Today, I learned about GoMeals, an iPhone application developed by Sanofi Aventis. From their site:

"GoMeals™ makes it easy to access nutritional information, find restaurants and keep track of your food intake. And if you have a health condition like diabetes, knowing information like calories, fats and carbs can be critical. GoMeals was developed to help you get the information you need to make better meal choices at home or on the go."

Since I am not an iPhone user myself, I can only share what I read about iPhone apps. So far, I've read about them. So here's what I have gathered so far:
* From diaTribe: http://www.diatribe.us/issues/18/test-drive.php
* From Twitter's comments by Diabetic_Iz_Me:
http://twitter.com/Diabetic_Iz_Me/statuses/5867584829
and JDRFQueen:
http://twitter.com/JDRFQUEEN/statuses/5869072922
all of which seemed pretty positive.

On the flipside, I sent the details about the app to a friend who commented the following:
"Interesting. It looks lovely, and the concept is great - I note that the reviews are not good, though. An average rating of 2/5 with 8 reviews so far (which is a small sample size, in fairness). After trying to use it this morning for my breakfast, I can see why.

I tried to add my breakfast this morning to my "plate" - poached eggs on brown toast. If the brand names of the (Canadian) "products" I was eating were in the database it might have been easier. As they weren't, it was quite difficult and time consuming to find and then add plain old "whole wheat bread" ("eggs" was easier), and I'm still not sure that the "product" I ended up choosing is actually right (is "wheat bread" the same as "whole wheat bread"?)."

Have any of you used GoMeals or any other healthy eating iPhone app?

Tags: app, apps, eating, healthy, iphone

Views: 1245

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Haven't used GoMeals.

I use two apps:

FoodIQ ($1.99) uses the USDA Nutrition database, includes tracking for blood sugar, medication, exercise and weight and has an on-line interface for backing up and entering and retrieving data wherever you may be.

Restaurant Nutrition (Free) provides nutrition information for 58 chain restaurants, including fast food and sit down, and will direct you to the nearest location.

Terry
Hi Terry,

Are these two programs just for iphones? what about other cell phones? blackberry? smart phone?
I just downloaded the GoMeals app yesterday. I haven't really used it yet. I've only played with it a few times. I really LIKE what I see so far. I will let you know what I think about the app on Monday; I'm going to play around with it for a few days.
do you know if these apps can be used on any data/mobile phone?? i have unlimited data/internet currently and use a couple of other apps.....if so, how do i find them??

thanks!
myriah
The apps we've discussed are iPhone only apps.

Diabetes Pilot (www.diabetespilot.com) works on Windows and Palm devices. Check with your own carrier or phone manufacturer for apps that might work with your phone.

Terry
I use Glucose Buddy - Diabetes Helper (free) to track BG, meals and activity. (Also tracks medication, but because mine is always the same, I don't use that feature). I like it, but the graphs and the data that is output (you can send your data to an email address as a CSV attachment) aren't really what I want. There is an online part (also free), but surprising the graphs on that are just as limiting.

So I also use WaveSense Diabetes Manager (free), just for my BG numbers. I like the log it produces better. This data can also be send to an email.

Neither of these has a food database. I haven't found one I like yet, so I might try GoMeals or Restaurant Nutrition. I don't mind paying for apps, but I like to try the free first to make sure I really will use it.
The GoMeals developers licensed the Calorie Count Down food database. I am not sure if everything that your would find in Calorie Countdown is available. Like most diabetes related apps it fails in many way. Each apps seems to be solving a different problem. I love the WaveSense app for charting/tracking my BG but is has no food database and I must enter every reading manually. I love the GoMeals app for finding restaurants, mapping it, researching food choices etc but it has not diabetes monitoring. None of these apps sync back to my Mac where I can holistically get the big picture.

What I want is an app:
1. That can read data directly from my glucometer (or CGMS)
2. The apps would also have a food/restaurant database (or a separate app that can export data to the first one above) so that I could track my meals right next to my BG
3. A way to enter my insulin dosing when I enter the food
4. Ability to export to a desktop app or sync data to a web based app or desktop app
5. Run on a Mac.

