Hey there everyone - so I have finally gotten around to poking around the site, here, and this seemed like a decent place to begin.

I am Jason Turner - the 79th person in Canada to receive an islet cell transplant.  

2 procedures - 5+ years insulin free

I have a blog over at jasonturner.ca/blog - hope you check it out!  I have a little video there of my 2nd transplant - some people find that to be interesting.

Add me as a friend - and ask anything you like - I am lots of things, but shy is not one of them.

Jason

Tags: introductions, islet, transplant

Views: 162

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nothing to ask at this moment Jason , however I will follow the discussion of a fellow Canadian with great interest . There are other transplant patients on TU .
Have you had any complications from the procedure? Was it life changing? Would you do it again? Is it what you expected it to be? Is the trade-off worth it, taking pills daily? That is all I can think of at the moment. I liked your video, very inspiring.
You lucky SOB. I assume your on Anti Reject drugs though? It looks like LCT will be the first to offer that procedure without them. Though I'd clearly opt for a transplant if they'd take me I am hoping either CureDM, Exsulin or Faustman can get the regeneration thing off the ground already. Anything has to be better then continuing Insulin although I could probably live somewhat peacefully with Smart Insulin. God Bless and I'd love to hear more.
Wow...I want to know more. Like Gary, Smart Insulin would be a cure in my life.
I am looking into the clinical trial beginning in my area. I am currenly being screened to see if I qualify. Please let me know what you think.
I'll have to check out your blog. Thanks for sharing.
I'm curious...how did you get approved for the transplant? Or--how did you get the process started? I checked your blog for the info but was unable to find any information like that. I am super interested and JEALOUS!! Congrats and hope you are doing well.
Congratulations, Jason. I'm thrilled for you that this is working. Fingers and toes crossed for the Forever Cure.
Hi Jason. Happy Birthday!!! How are you doing now? Joanne from Canada
Hi and thanks for posting. I had a full pancreas tx 3 years ago and love being insulin free. Hope you are enjoying yourself too.

Cora
I am very curious to learn more. First, why did you have two procedures? Did the first one not work? What medications do you have to take and what are their side effects? I have inquired about this and the response I always get is that while it would work for me initially, I would eventually end up back on insulin because my immune system would eventually target and kill off the new islet cells. And there are the side effects of the anti-rejection meds to consider, which are not insignificant (and, ironically, can include developing diabetes). Thankfully, I am pretty well-controlled and have managed well on insulin for years, so I don't feel the need to actively pursue something like this, but I am still curious to learn more.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service