Today, I learned about GoMeals, an iPhone application developed by Sanofi Aventis. From their site:

"GoMeals™ makes it easy to access nutritional information, find restaurants and keep track of your food intake. And if you have a health condition like diabetes, knowing information like calories, fats and carbs can be critical. GoMeals was developed to help you get the information you need to make better meal choices at home or on the go."

Since I am not an iPhone user myself, I can only share what I read about iPhone apps. So far, I've read about them. So here's what I have gathered so far:
* From diaTribe: http://www.diatribe.us/issues/18/test-drive.php
* From Twitter's comments by Diabetic_Iz_Me:
http://twitter.com/Diabetic_Iz_Me/statuses/5867584829
and JDRFQueen:
http://twitter.com/JDRFQUEEN/statuses/5869072922
all of which seemed pretty positive.

On the flipside, I sent the details about the app to a friend who commented the following:
"Interesting. It looks lovely, and the concept is great - I note that the reviews are not good, though. An average rating of 2/5 with 8 reviews so far (which is a small sample size, in fairness). After trying to use it this morning for my breakfast, I can see why.

I tried to add my breakfast this morning to my "plate" - poached eggs on brown toast. If the brand names of the (Canadian) "products" I was eating were in the database it might have been easier. As they weren't, it was quite difficult and time consuming to find and then add plain old "whole wheat bread" ("eggs" was easier), and I'm still not sure that the "product" I ended up choosing is actually right (is "wheat bread" the same as "whole wheat bread"?)."

Have any of you used GoMeals or any other healthy eating iPhone app?

Tags: app, apps, eating, healthy, iphone

Views: 1104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cool. I just posted my comments. I started using Glucose Buddy again today.
You're making me blush :)
I would gladly pay up to for an app like I described above. There are a few dozen apps in the app stored that come up for the keyword diabetes. Most of them are NOT free (and some are not directly diabetes related.

Seeing that Contour is now making a meter with a USB connector built in and it works for both Mac & PC, it will only be one more generation until somebody builds a new meter that can connect to the iPod Touch and iPhone directly. That will be the app that changes the whole scenerio for everybody. Then we will have a connector for blood pressure cuffs and bluetooth to our weight scale and running shoes so we can combine our exercise programs with daily logs. This will drive demand for a continuous blood glucose reading device that can fit in our ears and send data to a device that can also be read into the iPod Touch and iPhone for complilation and then forwarding summaries to health care professionals.
Khurt,

Why do you use Diabetes Log. What does it give you that Glucose Buddy or WaveSense doesn't? I'm just curious because I use GB and WS also, but I haven't used Diabetes Log.

-- Buffy
I'm not currently using Diabetes Log. I installed and used all of those apps at one point or the other. I'm still waiting for the "One App to Rule Them All". I want an app that includes an extensive food database (including restaurant menus), geolocation for finding restaurants, and a way to log and chart the meal I just ate along with BG reading and medication, and then sync/export all that information to a web site or desktop app.
I agree with you except one other request... I'd really like it to be Blackberry friendly. There are other phones other than the iPhone out there. I really love my berry !

dk
Track3 on the iPhone has 75,000 food items and extensive Fast Food and Restaurant and Packaged Foods. It's my favorite app at this point.
GoMeals rocks! I use it as part of my presentation when I sell an iPhone.

here are some links to some popular apps

Glucose Buddy
Fooducate
Glooko Logbook

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service