet oral meds.

I have three other cousins who have T2, and I suspect there are more who just don't want to admit it.
A break down on heredity from Joslin's http://www.joslin.org/info/genetics_and_diabetes.html
"If the father has it, the risk is about 1 in 10 (10 percent) that his child will develop type 1 diabetes — the same as the risk to a sibling of an affected child," Dr. Warram says. On the other hand, if the mother has type 1 diabetes and is age 25 or younger when the child is born, the risk is reduced to 1 in 25 (4 percent) and if the mother is over age 25, the risk drops to 1 in 100 — virtually the same as the average American.
I have a Type 1 daughter too. It's all over my family both Types are so I won't say one way or the other.
I've got T-1 on both sides but my mother was was 30 when I was born and I am the only child to come down as a T-1. So the odds on paper seem to be against me but I have yet to find any info on family members besides parents and siblings. Also if you factor in not just T-1 but other endocrine autoimmune issues, which my fathers family is crawling with. Makes me wonder, then again I have talked to a few people who view diabetes as more of a symptom of a illness then a illness itself.
All you just said is sooo true Jim. It's kinda a hoge poge on either side of my family too what with the D and the immune issues there.
I have no type 1 in my family, but my mother and all of her siblings have what we now know are autoimmune diseases. Mom had primary biliary chirrosis. Her siblings all had different ones. Grandma and all her siblings all had different autoimmune diseases. My siblings haven't been diagnosed with anything yet, but they are both uninsured. They probably wouldn't go to the doctor anyway, b/c they seem to think that ignorance is bliss when it comes to medical issues.
Hi Rajesh,

I've heard that type 1 diabetes is genetic, but I don't think there is any medical evidence that confirms it. My brother was type 1 diabetic and was diagnosed with it three years before I was. My grandma also had diabetes, but back in the '80s, not much was known about it.

As for type 2 diabetes, your kids could definitely get it because it's more based on poor eating habits, and a lack of exercise. Make sure you get your kids periodically checked, as I think they are at least more at risk than the average person.
Rajesh, the tendency is through genes. The possibility, however, may be upped by environmental and personal stresses. Or use of steroids. Or stresses of pregnancy.
Our environment is not getting any less likely to foster the appearance of autoimmune disease.
It is not just the tendency for Type 1 diabetes that is held by genes; the tendency for autoimmune disease is genetic.
One might have autoimmune diseases in one parent and diabetes in another parent, so the %s quoted are simply that, %s quoted.
Also T-2 has been shown to have a huge genetic factor. I think if both parents have it you basically have a 50% chance of having it no matter what. I work with a Ex Marine that runs marathons who just got DXed.
What about grandchildren? I am T1. My mom (55) and her mother (60) were T2 (both have passed). No one else on my side, but my husbands grandfather was T2 and now my mother-in-law is also T2. My husband has T2 (pre-diabetes which I think is the silliest term I have ever seen). The grandmother, mother and T1 ME has always concerned me as far as my beloved grandchildren (and son) as well as the whole T2 thing from my husbands side. I am still not totally convinced that it is an inherited trait. T2 has more to do with lifestyle and I think T1 has more to do with the luck of the draw. Stats? Ideas? Thoughts? Feelings?

WOW. my family is really a bunch of diabetics! But coming up on 50 years, I think it can suck, but it can also focus life in a meaningful way.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service