As some of you know, I am still in the stages of getting to know my new medical provider, so our relationship is not one (yet) where I feel comfortable saying "I want......."  But I am wondering about insulin for T2's....I've tried to stay away from it for as long as I can, but I am not getting the results I want from the metformin, amaryl and januvia that I want. I am on 2500 mg of Met; 8 mg Amaryl; and 100 mg of Januvia...of course these are taken at various times during the day. I am counting carbs 45 / meal and 15/snack  three meals a day, three snacks a  day.  I swim for 90 minutes (or am supposed to) I admit, I haven't been there all month...bad me.  And my eating habits have been hit and miss this month....so I am probably not picking the right thing to do right now.

Tell me about T2's starting insulin, how did it work for you?  Is this something that once you start you are on it forever, I worry that I am using up my options before I have to.....and later there won't be anything left to do....

Talk to me please

Tags: current, insulin, treatment

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Cathy,

I'm type 2 and started using Levemir about 2 months ago and don't regret it for a single moment.

I'm on a similar list of diabetes meds as you, and like you it wasn't working. Also, like you, I was concerned about being on insulin long term. I saw it as a sort of punishment for something I did wrong....boy, was I wrong.

Prior to adding insulin, I was getting fasting morning readings between 175-200. My bg reading this morning was 96. Huge difference! My goal now is to keep my A1c in the 5.5 or lower area and stop most of the diabetes meds (I feel they can be more harmful, long term, than the insulin).

I'd have to agree with other folks here who've suggested lowering your carb intake. As someone who was consuming more than I care to admit (can anyone say fresh bread lover), where I'm at now, 100 carbs a day, is a huge improvement. The carbs I do eat are quality and not wasted on second-rate foods.

As others have said, don't look at insulin as a life sentence ...once you're on you'll never get off...but as just another tool in your diabetes treatment toolkit.

Best of luck!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service