This summer I discovered Zumba. It's a great cardio workout! Helps with stress too. Do you do any dances? Are there any good low impact dances for those times when one has suffered an injury?

Views: 102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Belly dance! It can be slow and sooothing, or fast and energizing. It isolates and tones a lot of muscle groups, and is plain awesome to watch.
Hi Aislin,
They do offer belly dancing from time to time at the local gym. Next time I'll try it out. Thanks Joanne.
No problem! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :-)
I do Balkan, Slavic, Greek, Gypsy and Turkish folk dancing, with a little bit of Scottish and English line dancing thrown in. It can be cardio if you do all the jumps and bounces, or it can be relaxing like a stroll. Women mostly go for the graceful part, and the men are athletic -- no one has ever had an injury with it as far as I know, except that when I was losing my brain from high BGs last year, I fell. And still didn't have any wounds, except to my pride, LOL!
The folk dancing sounds great Natalie. I'm not sure that they offer it around here. When I lived in Toronto they used to have an annual event called the "Caravan". They featured all the food, dances etc. from different countries. There always was a huge waiting line for the Ukranian Pavillion because the dancing was so amazing! It must take years to master those moves. Thanks Joanne
Well I missed the Greek Festival, because I caught a cold, but my friend picked up my ticket and brought me back some of the food, so it wasn't a total loss.

The folk dancing we do is not spectacular and athletic -- it's just enough to keep me mentally engaged, and enjoying it. I'm never going to be a marathon runner or a triathlete -- it's enough for me just to get moving, and ENJOY it. When I graduated high school, being a lousy athlete, afraid of balls, and having seen no reduction in my round (but not fat) belly from all those situps, I swore I would never exercise again. High-school PE was so painful both physically and emotionally, that I still consciously remember making that oath. So, for me, any movement is good. It doesn't matter what you choose, so long as you can find something you enjoy. Yes?
Belly dance. I also do hip hop & step. And as a retired dancer, I have to say, pole dancing is awesome...I was in the best shape of my life when I was dancing professionally =) Psshhhh and the husband refused to let me put in a pole when we had the house built. *pout*
Hi Jeska,
I did try step a long time ago. I loved it. They don't seem to offer it so much anymore. I've never tried hip hop. You are the second one to mention belly dance. I'll definitely check it out if an instructor comes up here again. I saw the pole dance on Oprah a few years ago....surprised that your hubby didn't want you to have the pole. :)
Thanks,
Joanne
Jeska, have you ever heard of Felix Cane? Speaking of "good shape"... wowzers! I bet most body-builders envy her physique! Check out her site! www.felixcaneinc.com
Clogging is my dance of choice.
Jim: I wasn't sure what clogging was so I just watched a few videos. It's great! Thanks.
Joanne

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service