Ok, so I have been diagnosed about 2 months ago. Started out on 10 units of Levemir and 3 units of novolog before each meal. That worked well for the first two weeks. Then just like everyone said, the honeymoon took over and my needs decreased. For a couple of weeks I was on 8 Levemir and 2 novolog, then that bumped down to 4 Levemir and 1 novolog. I got two opinions from two seperate endocrinologist, both with the same conclusion. I had an A1c of 11%, fasting bg of 300+, and I had the classic symptoms (FREQUENT urination, thirsty all the time, dehydration, extreme fatigue, lost 30 lbs, excessive hunger.) They ran the normal blood tests and c-peptide. C-peptide came back at 0.9. They said this meant that I was on the low end, but I still had some beta cells working and eventually over a unspecified amount of time they will be killed off.

Both doctors didn't take 2 minutes to look at my chart and say you have type 1. They explained the honeymoon, and I have read all about it. I got approved for Dexcom, and Omnipod, my thinking about the omnipod is that I could bolus in fine increments and that would help me stay consistent.

Because I knew my basal would be soooo low, I just started at the minimum 0.05 u/h. I:C is 1:125 and I put that 1 unit of insulin reduces 300 bs (I used an insulin sensitivity calculator to obtain those.) My fasting blood sugar is around 70, after meals, I frequently dip into the 50's and 60's. My post meal spikes top out at 150. I guess I am just asking if my honeymoon is that good or should I be looking elsewhere? Should I ask about getting off insulin completely? I swear I think I could totally get off it and I would be fine. Just see the point in taking basically the minimum amount of insulin, and still having to eat from lows. I read that quitting insulin has bad consequences like when I would start up having allergic reactions. I also heard that taking some sort of insulin helps preserve my beta cells, but at a cost of going down to 60 after many meals?

Any advice, professional or personal experience is greatly appreciated.

Ben

Views: 856

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Zoe, I know I incessantly reference critters... but we always recommend feeding animals by weight, not by volume. Two things may have drastically different weights but take up the same amount of space. Also, containers used to measure 'volumes' of items may have slight variances from one style or brand to the next..

I am trying to weigh things too, but I am having a hard time adhering to it. I feel like once I have a little more time it will be a bit easier.

I think I read a study of typical honeymoon times in pediatric type one, mean was 7 months plus or minus four months, I think. Not sure if holds true for lada... my daughter is in 9th month of honeymoon, still low insulin requirements. best of luck, with omnipod and dex, you will be able to do an outpatient trial of artificial pancreas soon!

Natalie Hodge MD FAAP
www.healthergy.net

I personally don't think the term "honeymoon" is accurate for LADA, since the very nature of the beast is that our onset is slow and it is anywhere from a couple months to 4 years before we need insulin. I managed on oral meds for 15 months (I was misdiagnosed Type 2).

Thanks, Jen. I'm actually pretty happy measuring. I cook for myself 90% of the time and always make something to eat leftovers with. So measuring "1/2 cup of flour" is something I would do for a recipe anyway, and then I just write it down in my cookbook for next time I use that recipe. Then I divide the whole mess by # of servings which I'm usually pretty good at guestimating. I just was curious about the conversion from one to the other.

Aha! I just read the article and it explained it very well, thanks! At first I was going to protest that you still wouldn't have the "carb factor" because the package would just say "1 1/4 Cup" and not tell you how much it weighed. But then I got the bag of flour I used in my example, and bingo! Next to the "1/4 cup" serving it did say the weight - 33 grams. I'd never paid any attention before!

I guess I could see either system working, and it's just which feels less cumbersome to each of us!

For me, certain things are easier to weigh than do a volume measurement. For example, when I eat my Greek yogurt in the morning, I just weigh it in the bowl I'm going to eat it in and then I don't have to dirty a measuring cup. I find vegetables easier to weigh as well. Meat is another one that's easier to weigh, but I know you don't have that problem. :-)

you sound EXACTLY how i was for about a whole year!

dx witha fasting of 560, spent a week in hospital - type 1
@ dx 1:15 i:c and 25U of levemeir at night

a month later i was down to 4U levemeir and i:c of 1:75 -- that lasted about 6 months then i went up little bit by little bit

now 2.5 years later im on a pump, 13U daily of my bolus and an i:c of about 1:20

HONEYMOON PERIOD CONFUSED THE HECK OUT OF ME AND IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU TOO... believe me, i know how you feel!

feel free to message me with questions

Well, it seems as if mine was caught a little earlier than yours, which is probably why I am able to go with less insulin. I took my pod off yesterday at 5pm. Did not go above 135 for dinner, throughout the night my Dexcom showed me as steady as can be around 80, tested at 82 before breakfast. I am going to try and control it for as long as I can with no insulin, I guess that's why they call it the calm before the storm...

On a side note, I am a firm believer in miracles from God. I was reading about the history of diabetes, and less than 100 years ago, diabetes was a death sentence soon after diagnosis. Whether God heals me from top to bottom, or he simply gives me the medical needs necessary to live a healthy life, He has already worked a miracle in my life, as he has in so many of yours, in Jesus name! Just thought I would share...God bless!

You may be able preserve beta cell function indefinitely by lifestyle changes.

Dr. Richard Bernstein outlines a protocol that has worked for many people in his book Diabetes Solution. Also, there are theories that certain foods that cause auto-immune responses can be avoided to reverse auto-immune conditions like T1/ LADA diabetes. Robb Wolf of Paleo theories believes that auto-immune diseases can be reversed through diet. Here is an good article about someone who improved their situation with some diet changes.

I have have already benefited quite a lot from information that is available from both sources listed above, and many others. I wish I still had some beta cell function that I could salvage, but I've been diabetic for 26 years. I have figured out how to achieve quite good control and it's improved my health immensely.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service