hi friends! what do you think about the insulin pump? i'm a little hesitant about it and i don't know if i should start using it..by the way I'm type I.

Tags: Insulin, Pump

Views: 306

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One of the greatest medical discoveries ever for the treatment of diabeties. I've been using a pump for over 12 years.

I like mine but what makes you hesitant?

Maurie

I find mine effective and, in many ways, an improvement over MDI.

I'm a little hesitant because it looks complex. somebody says shot is better because it is more simple and convenient..

The pump is a more powerful toos so it certainly is possible to follow a more complex routine using one. The plus side of the complexity is that you have more tools to prevent highs and lows. I find the pump much more convenient. I don't have to pull out a pen and shoot up in front of people.

Yes, it is more complex, but the complexity can give you more precise control. I always had trouble with the uneven action of my basal dose. Looking back, I was probably having slight differences in the bolus delivery from my Novolog pen as well. So, while sticking myself with a needle was a lot simpler, having to constantly make small adjustments was not.

Once I punched all my carb ratios, corrections, etc, into my pump and programmed my basl, it's pretty much set and forget most of the time.The only thing I have to think about at meal time is how many carbs I'm eating.

The pump isn't the perfect solution by any means, but if you are willing to pay attention to some details and can deal with programming an electronic gadget, it can make overall control simpler..

As pointed out by "still_young", the pump offers more powerful tools that you MIGHT take advantage of, but you can use it very similarly to shots, with the following positive features:

One type of insulin
One needle every 2 - 3 days (infusion set)
Basal Rate instead of long-acting insulin
Bolus insulin can be delivered in less than 1/2 units

I see from your profile that you are testing anywhere from 6 - 15 times each day. A pump could let you "fine-tune" what you do with the information you get from those tests.

Are you happy with your current insulin therapy routine?

i'm happy with my current insulin therapy. but ofcourse it can be better. i want to pay more attention to my blood sugar. the positive features you mentioned made me consider about the pump in a more positive way. thank you

Insulin pumps can be great tools for managing T1, but they are a bit more work. They are definitely not (IMO) anymore complex than your average cell phone (way less complex than my iPhone), but you have to remember that the stakes are higher and messing something up can have some pretty dire consequence (although, in my experience, this rarely happens).

There are so many good things about the pump. You can really fine-tune your dosage (especially those basal rates) for better control, you're just using fast-acting insulin so the lows can be less severe/debilitating (at least, that's been my experience), and you definitely have more freedom to eat and exercise whenever you like.

But there are downsides to pumping too. There's more "stuff" involved, so you have more things to carry around and more things to buy. Cost is definitely an issue for many; the pump itself is expensive and then there's all the supplies (infusion sets and reservoirs) that you need each month. In addition, because you have no long-acting insulin in your system, you have to really stay on top of things and check your blood sugar a lot.

Yeah, I think of all the "stuff" that can be a negative, cost would have been the most prohibitive for me. Even with my insurance paying 80%, I'm still shelling out a good number of quatloos every three months for my pump supplies. That doesn't even takin into consideratopn the waste associated with pumps.

I am glad that you mentioned the whole waste issue!! Right up there with cost, that is the issue that always makes me feel so guilty. There is so much packaging and boxes and stuff to throw out. Whenever I change my site, I feel like I could fill a landfill with all my D waste. I wish companies would figure out a way to address that, both to cut down on costs and benefit the environment.

For example, WTF does each box of Mio infusion sets have to come with a 40-page booklet in a gazillion different languages? Is that really necessary?? I don't need instructions!

I recycle everything I can in my personal space, but looking at that box overflowing with dead Omnipods (full of perfectly good batteries btw), does break my heart. Not to mention the fact that there may be up to 10 units of perfectly good insulin left over in a dead pod. At 10 pods a month, it all adds up prettly quickly.

Insulet does have it's own recycling program you can enroll in, but it ends up costing YOU more money out of pocket.

Rock.................Hard place

Diabetes is teh suck.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Where are you Medicare? The elephant was not in the room

This was the question burning in people’s mind and passionately talked about yesterday and today at the General Sessions of the AACE/ACE Consensus Conference on Glucose Monitoring, an event to bring together in Washington, DC all relevant stakeholders to Read on! →

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service