Has anyone have had issues with the 723? In the last 2 months, I have gone through 3 insulin pumps. My replacement right away had A33 code, two weeks later my screen had lines going up and down across the screen, couldn't see a thing so they needed to replace it. On monday my pump while I was sleeping went completely blank, non-responsive, placed new battery in and it didn't power back up again. I just have received my new one and leary once again.

I've never had much of an issue with my 722 Insulin Pump, but when i went to the 723 - I'm having nothing but issues one after another.

I'm wondering if anyone has had much issue with Medtronic 723. I've had some words with Medtronic and really not happy. The representive on the phone had told me that I should invest in a backup pump. Mentioned that I'm lookin into going to a different company for my pump therapy instead.

Views: 5515

Replies to This Discussion

YES! I am a diabetes educator and many of our patients are on their second, third, or fourth revel. I posted about a year ago about all the problems we have been having with Medtronic pumps over the past 1.5 years. No delivery alarms, unexplained hyperglycemia and DKA, tons of bubbles in the tubing even after priming them out (and keeping insulin at room temp before filling reservoirs), condensation in the reservoir window (something must be causing moisture...leaking reservoirs), reservoir area smelling like insulin and wet inside...does that mess up the piston...leading to pump failure?? Anyway, we have exhausted our efforts to communicate with Medtronic about these issues...apparently "nothing" is wrong. We and our patients have reported these issues to FDA several times too. I am not completely convinced it is fully a revel issue but maybe a combination of problems - namely the connection between the tubing and the reservoir and the o rings in the reservoir. I am interested if other people are having similiar issues too...I will be checking back on this post...maybe Medtronic should be "listening" here too...

I just got the 723 ten days ago after having the 715 for years. So far I have no problems, but will let you know if I do.

I'm fixing to have my internist refer me to a diabitologist to help me get off the Medtronic revel and into a more reliable system. After a year of intermittent "no deliveries" I think it's a combination of lower pump settings to detect "no deliveries" and infusion sets. When I prime a Sure T and push the plunger hard, if there is no partial obstruction the stream will come out solid. But if there is a partial obstruction, which there are in approx 50%, the stream will break up, like putting your finger over a flowing garden hose. Given that initial partial obstruction the set will ALWAYS end up with a "no delivery" alarm.

I started on a 523 Revel 2 months ago and love it except that every time I change the reservoir, the insulin smell is horrible.

There is always a bit of insulin under the bottom ring and the reservoir area smells like insulin and is wet inside (just as you said).

Metronic kept sending me new reservoirs with different lot numbers, but it keeps happening.

Last night they finally said they'll ship me a replacement pump tomorrow, so hopefully that'll be the end of it.

I always lubricate the O-rings and my numbers have been fine the whole time, but I don't want the piston and pump to eventually fail!

I see I'm not the only one who has run into this:
http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/minimedparadigmusers/forum/topics/s...

I've had the 723 for well over a year now and I haven't had to many problems. I will say I get mysterious air bubbles that start out of no where occasionally. Sometimes I'll get real bad highs and then notice the bubbles in the reservoir as well as the tubing even though there had previously been no air bubbles. That's decreased a lot since I've started to lubricate the reservoirs before filling them. Also I do notice the smell of insulin in the compartment for the reservoir almost always. I thought that may be normal since this is the first pump I've had. Other than that I can't say I've had any of the other problems. What kind of batteries are you putting in your pump? I was told rechargeable batteries or lithium batteries will cause problems.

How do you lubricate the reservoirs before filling them?

Since I was having issues with air bubbles I looked through the book "Pumping Insulin" for tips. I was able to smell insulin so I thought the issue was from insulin leaking past the o-rings. The book said the lubricant on the rings can dry or something along the lines of collecting in one area so it suggests rotating the plunger pushing it in and out a few times to recoat everything.

Yeah, what lubricant should be used lubricating the o rings? Thanks

I understand there is lubricant on the rings for the first use. But I've been told that lubricant has been engineered to last just three days. I've been getting "No Delivery" messages on THREE pumps, count 'em. And I believe it's because I'm reusing the reservoirs and the lubricant is failing. Therefore, re-lubricate but WHAT to use?

I have no issues on re-using Reservoirs. I re-use 203 times and
pre-fill mine and keep in refrigeration for quick and easy change.

Filling is a key - Purge any residual air bubbles as part of the filling process. I find them maybe 20% of the time before I use a stored set.

Is reusing a reservoir safe? How do you get all the old insulin out of them?

Never try and "re lube" a reservoir. And if they do not move smoothly, don't re-use it.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service