I also want a glucomter that integrates directly with the iPhone/iPod Touch.

Is that asking too much? Maybe this is a opportunity for me to learn Objective C and write my own Mac and iPhone software. Diabetes Management - There is an app for that!
This is what I get for typing while sick. That should be Calorie King not Calorie Count Down
I bought an iPhone three weeks ago primarily for the diabetes apps. I have found almost all of them so cumbersome that I cannot stand to use them. It takes me longer to log a meal than it does to figure out what to eat, prepare the meal (or go out) and to eat it. This is not sustainable! Prior to all of this, I created my own app for my Mac and also created a version to use while I'm out camping without any technical support. In other words, it works with pencils and paper as well. I used it for six months to track my progress from 230 lbs to 189 and an A1c from 6.3 to 5.1. It blew the docs away in terms of comprehensive data and ease of use. I will share my method with you: it's a PAGES document that I've switched to a Survey Monkey document and am in the process of putting into Excel. Works in MS Word as well. Eventually I would like to create an App for it as well. It takes me only ten minutes a day to do. I've attached a pdf of the page for you to see. You can easily create your own template and use a three-ring binder to put your daily sheets in. Take it to your doctor and see the expression on his/her face. Priceless! Part of the reason, I'm also still working with it is to refine it so that it can compile weekly and monthly surveys. My endocrinologist wants to see all my breakfast readings, lunch readings, and so forth as horizontal slices of data. I'm actually hoping to use the printout of my meter readings to do that very thing so that the process is more automated. If you want to follow up with me and my group on this and the whole issue of apps, contact me through apartnershipofdiabetics.org. BTW: I now use the iPhone camera to photograph my meal so I can remember what I ate when I log it at the end of the day. It's a great prompt for my forgetful mind! The beauty of my system is that having learned volumetrics through the Pritikin Longevity Center, I no longer count carbs or calories. By learning what my body does with the food and nutrients, I am able to dial in my carbs by food choices and maintain without minute tracking. Maybe this cannot work for you, so I'm not trying to push something onto somebody else when it doesn't pertain to their own personal experience and methods of self-management.
Attachments:
I'm having a "why didn't I think of that" moment. Taking a photo of your meals is a great idea. Us old guys need all the help we can get. I don't often track my food intake because it's such a chore, but this concept (duh!) will help tremendously.

Your Journal covers a lot of ground, doesn't it? How do you consolidate the handwritten information?

Like you, I find the diabetes apps available for the iPhone to be cumbersome. I use Medtronic's Carelink to keep records, as well as the Dexcom software, and occasionally track my food intake manually. The only iPhone apps I use are Restaurant and FoodIQ to help me find and calculate carbs. I have absolutely no idea what volumetrics is. Never heard of it, but I'll look it up.

Terry
Oh, I never answered the question:

On my iPod Touch I have:
Glucose Buddy (FREE) which is an electronic log book for diabetes management. Track, BG, insulin and carbs. Data can be synced to an online account: http://beta.glucosebuddy.com/

Diabetes Log (FREE) is similar to Glucose Buddy but has no online component. Data can be exported to CSV and used in other apps.

WaveSense Diabetes Manager (FREE) does the same job as the other two above but has excellent graphing and charting.

GoMeals (FREE) is a combination restaurant finder, nutrition database and meal planner. It does not track BG or produce any graphs. Data is not exportable.

Combine all four of these apps, add a desktop component for syncing data, and I think we would have one compelling application.
And you want this app to be (FREE)? :)

I think FoodIQ is well along to what you're looking for with it's food database, glucose tracking and web based synching. But it doesn't chart blood glucose, only nutrients and weight, and its on-line component is merely for backup and data entry. Maybe writing to them would push them in the right direction.

For me, the touchstone of a 'killer app' for the iPhone and diabetes management is your No. 1 - can read data directly from my meter or CGMS. The data has been collected in real time and is available for use, except that I have to use the manufacturer's proprietary software to get to it. I admit it. I'm lazy. I don't want to have to enter information manually when I already have it digitally. It's like retyping a letter rather than re-printing it or taking it over to the copy machine.

Terry

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service