Hey everyone :D

Sometimes when I give myself my insulin and I take the needle out, a little blood leaks out or a little insulin leaks out. When that happens, am I losing some of the insulin that I just gave myself AND if so, am I suppose to take more insulin to cover for the stuff that leaked out? Thanks!!!

- A

Views: 122

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

that is great advice! Thank you :D What is MDI?
Multi Daily Injections = MDI which in my case it was up to SEVEN shots a day!!!
That's how I am too! Every time I eat something or drink something that has carbs I have to take a shot. I guess it's a good thing that I'm not afraid of needles LOL Thanks for the MDI knowledge!
Multiple Dayly Injections.
thank you :D I am definitely an "MDI" lol
Your welcome. Hey I didn't know that for a LONG while myself
OK, this is a funny coincidence. Just this afternoon I decided to measure how much had come out after my injection.

It doesn't happen every time, but sometimes -- even after leaving the needle in for as long as 20 seconds, a big drop of blood mixed with insulin comes back out.

So today I very carefully lay the needle down at the edge of the bubble of blood and sucked it back into the needle so I could see how much had come out. It looked HUGE on my skin, but in the syringe, after I thumped it down, it turned out to be only one IU.

I figure it is mixed with blood so in fact it was probably more like a half of one IU.

I'm still going to be careful when I inject, but I'm not going to stress out over 1/2 unit.
YOU ROCK :D That's awesome that you measured the blood drop. Thank you for info, that was very insightful and good to know. I definitely wouldn't worry over 1/2 unit either. I would much rather cover for a high (although not ideal) than go low.
You're welcome. I have found, as others mentioned above, that pulling the needle out halfway and holding it there for about five more seconds seems to help a lot.

Good old diabetes -- always keeping us on our toes!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service