hi friends! what do you think about the insulin pump? i'm a little hesitant about it and i don't know if i should start using it..by the way I'm type I.

Tags: Insulin, Pump

Views: 304

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Mio infusion sets I use have a little recycling icon on them. Anyone know if I can actually recycle these? I don't know what the rules are regarding medical waste. I am going to look into this today. I am also going to ask them about the Mio packaging stuff. It is just so much trash!

Regarding wasted insulin - I actually draw out what is remaining from my reservoir. Not long ago, I read somewhere that Humalog is safe to use in a reservoir for up to 7 days. So far, no adverse effects. Obviously, I would not do this if I suspected the insulin was bad or something. But I just can't waste insulin. It makes me sick knowing that other people die for lacking this stuff.

I think that the complexity of the pump to which Panpan Ayca alludes is built in to diabetes. The pump was light a lightbulb, not so much because of the insulin delivery, although that's a great bonus, as because it keeps track of things much better than I could. It totally made it possible for me to perceive things that were going on that I had no clue about with shots, because I was always "shoot and fix" with MDI.

The freedom the pump brings exponentially outweighs the learning curve. You'll presumably be trained on how to handle the infusion sets, run the pump, etc., before you are allowed to leave with it. There's a bit of tweaking of basals to get things set up, but after that it's usually a no-brainer. The real issue with the pump is the out-of-pocket cost for the unit and infusion sets. I'd check with your insurer and see what that will run you.

For me, the insulin pump has been life-changing. It was certainly worth the fight with my insurance company to get it. My eating habits changed drastically for the good, my A1-c changed for the good. my disposition changed drastically for the good, and most of all, I feel better. Control is finally attained. I read about all the problems with tubes, all the issues with infusion sets and have yet to experience a major problem. Yes, there is a learning curve, but learning is good, so that isn't an issue either. the pump was the one of the best decisions of my life. I strongly recommend it. I love my Ping, and would be very unhappy if it is ever taken away.

The MM 722 I have has a belt clip and I've hardly ever kept it in my pocket. Occasionally it will end up there but probably like 10 times in 4 years? If that much? The belt clip will either go on my belt or waistband very easily. I don't even notice it.

I didn't find the learning curve to be steep at all and I came to the pump having counted exactly zero carbs ever before I got it. I sort of had a vague idea of carb counting but was really just guessing.

thank you guys for all the comments. now i have more idea about the positive and negative sides of the pump. the reason i was confused about the pump is my doctor warned me to be more careful and in dicipline if i start using it. and i'm a little disorganized with my meal times and exercises:/ so i was not sure. i guess i will start considering it again:)

For me the pump has been great BECAUSE I don't really stick to any sort of schedule. Because you're able to adjust your basal rates "on the go," the pump gives you more freedom to do things on a whim. When I was on basal insulin, I had to adjust my dosage the day before if I wanted to go for a run the next day and avoid going low. But with the pump, I can just turn down my basal an hour or two beforehand and be fine.

You do have to be more disciplined with testing when you're on the pump. Things can happen that can interfere with insulin delivery (clogged infusion sets, dislodged infusion sets, etc) and you have to quickly recognize such issues because you won't have basal insulin in your system. That said, such things have occurred rarely in my experience and I picked up on them because I was testing regularly.

Keep in mind that the pump is NOT a permanent change. If you don't like it, you can stop using it and go back to shots.

Finally, I can say that while it did take some getting used to (i.e., having something hanging off my body) within a week it felt completely normal. I love being able to go out to eat and (more or less) effectively bolus for foods I used to struggle with.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MasterLab through the eyes of the community

The Diabetes Hands Foundation would like to thank everyone for attending the diabetes advocates MasterLab on July 2nd 2014. MasterLab was about building a sense of what is possible and designed to give advocates a chance to learn from veteran Read on! →

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service